Thread: Twin pregnancy - normal?

Default Twin pregnancy - normal?

So I am in the last stretch, hoping to make it full term or very close at least. Lately it is hard to get around. My back hurts which I know is normal, but I guess there is soooo much pressure on my lower body that it hurts like right at the top of my legs and the bottom of my butt so that by the afternoon I can barely walk. I have really only maintained my same weight, losing weight with GD since I have been on the diabetic diet since week 13, and gaining with the twins so I have not put on more than 2-3 pounds and that fluctuates a little.

Should I be concerned? I have one of those crazy jump to conclusions mothers that thinks it could lead to me going into labor too soon...

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

I've only known a few moms to twins, and I know they put on more than a couple of pounds. However, I've also known other women who lost quite a bit of weight during their pregnancy and were like you only gaining a few pounds in total. They went on to have healthy babies.

I think as long as your doctor is aware, and feels that you are moving along just fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure they'll hit a growth spurt and make up for it somewhere along the way ;)
    Angela, Andrew & Nicholas

Three sweet angels in heaven

Blog Entries

I also would only be concerned if your doctor is concerned. As long as the babies are growing (which is sounds like they really are) then your weight gain is just fine.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Yeah he is fine with my weight because I was overweight to begin with. I am just beginning to lose mobility here

I delivered at 38 weeks and towards the end I had very, very limited mobility. I can't remember exactly how I was doing at 27 weeks, tho. The last trimester was pretty hard. I know my fundal measurement hit 40 weeks late in the 2nd trimester and that's a lot of stress on your body. My back hurt all day- I would move from chair to chair and take hot showers. After I was on my feet for any length of time, my legs & feet started swelling. It's got to be very challenging for you with a toddler in the house! I would try to get as much help as you can. Good luck hanging in there!
    My 3 yo cuties!

No twins but, with GD I ended up -3 pounds at labor at 165 being 5'1''. I would talk to your doctor about your discomforts though. At the end Sophia was super low and it was an uncomfortable feeling.

No twins but I had an 11lb baby, and weighed over 200lbs. I could barely walk at the end, I can only imagine what twins would be like.

I would definitely let your dr know how much discomfort you are having. It is probably just the weight and pressure of having 2 babies in there, but it would be best to make sure it isn't comtractions. Your ob can send you to PT, that might help. Also seeing a chiropractor or massage therapist might give you some relief as well.

I would probably mention this to your dr. I know even at 31 weeks when I had the girls (and I was HUGE by then) I could still get around pretty well, I just got worn out quickly.

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

Sakura Guest

I remember having a lot of pressure like you're describing toward the end. I'd spend as much time as I could in the recliner with my feet up. It was really just the strain on my body from carrying two full sized babies (I went to 38w 4d and the girls' total weight was 14 lbs.) If you're concerned, I'd mention it to your doctor.

Thanks, I have an appointment on Tuesday so will bring it up then. I also still work full time and even though it s a desk job I am sure it does not help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    I delivered at 38 weeks and towards the end I had very, very limited mobility. I can't remember exactly how I was doing at 27 weeks, tho. The last trimester was pretty hard. I know my fundal measurement hit 40 weeks late in the 2nd trimester and that's a lot of stress on your body. My back hurt all day- I would move from chair to chair and take hot showers. After I was on my feet for any length of time, my legs & feet started swelling. It's got to be very challenging for you with a toddler in the house! I would try to get as much help as you can. Good luck hanging in there!
    This is pretty much me, exactly, except I deliverd at 37w5d. The end is really tough, and with my 3yo at the time? Hoo boy! It was so hard. I'd let your doc know about the issues, but I think you're just getting to the really crappy part of twin pregnancy. It's no fun at the end.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I went on an activity restriction sometime around 30 weeks, and that helped me a lot. It was nice to have a mandate to rest a bit. I don't know if that would help you, because with a desk job you might get more rest at work than at home, but I was supposed to be careful about doing too many errands or chores in a row, and I had to rest in between them. It does get really tough to move around toward the end.

omg I didn't know you were pregnant, let alone with twins!! Congrats!! I guess I'm not here often enough lol

I went to 36w with the trio & gained less than 20 pounds but lost 15 so I was hardly up over starting weight.
    Babies are all healthy but they did weigh about half pound smaller than most of the trips born around the same age. TheGD diet was so hard for me to get adequate calories consecutively. And the end with a three year....just miserable!

Quote Originally Posted by spiscariot View Post
    omg I didn't know you were pregnant, let alone with twins!! Congrats!! I guess I'm not here often enough lol
    LOL!!! Thank you! Yes, we are expecting boy/girl twins in May, will be posting pics on FB once they arrive, I have some 3D ultrasound pics on there already.