Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel "deodorant"

Default Stainless Steel "deodorant"

Just thought I would share because I'm cautiously excited-- excuse the mega-long single paragraph post, APA won't let me put in spaces.... I saw a post on FB a week or so ago about using stainless steel deodorant bar in place of regular deodorant/antiperspirant (was it Midge that posted it? Or Amanda?). This was the bar that was posted: http://www.amazon.com/De-Odor-Works-...+deodorant+bar. I was intrigued. I've tried many natural deodorants over the years, and haven't found anything that works. I always end up going back to traditional antiperspirant/deodorants. And I hate it. But I'm always going to try something new when it comes along because I really do want to stop using the aluminum and paraben laced crap. So I ordered a stainless steel bar, not the one in the link because sweet mother of pearl- it's $30! Instead I ordered the $7 that you're supposed to keep to use at your kitchen sink: http://www.amazon.com/Amco-318402-Ru...f=pd_sim_hpc_1 I was -and maybe still am- skeptical about whether or not this will work. They say it works to remove odors like onions and garlic from your hands, but will it stop your pits from stinking before the stink even starts? My bar came a few days ago, and so far, so good! I bathed before bed, and after I got out of the tub I wet my underarms, wet the bar, and rubbed it against my underarm. I repeated it several times on each side as the water dried rather quickly, then I dried the area well with a towel. Then I applied a little bit of a lotion bar I made with equal parts cocoa butter, coconut oil, and beeswax. I figured that might work as a little bit of an antiperspirant. The next morning I woke up- no stink. No smell at all beyond a little bit of the lotion bar I had applied. Good. Carried on with our usual day- a trip to the farm, then my sister and niece came over with their girls and were here for 7+ hours. Went to bed last night without a bath because I was exhausted after chasing around four girls 4 and under, but I did a sniff-test and I still didn't stink! Woke up this morning after a long night of not very much sleep cuddled up next to a little heater I call Emme, and my clothes were drenched in sweat. But I still DON'T stink! How is this even possible? Even using chemical laced crap, I would begin to smell ripe by now, 1 1/2 days after a bath. I do have to say it's been cooler than usual here the last few days, so I don't know if the stainless steel bar will work when things warm up here, or even in the 110*+ summers, but I'm willing to keep giving this a shot!
    Last edited by MomOfAnOnly; 02-10-2013 at 03:26 PM.

That's pretty cool! I have/had a huge problem smelly ripe 5 mins after a shower too. I got crystal deoderant at the grocery store and its amazing!!! Amazon has it too and a bunch of reviews too, just search crystal deoderant. I sweat less and don't stink

What brand crystal did you get? I tried some in the past, but I've since heard not all brands are created equal.

Ok I am trying to find something too. I have 2 bars of Tom's and they both suck. I think I got a rash from them and they don't work!So my problem is - I can't stand the sticky feeling. That is why I can't even just wear the d.o. it has to be antiperspirant. Does this make you not feel sticky? Or maybe if I made that mixture you described it would help? This is exciting! I'm willing to spend the $7 to give it a try. I have $6 worth of Tom's in my closet....
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Here's a pic of it.

I'm not sticky at all! Dry as can be, really I didn't even notice any sweating yesterday, which I normally sweat through my shirt when I'm active at all, and I certainly was with all the company here (gotta love pit-stains). And the cool thing about the lotion bars is you can play with the recipe if it seems too sticky for you. Just reduce the amount of coconut oil. And you can start out with a very small amount, enough to make just a little sample to see if you like it. If you've never made lotion/lotion bars before, making sure you have high quality ingredients is crucial!

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    Here's a pic of it.

I don't think I've ever seen this deodorant.... it's looks pretty big and would be hard to miss lol! But I'm saving this pic to my phone for future reference in case my stainless bar fails me. Thank you!

Thanks for sharing. I ordered it. If it does not work so well at least I will use it in the kitchen - I cook a lot with onions, garlic and spices.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I used a stainless steel thing years ago in my kitchen. It worked very well but we lost it when moving. It never crossed my mind to give it a try as a deodorant.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by MomOfAnOnly View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen this deodorant.... it's looks pretty big and would be hard to miss lol! But I'm saving this pic to my phone for future reference in case my stainless bar fails me. Thank you!
    I got it at albertsons for $6.50. It was on the very bottom self in the corner. I've been using it for a few months and have my dad using it too lol thanks to him I sweat and stink. It seems like its going to last forever too!

I am glad to hear this works for you! Nothing works for me all day long. I am tempted to give this a try.

Interesting! I'm going to wait for y'all to experiment and report back. The only thing that keeps me BO free is the clinical strength stuff, and I'd rather find something else, as long as it works.

ETA: It looks like the one Amber posted is available widely, from Wegmans to Walgreens and CVS. I have to go to Walgreens/CVS to look for heart shaped cookie cutters (I know, weird! But, I can't find it anywhere else), so I'll look for it.
    Last edited by Suja; 02-11-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    Here's a pic of it.
    That didnt work for me.

Ty for posting Carrie I can't wait to try it!

I'm not sticky at all! Dry as can be, really I didn't even notice any sweating yesterday, which I normally sweat through my shirt when I'm active at all, and I certainly was with all the company here (gotta love pit-stains). And the cool thing about the lotion bars is you can play with the recipe if it seems too sticky for you. Just reduce the amount of coconut oil. And you can start out with a very small amount, enough to make just a little sample to see if you like it. If you've never made lotion/lotion bars before, making sure you have high quality ingredients is crucial!
    Did you just google a recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    Did you just google a recipe?
    I'm pretty sure I saw a post on Pinterest for copy-cat Lush lotion bars. But it also called for shea butter and I didn't care for the smell of the raw stuff so on the second batch I omitted it and discovered I really prefer the bars made with equal amounts of cocoa butter, coconut oil, and beeswax.

