Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stainless Steel "deodorant"

I'm glad I clicked on this thread. I am lucky and don't really use much deordorant (just not a person who sweats much)...just more a few times a week if that. But I HATE onion smell on my hands from chopping. I have never figured out how to get that off and just don't want to wear gloves to chop an onion.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Tif: I think the coconut oil in itself does the trick for me. I have to wet wipe in the morning but not with coconut oil. Amazing. As far as the bar goes, it removes odors, does not prevent them. But you can use the bar in the morning or just use it for hands in the kitchen. I used one years ago and it removed all kinds of smells from my hands: onions, garlic, meat. So if the coconut oil is just gonna do it for me, I will take the bar downstairs for the kitchen
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Bridget: sorry you had a stressful evening. Did you use the mixture or just coconut oil?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

We are trying this
    http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2...deodorant.html

And so far its doing great for us. I do not sweat much but my mom does and she noticed a difference.

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

I use that mixture on my body every day. I always make a lotion of coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin e. The mixture alone doesn't do it for me.

Wow, I am intrigued. I may have to order one to. I have been searching and searching for an acceptable deodorant but have not found one that would keep me stink-free for more than an hour or two. Except when it is really cold and I don't sweat ... it does not happen often in Florida. LOL. Thanks for the tip on the cheaper version

It is working for me. It's been bad since I had Sawyer, something changed with me. I felt like I could smell myself by the time I changed from my robe to my clothes. This stainless steel has been great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    It is working for me. It's been bad since I had Sawyer, something changed with me. I felt like I could smell myself by the time I changed from my robe to my clothes. This stainless steel has been great!
    I just ordered it finally I need to get in on this! I still need to make some coconut oil lotion/bars though....

If it doesnt work I will totally use it in my kitchen.
    Last edited by macksmom; 03-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I am ordering one too! $7 is worth a try.

Since the coconut oil is working for me, I moved the stainless steel bar in the kitchen. I really really love cooking with a lot of onions and chopped garlic and spices so the bar totally takes care of the smell. I would imagine that it would work on my pitskies as well.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I got mine I actually don't know why I didn't think of this before but I just used powder on my pits to feel dry and so far I am fine. It's also 38 degrees still so I am not sweating in the least. I don't sweat that much anyway but in the summer I was finding I would smell regardless of the DO anyway so I guess we'll see what happens. So far a cornstarch based powder is doing fine for me. I wonder if I mixed it with baking soda if it would absorb odors??? I HATE the feeling of cornstarch and powder but I just kind of slap it on there and move on. I would love some kind of powder bar or baking soda bar I could rub on. Anyone with bar-making experience have a way to do that?

ETA: In a quick search I found THIS. I guess baking soda can be mixed with the same stuff you guys mentioned above. I gotta get me some shea and/or coconut oil!
    Last edited by macksmom; 03-19-2013 at 08:15 AM.

UPDATE

So I got some coconut oil! Actually 54oz!!! For $14 at costco So I have been using that and then powdering with baking soda afterwards. LOVE THIS. I feel totally dry and I am not smelling at all. It's still in the 30s and 40s - hello where is spring???? so I need to see what the warmer weather brings but I can see using this for at least 6 months out of the year (from Oct/Nov-March/April) which is at least 6 months without traditional DO which I think is way better than nothing. I rub the coconut oil into my pits and then dab some baking soda on using a reusable breast pad

I am thinking about just moving the stainless steel bar to the kitchen but I want to see if I need it over the summer. So glad I checked this thread!

Great update. I too moved my bar in the kitchen. So far, coconut oil does its job but once it gets hot, I might add soda on top of it to hold better.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Great update. I too moved my bar in the kitchen. So far, coconut oil does its job but once it gets hot, I might add soda on top of it to hold better.
    I also read the c.oil could stain shirts so I as hoping the baking soda would act as a barrier.

Ha. I did not know it could stain. I guess I will use the soda if I am in a nice shirt. Thanks
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Based on this awesome post, I did a google search and found a DIY recipe which I think is working. To get the antiperspirant effect and not just deodorant, I think that the beeswax beads are key. I put in 2 T beeswax, 2T coconut oil, 2 T shea butter, 2 T arrowroot, 1 tsp baking soda, and some tea tree oil since this was the only essential oil I had on hand. So far, my armpits smell like cococuts and tea tree. I think it's working.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

Quote Originally Posted by suze001 View Post
    Based on this awesome post, I did a google search and found a DIY recipe which I think is working. To get the antiperspirant effect and not just deodorant, I think that the beeswax beads are key. I put in 2 T beeswax, 2T coconut oil, 2 T shea butter, 2 T arrowroot, 1 tsp baking soda, and some tea tree oil since this was the only essential oil I had on hand. So far, my armpits smell like cococuts and tea tree. I think it's working.
    That sounds like a really good recipe. I think I might try it for the summer when it is really hot humid and sweaty.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)