Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eve's in the hospital

Default Eve's in the hospital

As some of you have seen on Facebook, Eve was hospitalized with a bacterial infection somewhere in her body. She has had a high fever since early Thursday morning that would come down with fever reducers, but come back up when it wore off. Aside from the fever and irritability, she has no other symptoms. Lab work was done and her white blood cell count was 27,000 and her CRP (C Reactive Protein) was 13 (range is 0.0-09). CRP indicates level of infection or something. We had to do a spinal tap and the fluid appears clear thankfully. Meningitis had been mentioned by the doctor previously. We won't know what she has until something grows on the culture- which takes up to 48 hours which is at least how long we are here for. She is getting two IV antibiotics as well. I have never had a child hospitalized before and certainly wasn't expecting to end up here. I was thinking ear infection when I took her to the doctor yesterday. Any one ever have experience with any of this? Thoughts and prayers appreciated of course.

Update 10:52a: Doctor was just in. Her white count is down to 20,000 and CRP down to 11 which is improvement. Nothing showing on the blood, urine, or spinal at this point. Just waiting to see if something grows. Here at least 48 hours and as long as she is still spiking high fevers we have to stay here.

Update 2/24: We are in here until tomorrow morning since she was spiking a fever yesterday afternoon and had a low grade one again last night. Doing much better though. WBC is now in the normal range, CRP is down to 7 (still high since 0.2 is the high end of the range), and all cultures still negative. Urine 100% negative for sure, and spinal and blood they do for 5 days, but we don't have to stay 5 days. If it stays negative, we will just not have a diagnosis for sure. Which I hate not knowing, but I'd rather have the unknown and her better
    Last edited by MamaKat; 02-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

No experience- just wanted to offer hugs and prayers! Hope your little one gets better quickly!

Prayers said... How scary! Hope she recovers quickly now that she has antibiotics. Hugs, Momma.

Sending prayers to you and your little girl!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

How terrifying. I hope you get answers soon and she starts feeling better!

So scary. Hope she feels better soon.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

Oh no, that sounds really scary. I hope it is something easy, caught quickly, and that she will heal and go home soon! *hugs* and prayers.

Hugs! Please keep us posted, thinking of you and your family.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

No experience to share, just wanted to to offer hugs, and my thoughts and prayers. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Oh no! I hope for a quick recovery. You guys are in my thoughts

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

I hope the docs figure it out soon!!

My niece had an infection like that in her foot and was in the hospital for a little bit. Then I got an infection in my wrist but we caught it in time and treated it with meds. Then my sister started to get an infection (I forget where on her body) but hers was caught super early. With mine and my nieces the infected area was swollen and a little red. I wasn't able to use my wrist for a few weeks and my niece was on crutches for a long time.

I don't know if my expirence is the same as yours. Hang in there

...praying!! (((Big hugs)))! No experience here but I hope they locate the infection quickly and the abx do their job !

Thinking of you momma!
    Last edited by kellyowens; 02-23-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I'm keeping her in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry! Good thoughts going out to you. I hope she continues to improve and heals completely and quickly. I can't imagine how scared you must be.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Praying for your family! Hope they find the infection source soon and you can get out of there quickly!

6w3d132 / 9w5d180 / 13w3d155

I hope she is ok. My thoughts are with you.

Will be thinking of you guys. Glad to hear she is improving though.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Prayers said
    KEVIN (5.5) & MATTHEW (4)

I hope that she's alright and is home soon.

Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way. I hope she gets to come home soon!

Oh goodness I hope they find out what it is soon and she gets better quickly. Oh man she had a spinal done . It absolutely broke my heart when Wesley went through that but it really is the best test to rule out major things. Having a child hospitalized is so hard. I am praying for you and your little one. I hope you get to go home soon!

Thanks all. We are supposed to be 24 hours fever free before we can go home, but sometimes if she can make it most of the day without a fever they occasionally let them go home. She had low grade fever when we medicated her tonight, but I know it would have spiked not much later. I have no idea if we will get to go home tomorrow or not. So far the preliminary cultures have no growth so that is good.

I had some kind of bacterial infection in my chest back in September and omg, that was horrible!! Glad she's showing improvement and sending prayers for a quick recovery!
    ~Andrea~

Glad she is doing better!

Oh how scary! No experience, but wanted to send lots of prayers! I hope she's better soon!
    Jennifer

I hope you're all home safe and sound too!! Glad to hear the fever is slowly going down

Praying for your little girl. I hope she gets well very soon!

Posted an update in the original post, but here is a picture:

She is beautiful. Glad to hear she improving and hoping you can take her home soon.