Ok, my turn to report. I started using coconut oil instead of my super natural deodorant and it works much better than the deodorant. I just got my stainless steel bar ($7 version from amazon) and together with the coconut oil does the trick. I am dry and odorless. It is fantastic!!! About the Crystal deodorant, I bumped into a link on FB claiming that its natural salts actually contain aluminum and says not to use it. But haven't checked the source and investigated it. Just wanted to share.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

However, just out of curiosity I checked skindeep ewg for Crystal and gives it zero rating so it must be really good.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Mine arrived yesterday. But..um..i haven't showered yet. lolGonna do that tonight. Coconut oil you say? I have plenty of that.

Ok now I want to try! Carrie your bar "recipe" is just equal parts of those 3 items? Do you have to melt them or something? I have never considered making my own soaps or lotions but I like this idea and would like to give it a try....

I just tried plain coconut oil. Rub it on my hands till it melts and then on my underarms. I didnt have the butter or beesewax so decided to try coconut oil which I have in large amount. My nightcreme is equal amounts of shea butter and coconut oil and my skin is loving it.

This is really intriguing for me as I have struggled to find a natural deodorant/antiperspirant. That is one thing that I have been wary of going all-natural with. I hate being stinky!

As for making your own lotion, I usually use a double boiler method, and melt and stir. I have seen recipes that call for blending the ingredients, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth. I just made one that has coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, and vitamin E. There are tons of recipes out there

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    Ok now I want to try! Carrie your bar "recipe" is just equal parts of those 3 items? Do you have to melt them or something? I have never considered making my own soaps or lotions but I like this idea and would like to give it a try....
    Yep, equal parts of all 3. Super easy! I've done the double boiler method, but I've also just stuck everything in the microwave. Stir every 20-30 seconds until it's melted. The beeswax will take the longest. I always grate the beeswax it will melt much quicker that way. The bars are so yummy, and fabulous for heels, hands, chapstick, all over lotion in really dry weather- but not when it's really hot out too, then it feels too heavy for the whole body IMO. I use silicone molds, a big one for body bars, a small one for lips/face.

So the stainless steel bar stopped working for me. I'm not sure if it ever really worked, or if I just still had some of the old deodorant stuck in my pores and it took a few days for it to all wash off, giving me the illusion that the bar was working. But, to be fair, I have been doing a pseudo-cleanse, so maybe I'm sweating out some funky-funk.

Yep, equal parts of all 3. Super easy! I've done the double boiler method, but I've also just stuck everything in the microwave. Stir every 20-30 seconds until it's melted. The beeswax will take the longest. I always grate the beeswax it will melt much quicker that way. The bars are so yummy, and fabulous for heels, hands, chapstick, all over lotion in really dry weather- but not when it's really hot out too, then it feels too heavy for the whole body IMO. I use silicone molds, a big one for body bars, a small one for lips/face. So the stainless steel bar stopped working for me. I'm not sure if it ever really worked, or if I just still had some of the old deodorant stuck in my pores and it took a few days for it to all wash off, giving me the illusion that the bar was working. But, to be fair, I have been doing a pseudo-cleanse, so maybe I'm sweating out some funky-funk.
    Thanks! I gotta try this.

Sorry it stopped working. I am gonna give it a try myself. Even if I use it only in the winter it's still half the time I will use the bad stuff. I will always keep a bad bar for emergencies, 90 degree days, or special events lol.....

Make sure you buy the kitchen one! Fraction of the price.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Glad I finally read this thread...from the title I was assuming something like stainless steel Brillo pads...

I looked into the whys of stainless steel bars and it looks as if it removes EXISTING odor causing bacteria and absolutely does not do anything to prevent the new stuff. Tanya-is that what you're finding the coconut oil is good for? Keira is the stinkiest kid and has been since she was 3. It's seriously bad. It's almost WORSE in the first 6 hours after a shower. We've exhausted natural light deodorant options and she really needs and antiperspirant...but the stainless steel isn't going to cut it. I do, however have a HUGE jar of coconut oil...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tif, try mixing it with equal parts baking soda and/or arrowroot powder. That got me through my whole pregnancy! Funny how things stop working after awhile. I may try again though.

Yes definitely the $7 bar! Although I wonder if there is something to the more expensive one that may work better?

I was JUST coming back here to suggest what Tif said. Carrie perhaps the reason you feel it's not working is because you are using it after your shower instead of when you already feel like you notice an odor? I don't think it will prevent but the idea is to remove existing odors - like you wouldn't use it before you chop garlic but it works to remove it after, you know?

But I think it needs to be under running water.And I am feeling pretty sure that the more expensive one is exactly the same, just marketed differently. I read in one of the reviews that technically you could use your stainless steel soup ladel. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    But I think it needs to be under running water.And I am feeling pretty sure that the more expensive one is exactly the same, just marketed differently. I read in one of the reviews that technically you could use your stainless steel soup ladel. Lol!

I actually have heard (and tried) you could rub your hands on your faucet handle to remove the garlic/onion smell so I guess it's any stainless steel....which means you could just rub your pits against the shower faucet and be good I think the good thing about the bar is that you can have it handy and keep reapplying.....I just wonder how long it will last, you know?

I used it yesterday afternoon and i'm all good today so far. I usually need to wet wipe bathe in the morning from a sweaty toddler nursing half the night. Plus last night i spent half of it in the ER and then driving us back home in a blizzard so some bonus sweating going on.