Thread: Gift giving question

Default Gift giving question

I'm just not sure what proper etiquette is here. My family is very generous and likes to get the kids gifts for any and every occasion. Usually it is something small, like chocolate or something. But there are certain things that I'm sick of getting. Number one is chocolate. My kids are 1 and 3, we don't let them eat a lot of chocolate. It's not forbidden or anything, but they know its a treat and not a normal everyday thing. DH and I will eat it occasionally, but not in huge quantities. Because of this we still have Christmas candy hanging around the house! I also hate collecting dollar store or check out line seasonal stuffed animals....they end up all over my house.

I am grateful that my family likes to spoil my kids and treat them to things, but I also don't want our kids to come to expect it, kwim? I am thinking about it because valentines day is upon us. Is there a polite way to tell them to not get the kids anything? I've mentioned before at big holidays that the kids don't eat a lot of candy (especially when the youngest was under a year) and told them to go easy on it cause DH and I didn't want to end up eating it all. They did seem to listen. We did get some candy, but nothing over the top. So I may be worried for nothing, but i'm just wondering what anyone else in this situation has done?
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

We had the same issue. We started asking for experiences, eg. could you contribute to a trip to the zoo, to a gymnastics class etc. Could you get her leotard that she needs anyhow? Would you sponsor an animal in her honor?
    They mostly got the message without hurt feelings. What candy we do get, I bring to work. Stuffed animals get donated, we have an entire closet full of them already!!

we had the same situation. things have really calmed down with mil and the gift-giving. we (well, dh) told her how much we appreciate her generosity, but what the kids really enjoy is time spent with her and fil. He talked to her about how we are getting rid of a lot of toys since we have no room for anything. We suggested that if she really felt compelled to get something, the boys could use PJs or craft supplies (something consumable). That was not just one conversation, but rather many many months of talking about it.

what worked for me is to always have a wish list on amazon with small things that are needed/wanted.... i told mil that i update it often and instead of getting crap she used to get she picks out stuff from the amazon list. (its a win-win. i get necessary stuff and she gets to keep giving stuff at all holidays)
    i have things like art supplies and bath bubble stuff, sidewalk chalk, and books and she likes to get that stuff for the kids

Thanks ladies. I like the amazon idea..just not sure how savvy my mom is when it comes to that, haha. They usually do ask what the boys want for the big holidays, it's just these little ones that we end up with a bucket of candy. But maybe creating a list somewhere will still get the message across for all holidays.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan