Thread: Another PT thread

Default Another PT thread

So my little one will go pee and poo if I bring him to the toilet and tell him to sit on it. He has no issues there... but he won't go to the toilet himself or tell me when he needs to go. He's just as happy peeing or pooping in his underwear / pullup. Doesn't matter if I strip him naked either, he'll pee on the floor. Any suggestions to help him learn? Do I just keep taking him to the toilet every now and then and explaining that poo goes in the toilet when he poos his pants?
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

ds was similar... i used stickers. M & M's. and ice cream as incentives to get him to go on the potty without me always telling him to go. now he goes on the potty when hes gotta go.

I dont think he is ready. If he doesnt tell you he needs to go I would back off.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

^^I agree. At this point it sounds as if it is YOU being "potty trained" as in being trained to watch the clock and take him at intervals as opposed to him showing any signs of readiness. He's still so young that it really isn't detrimental for him to not be going on the potty yet.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by DucksLikeRain View Post
    ^^I agree. At this point it sounds as if it is YOU being "potty trained" as in being trained to watch the clock and take him at intervals as opposed to him showing any signs of readiness. He's still so young that it really isn't detrimental for him to not be going on the potty yet.
    This. Katie will be 5 in just three months and she's only in the last few months consistently gone to the potty without being told. Around her 4th birthday last year, she was doing well, but then regressed during the summer when she wasn't in school or daycare and is now back to consistently going to the potty and only having accidents a couple times a week (as opposed to a couple times a DAY).
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    I dont think he is ready. If he doesnt tell you he needs to go I would back off.
    Agree. My youngest was doing this exact same thing early last summer. We could go an entire day without using any diapers, but as soon as I stopped taking him to the bathroom on a regular basis, he'd have accident after accident. It was exhausting, and my mom pointed out that I was trained, and not him. It seemed so promising, and I kept thinking he was doing so well to be able to go on cue as soon as I put him on the potty, but he just wouldn't care about NOT going in his underwear or diapers.

I would hold off a while and give yourself a break. I waited a while longer and he trained in one day, with only two accidents.

I would keep offering the potty for him to go #1 and #2 because routine and familiarity are super important. I would also sit him on the potty every 2 hours or so. I would use a chart or stickers or some rewards. I would not push any further though as it might backfire against you. I am sure that if you do the above, he would start asking asking for the potty in the near future. He is well on his way to being independently PT but not quite there yet. My first one PT for 3 days without me following any special rules but my second one is like your DS2, gradual transition and not quite there yet.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)