Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear piercing? What age?

Default Ear piercing? What age?

When did you/will you allow your child to get their ears pierced?

DD1 picked out a necklace and earring set that was on display to show us the other day. DH surprised me by saying that if she wanted her ears pierced right now, he would be ok with that. Me, not so much. But it got me thinking about it again.

I will pierce dd ears when she asks for them to be pierced (and old enough to mostly take care of them).

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    I will pierce dd ears when she asks for them to be pierced (and old enough to mostly take care of them).
    Ditto!

We got Sophia's ear pierced at 7 months. She did fine with it. Wal-Mart sells kits starting at $15 and they will use a disposable gun that has not been used on anyone else's ears.

I let Brynna and Tea and Moira get theirs done when they were 4, 5, and 6. They all got them done around the same time because they asked for them. It was a nightmare. Tea and Moira both had reactions to the metal and infections. Brynna was the only one who had no problems with hers. I went to the morons in the mall because that's all I knew. They messed Tea's up really bad. The first time they actually pierced her ear crooked so that the back of the earring came out through the cartilage above her ear lobe. They had to take it out and redo it. It was horribly traumatic then infection set in and they had to be removed anyway. With Moira I went to the pediatrician and it was just as bad. Now I know better. Ambria wants hers done. She is 6. Maybe next year when she is closer to 8 I will take her to a professional piercer and let her get them done. I would never ever go to anyone but a professional piercer now that I know better, and they won't usually pierce a child that hasn't consented to it and is a bit older.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

I don't have a little girl but if I did, around 7 or 8 when they are old enough to start learning how to take care of it.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Same. DD1 is 5 1/2 and has asked a few times but then has forgotten. When she's really persistent she can get them. I also told her it hurts like a shot, so I think that is why she never pushes for them. I plan to go to the Pedi when she is ready.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

My oldest was 6 months old. My middle DD was 6 years old.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane View Post
    I let Brynna and Tea and Moira get theirs done when they were 4, 5, and 6. They all got them done around the same time because they asked for them. It was a nightmare. Tea and Moira both had reactions to the metal and infections. Brynna was the only one who had no problems with hers. I went to the morons in the mall because that's all I knew. They messed Tea's up really bad. The first time they actually pierced her ear crooked so that the back of the earring came out through the cartilage above her ear lobe. They had to take it out and redo it. It was horribly traumatic then infection set in and they had to be removed anyway. With Moira I went to the pediatrician and it was just as bad. Now I know better. Ambria wants hers done. She is 6. Maybe next year when she is closer to 8 I will take her to a professional piercer and let her get them done. I would never ever go to anyone but a professional piercer now that I know better, and they won't usually pierce a child that hasn't consented to it and is a bit older.
    Ugh, what a horrible experience!

I worked as one of those morons in a mall jewelry shop once. lol It was awful. It was one of those little kiosk jewelry shops in the middle of the mall hallways. I just thought I would be selling jewelry, but then found out I had to pierce ears also. The worst day of that job was when a mom brought her baby in to get her ears pierced. They only have one person working the store at a time, so I was alone and it meant I had to pierce one side at a time. Of course after the first piercing the baby was screaming and didn't want me anywhere near her other ear. So I was trying to pierce this baby's ear who was wiggling and shaking her head and screaming. Ugh. I finally told them they would just have to come back later, when she was calmed down.
    I quit shortly after.

this

If I have a daughter this is what we will do and it is what my parents did for me.

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

Whenever she asks. Last summer she wanted to so we went to the place and she changed her mind. That was perfectly fine and I told her whenever she wants, or if she never she wants-totally up to her.

Same as others have mentioned - when they ask and understand what it really means to have them done and can take care of them That will probably be different ages for each of them. DD1 is 6 and has been talking about it. DD2 will be 4 on Wed so I could see them getting them done at the same time if one of them decides they are ready.
    Last edited by macksmom; 02-23-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

She had hers done when she was a month or two old; it is cultural. The pedi's office has a nurse who specializes, and she was meticulous. They applied a numbing cream, so she didn't even realize what was happening, beyond not liking being held so tightly.
    Last edited by Suja; 02-23-2013 at 04:19 PM.

We will do it whenever DD asks for it to be done. I was in the 6th grade before I ever had mine done.

We got DD's done when she was 7 months. Her pediatrician's office had someone who specifically did the piercings.

Kristy (32), Kirk (39), Jodi (4), Joey (16 months) and our dogs, Oreo and Wiggles

Whenever she is old enough to ask and take care of them. I will be taking her to a professional piercer just like we did with my stepaughter. I had a friend who pierces for a living and told me horror story of the guns. He had to redo mine because the first time was done incorrectly by a gun at Claire's and it was horrible :/

We just took My stepdaughter to get hers done. We called a tattoo shop and asked to speak to the piercer and he said he would only do it if she agreed to it.she was seven years old and approached us and asked us to take her. He was so much nicer then Claire's people. Yes they have to do one ear at a time but it is so much better than the gun. She took it very well but you have got to make sure to talk to your little one about it and prepare them.

