Thread: moby vs baby k'tan vs mei tai

Default Baby carrying

I had a moby with my DS2 but we lost it during the move. I remember not being able to do without the moby when he was an itty bitty because it left my hands free for my then 2 year old toddler. Since I lost it I'm in the market again. I loved the moby but I do remember tying it to be a bit of a pain in the neck. What do people think of mei tai style carriers vs the baby k'tan or moby? Do they work for the kangaroo carry for little beans? What about a ringsling? I've heard those are great for BFing... I have the original Ergo as well (have not bought the infant insert for it) but just looking for something I can wear around the house and pop the baby in and out of.
    Last edited by Dreya; 02-18-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

I had a buckle tai and LOVED it! I wore my youngest until she was 6 months old, maybe longer!
    Becky

Blog Entries

I've used a mei tai and the baby k'tan with my first and both killed my shoulders/upper back very quickly. When I had my second child I bought the Ergo with insert and never used another carrier again. With the way that I am set up, I was never able to nurse in any carrier so I can't help you with that question.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I loved my Baby K'tan, and wore Mira in it until she was about 24 lbs. I am wrapping challenged (and short), so anything involving tying wouldn't have worked. Part of the reason I loved it is because it allowed me to face her out, and after a certain age, she did not want to face in. If you want, I can send it; I think mine is a size small.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I've used a mei tai and the baby k'tan with my first and both killed my shoulders/upper back very quickly. When I had my second child I bought the Ergo with insert and never used another carrier again. With the way that I am set up, I was never able to nurse in any carrier so I can't help you with that question.
    Just out of curiosity...what do you feel is different about the ergo that makes it more comfortable? I've never been able to use carriers with straps because they hurt my neck/shoulders so much. I've considered buying an ergo for my older babies because of all the good reviews but can't get past being concerned about the straps.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Just out of curiosity...what do you feel is different about the ergo that makes it more comfortable? I've never been able to use carriers with straps because they hurt my neck/shoulders so much. I've considered buying an ergo for my older babies because of all the good reviews but can't get past being concerned about the straps.
    Since with the Ergo and like carriers the child sits on a wide strap at the bottom, I feel most of the child's weight on my hips (I guess it isn't much different for a newborn since they don't sit in the Ergo but are froggy style in the special insert). The straps just keep the child from falling off instead of holding most of the child's weight. Now, after a long time in the Ergo my upper back does get sore but I have fibromyalgia. Any pressure on the the various trigger points get painful. So I don't know if it is just my fibromyalgia or if others eventually get sore there, too.

I carried my 25+ lb toddler all throughout airports and hiked with him in the Ergo. I couldn't even carry my first who only 18 lbs at one year after she was 6 months old in either the mei tai or the k'tan (the k'tan was worse) for more than 20 minutes. I felt no weight in those on my hips and all of it in my shoulders/upper back.
    Last edited by JJorn; 02-18-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

I had a moby, Ktan and ergo w/insert this time. I really like them all but preferred the Ktan at first, then moby, and now ergo (w/o insert). The Ktan is easy to put on while out and about without the bulk of an ergo. I stopped using it when she was about 16lbs I think. Its a lot like the moby when on as far as where she is positioned and no buckles on your waist. You have to take it off each time though or at least I did. The moby I liked at home or if I knew I'd be in and out of the car a lot. I would wrap at home then pop her in and out while gone. I don't like wrapping while out so I kept it in the house to put on before leaving and kept the Ktan in the car to put on easily while out. The moby spread her weight out a little more but under 16lbs it didn't really matter to me. The ergo w/insert was nice for long walks. I just liked the moby and Ktan since nothing was around my waist so sitting down or kneeling to reach things while shopping was easier.

I have not tried a mei tei. I have a k'tan and moby. I did not like the k'tan because I did not feel I could get as snug of a fit in the baby as I could with the Moby.

i love my k'tan. i found it so much easier to use than the moby, and really the same end result. for a nb, i don't see the need for all the excess fabric and work of wrapping - i just need to get my fussy lo in there quickly so that he can calm down! lol. i also have an ssc for when he's older.

The only thing I can weigh in on this is ktan vs moby in the fact that the ktan you cant tighten and the moby you can. I think for little ones the ktan is fine but they will outgrow it faster than the moby since it stretches when they are older and you cant tighten it up. I was all set with all these carriers but never got the chance to use them with my situation so I cant really say but I know this about the ktan vs moby. And why spend all that money on a ktan when you can only use it so long.

Quote Originally Posted by rtroth View Post
    The only thing I can weigh in on this is ktan vs moby in the fact that the ktan you cant tighten and the moby you can. I think for little ones the ktan is fine but they will outgrow it faster than the moby since it stretches when they are older and you cant tighten it up. I was all set with all these carriers but never got the chance to use them with my situation so I cant really say but I know this about the ktan vs moby. And why spend all that money on a ktan when you can only use it so long.
    There is a thing in the back that can be used to tightern up. I don't remember ever having issues with fit, and if it stretches out too much, washing it kind of un-stretches it. If anything, my problem ended up being that it wasn't stretching enough, which is why we abandoned it when Mira was around 24 lbs.

i have a ring sling and a homemade moby wrap... the ring sling is awful... i never felt that my bby was safe and secure in it so i only used it to help me hold baby, i was too worried that they would fall out so i was never hands free with it.
    the moby is great though, i can pop baby in it and feed her hands free, i can handle my 2.5 yr old while carrying my 10 month old.
    buut thats all i have. i don't have alot of money so thats why i only have a homemade moby. and the ring sling was fron 7slings or something and i had a coupon for a 'free' one but had to pay shipping so i tried it

Blog Entries

Stalking. I have a mei tai my mom made for me when Ali was a baby and I used it a lot...but the long straps were kind of a pain. I'd love to try a moby this time around but I'm afraid I won't be able to figure it out!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

So I think I'm actually going to either make or buy a woven this time around! We'll see what my neighbor (who knows how to sew) can teach me.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Good luck! The Ktan is very dependent on buying the right size. The loop in back doesn't adjust size so much as distributing the weight a little.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    Stalking. I have a mei tai my mom made for me when Ali was a baby and I used it a lot...but the long straps were kind of a pain. I'd love to try a moby this time around but I'm afraid I won't be able to figure it out!
    easy to figure out if you go on youtube and search for videos and do what they do, thats what I had to do and it was no problem.