Thread: Midwives and Home Birth

Hybrid View

Default Midwives and Home Birth

After 6 1/2 years of ttc, we have finally become pregnant! Now, it's time to switch the focus to planning for prenatal care and birth. I am very seriously considering a home birth and hiring a midwife. Have any of you used a midwife or are you planning to use one? Have you ever had a home birth or are you planning to have one? Is there already a forum for discussing this?

Last edited by WannaBaby; 02-22-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    "Before I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee;"Jeremiah 1:5
    :pray: Praying for a baby since June 2006 :pray: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/21a557

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I'm due in July and I'm planning a home birth with a midwife, the same one who delivered my brother, and she was married to my uncle too! So it's a family affair.
    I'm choosing a home birth because induction and c-sections are much more common than unmedicated vaginal births in my area and I know that is not what I want. Also, I keep a home free of chemical cleaners and plan on using organic sheets and clothing and cloth diapers and I know that wouldn't be an option in my local hospitals.
    Good luck with whatever birth you decide!! KUP!

Unfortunetly I'm limited in my area because I'm to far from a hospital to have a homebirth.. SO ENVIOUS! In my small town location I also didn't care for the 2 midwives to choose from so I have an OB but she is VERY cool and go with the flow attitude and totally into my birth plan for non medicated and no iv, she's also encouraging me to have a water birth. This is my third and I"ve never had the option before so I'm researching like crazy.

I think the most important thing is to be comfortable with your delivery person wether you choose a midwife or doctor make sure you're all on the same page. I had an amazing OB with my other 2 boys too who always felt like a midwife he made us so comfortable and let us do everything basically on our own..

This is our first baby and we are using a midwife... after watching The Business of being Born with Ricki Lake it opened our eyes to our options and the benefits of midwives and homebirth.... We are going to be birthing at the birth center our midwife has which is about 10 minutes from the hospital. Didnt feel like giving birth in a small apartment I have loved my experience so far... not invasive at all and just a general good feeling every appointment not rushed or anything. We are so happy with our decision!
    On the flip side my aunt who has had 2 hospital births is doing another one cause she has had complications in the past but she is planning doing natural birth but having a Doula with her while she labors at the hospital.
    Last edited by Ginger_Laraine; 02-23-2013 at 06:02 PM.

5. Default

We are having our sec d home birth with the same midwife. We were excited to hStart seeing our midwife again. The care seems far superior to what we would be getting with an OB.
    Sarah (31) & DH Matt (35)

If you liked business of being born check out Pregnant in America! I loved it.. even a little more than I did BOBB.

I'm lucky to have had access to some amazing OBs that strike me more like a midwife than I had ever imagined I could find in an OB, the only down side is actually being in a hospital.. but I'm comfortable in that setting. I'd rather be at home but being to far away from a hospital it's just to dangerous if complications arise.

And THANK GOD I have good insurance.. otherwise I'd have no option but a midwife because OB births are so expensive! It's ridiculous..

7. Default

We just watched Orgasmic Birth. Great compliment to the other movies.
    Sarah (31) & DH Matt (35)

I have had my last two babies at home! Wonderful experience! Midwives are awesome!
    Katie~
    DD1 (7) DD2 (4) DS1 (22 months) Baby #4 EDD 7/13/14

Thank you, ladies! I am fairly certain that I want to have a home birth. My husband and I both hate hospitals, so I know we'll be much more comfortable at home. We live close enough to a couple of hospitals that we'd be safe if there's an emergency. I appreciate the documentaries people have put together about the concept of birth in America. It's sad how regulated such a wonderful event in someone's life can become. So, this moment in mine will not be orchestrated by hospital regulations or doctors' schedules. Now, I just have to actually find and hire a midwife...I have a few options that are not too far from me, but I haven't found one very close, yet. So, I'll keep looking around and I'm almost far enough along that I can start asking my friends about their midwives. Well, thanks again!
    "Before I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee;"Jeremiah 1:5
    :pray: Praying for a baby since June 2006 :pray: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/21a557

I am planning my 2nd home birth, this time with a midwife (last baby was an unplanned home birth). There used to be a Forum on this site for Unmedicated/homebirth (can't remember the title), and I really miss it

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I had two homebirths with a midwife and I loved it.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).