When they are old enough to ask and take care of them. I didn't have mine done until I was 16.

My 3 year old has already started asking but we will wait until she is much older and can take care of them herself. I remember my Mom taking me when I was in elementary school; it was a good memory and I would like the same for my DD. I didn't know the pedi's office did it. Thanks for that information

I don't have a daughter, but if I ever do, I will wait unti she asks for it, and I feel that she is old enough to take care of them herself. I would never, ever take her to the mall or any place that uses a gun, but to a professional piercer at a tattoo and piercing studio that uses a needle, instead. I got my first ones done at the mall when I was 10, and have since gotten many more at a professional piercer.
    Jennifer

I'll take her to a professional piercer when she really wants them done, which means she understands it will hurt and that she has to take care of them. My youngest nieces had theirs pierced a few weeks ago, and Emme asked if she could have hers done. It was more "would my mom let me do that?", not so much a "I really want my ears pierced." As soon as I said she could have it done when she was ready but I was going to be honest and tell her it does hurt, she said she didn't want to have her ears pierced.

I think it depends on the child rather than the age. I was about 7 when i first had mine done and it was the start of years of hassle and pain with my ears! I was a tomboy, always outside climbing trees etc, playing with wildlife, basically always getting grubby hands... I was always fiddling with my earrings and got infection after infection. My mum would let them heal up... And then get them pierced again. And again... I also pushed the back too tight and it got stuck inside my ear and the doctor had to remove it. Lol, yes i was a high maintenance child!

My DD is a mini-me so I'm not touching her ears for many many years yet :-)

Edited to add: i have since found out i am allergic to gold, it makes my skin swell and itch, and perhaps this is why I was always fiddling with my earrings, playing with them.. The skin itched, crusted, bleed, got repeatedly infected. As an adult, i have my ears pierced no prob.. It just has to be white gold or platinum which is not too much of a hardship lol.
    Last edited by V; 02-24-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    V (36) Single, working mum to DD (5) DS (3)

Mia asked when she was 3. She did awesome and we never had an issue cleaning them or anything. She loves them. I completely agree that it should be done when they ask.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    I think it depends on the child rather than the age. I was about 7 when i first had mine done and it was the start of years of hassle and pain with my ears! I was a tomboy, always outside climbing trees etc, playing with wildlife, basically always getting grubby hands... I was always fiddling with my earrings and got infection after infection. My mum would let them heal up... And then get them pierced again. And again... I also pushed the back too tight and it got stuck inside my ear and the doctor had to remove it. Lol, yes i was a high maintenance child! My DD is a mini-me so I'm not touching her ears for many many years yet :-) Edited to add: i have since found out i am allergic to gold, it makes my skin swell and itch, and perhaps this is why I was always fiddling with my earrings, playing with them.. The skin itched, crusted, bleed, got repeatedly infected. As an adult, i have my ears pierced no prob.. It just has to be white gold or platinum which is not too much of a hardship lol.
    As far as I know, I'm not allergic to any metals, but I had the same experience with always being outside and often sleeping outside, frequently getting infections, and getting them pierced when I was 7 and having years of hassles and pain. My DD doesn't leave stuff alone, either. I will do my best to talk her out of it until a little later.

Blog Entries

Not sure! DD1 wanted hers pierced last year but we managed to sidetrack her with magnetic earrings. I was ok with it, but DH thought she was too young. She hasn't really asked since.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I would have peirced all my girls ears when they were born (especially the twins) if DH would have let me. However, since he didn't, they will have to wait until they are old enough to take care of them for the most part by themselves. And I also will not take them to a mall/wal-mart to get them done. We will be going to an actual tatto/piercing shop. The damage those guns do you your ears is HORRIBLE!

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

DD had hers done at 5 or 6 months. My mother took her to get it done, for us it is a cultural thing. It was done to my mother and me at the hospital for all little girls. Thankfully no issues with healing and they are just a part of DD. She doesn't mess with them or try to take them off.
    I do have 2 piercing per ear and the second one was done when I asked for it around 3rd grade or so.

I didn't know the guns were so bad. But I am thinking teen years if we get a girl who wants them. I had mine done at 7 and they got infected and eventually we let them close up. Did it again at 13....same thing. I know at 13 I was taking care of them and wearing high quality ones. I can wear rings so don't think I'm allergic but my body doesn't like metal inside it I guess. I am just not a fan of piecings so cannot see agreeing to it until teen years if that.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

6 was the youngest for us becuase we want them to be able to want it and actually ask for it on their own...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

i was 10 when i got mine done and they got infected so i let them close up. sometime after i got a drivers licence i went to walmart and had them done again and without problem. then when i worked for walmart i was a jewelry associate and had to do the piercing. i got second holes as part of training, and they do not take piercing lightly, they had a systematic process of training for it and you had to do an associate volunteer first and then be supervised for an adult customer and the only way they would do a child under the age of 10 was if there were 2 associates to do it. if there werent 2 associates the customer was asked to return at a time when there was 2.
    i will not pierce my childs ears untill she is old enough to care for them herself.