View Poll Results: Do you put the cart back?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always put the cart away, regardless.

12 48.00%
  • I only put the cart back if I feel its an acceptable/safe distance.

13 52.00%
  • I never put the cart away when I have the kids with me.

0 0%
  • Put the cart away? Why would I do that? I never do.

0 0%
  • Other - explain yourself. Make it good. 5

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you put the grocery cart back?

Default Do you put the grocery cart back?

I was just randomly curious what other moms do. If you are alone with your kids, do you put the grocery (or whatever store) cart back in the cart corrals?

Sakura Guest

I specifically park near cart returns so that I can put the cart back.

Yep, I park by the cart thingy too.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

I try to park next to them. I've discovered that it is easier to park further away from the store but closer to the cart corral so I can put the cart back, than it is visa versa. Sometimes, there is no spot close, so I don't.

I almost always put it back, and like the others, try to park near the cart return. If I park near it, I leave DD in the car and then drop it off. If not, I put her in the cart, put the cart back, pick her up, and go back to the car. There is the occasional store where there is no safe way to return the cart or the cart return is full, and then I leave it where other people are leaving theirs.

I also try to park near it because it makes it easier to GET the cart and then return it too. If I can't safely return it then I don't. Around here part of the job of the store employees is to collect the carts so I don't really see it as a big deal. I always see employees cleaning up the carts. I try to help if I can but I will not endanger my kids to do so! If I can't return it to the corral I put it in a place where it wont hit other cars or be in the way....
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Always.. We also try to park as close to one as possible. My oldest likes to push it in. If I am a little further, I will load my car with DS1 standing right next to me and DS2 either in the cart or on my back. Then, we all go and return the cart.

Yes 100% of the time. It's a huge pet peeve of mine to not put the cart back cause then I watch them roll into other carts or the employees have to chase them down all over the place. It can be tough with kids but it's almost ocd for me. I HAVE to put it back. Lol.

I think that once, when he was a newborn, i did not put the cart away because it was so far away. I learned my lesson and have since then, parked more strategically. I know that sometimes, one just can't do it, but there's really no reason to leave the cart in a space or blocking someone's access to a spot. (which one often sees... who are those people?!?) That's rude, imo, to make employees chase after them or to make it impossible for another customer (like a mom with kids in tow?) to get in and out of the store with ease.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 02-06-2013 at 01:38 PM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I also try to park strategically, near a cart return but farther away from the store. I don't think I have ever failed to return a cart. On my days when I'm in a huge hurry, I put everything in the car, then rush back to the cart return with my kid(s) in the cart and return the cart, and then take the kid(s) back to the car. Now that they are a little older, they like to help push the cart, and if I have time, even my 2-year-old will help push the cart into the return. If there aren't many cars around, I'll let my 5-year-olds do it by themselves, if I'm close by.

Parking spaces are in short enough supply around here that it is a great hardship to leave a cart blocking a space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    I specifically park near cart returns so that I can put the cart back.
    That's me, too. Or if I can get a spot very close to the front door, I'll put the cart in front of the store.

Blog Entries

I always return. I park close to a return when I can but that doesn't happen very often. If the distance isn't too far I buckle my kids in, lock the doors and return it. If it is super far, then I put everything but the kids in the car, return the cart and then put the kids in the car. I'm often the person that collects all the abandoned carts as I go, too...
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

I too park close to the cart corral and always return the carts. If I am by myself I always leave the spots next to the corral for fellow moms.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I haven't read other responses....

I put it back in the corral most of the time, probably 90-95% of the time. I try to park near it- within 1-2 spaces. Any farther than that and I either won't bring the cart out to the parking lot if I only have a couple bags (I leave it just inside the store where the other carts are), or I push it up onto the nearest parking curb or cement island-- something to keep it from rolling away and into the door of someone's car.

Yep, 100% of the time. I do like everyone mentioned and park close to a return or take the kids with me to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    Yes 100% of the time. It's a huge pet peeve of mine to not put the cart back cause then I watch them roll into other carts or the employees have to chase them down all over the place. It can be tough with kids but it's almost ocd for me. I HAVE to put it back. Lol.
    This is me too. I always put it back.
    Jennifer

I am not able to vote on the poll for some reason. I always put it back unless I am alone with the kids and the return is too far away. I am not comfortable leaving them alone in the car and walking too far away.

And like the others I park near a cart return if I am able to.

I do it when I can. But there are times I have not. I truly try but I don't dwell strongly about putting it away. At my regular co-op the lot is small and crowded and there are no returns but more times than not, another customer going in Will note the kids and offer to bring it in with them.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I always return. I park close to a return when I can but that doesn't happen very often. If the distance isn't too far I buckle my kids in, lock the doors and return it. If it is super far, then I put everything but the kids in the car, return the cart and then put the kids in the car. I'm often the person that collects all the abandoned carts as I go, too...
    This and this. I would never leave my kids in a sweltering car or walk a long ways away but I will take them with me to return it. If it's a big issue I go to Publix where someone will help me to the car and return the cart for me.

BTW, I couldn't vote either...
    Last edited by Ambrelle; 02-08-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrelle View Post
    This and this. I would never leave my kids in a sweltering car or walk a long ways away but I will take them with me to return it. If it's a big issue I go to Publix where someone will help me to the car and return the cart for me.

BTW, I couldn't vote either...
    I have also gotten assistance out to my car when I have a lot. I think most stores will help if you ask

I generally return it if it's in eyeshot and I always hurry. I won't go where I can't see my car though, even for a second. If I leave a cart out I put it where it won't roll. I do take the time to try and park by the returns like others said. It's handy to grab a cart at the return and load the kids, a diaper bag, a purse, etc. into the cart as you're going into the store as well!

ETA: I also get an error message when I try to vote.
    Last edited by sunkiss; 02-08-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    ~Andrea~

^This!!! I get so ill watching others leave theirs out.

I always park near one of the returns -- and I don't think I've ever failed to return one.

Its a HUGE pet-peeve of mine when people leave them in parking spots etc!! They either take up a spot, or are rolling into someone's car etc!!

While I can't say that wouldn't just leave it out of the way somewhere if I was very far away from a cart corral, it hasn't come up. I live in a really small town so maybe our grocery store parking lot is smaller, but I don't know if you could park that far away from one. I also live and grew up in a town where people leave things like iphones and ipads laying on the front seat with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition so my point of view is probably a little different. I'm sure I'll have a much smaller comfort zone for that once I live someplace new.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyShannon View Post
    Yep, 100% of the time. I do like everyone mentioned and park close to a return or take the kids with me to return it.
    Yup, me too!
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

I can't seem to vote in the poll either?!

I put the cart away almost always, and will park near the cart returns as well to make it easier. There is a Whole Foods near us that does not have enough cart returns in the parking garage, so now with 2 kids I have not returned when shopping there if I am not able to get a spot near one of the cart returns. But there are a few places in the garage that have become unofficial spots for carts so I will put it there with the other carts.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I used to 100% of the time, but with kids now it's probably 90-95%, depending on the store. I can't always strategically park close to one. The "money" spots here in the summer are shady spots and that takes precedence over cart return spots. I appreciate when there is a cart waiting for me in one of those far away spots so I don't have to haul the toddler and carseat with my 15 pound infant halfway across the parking lot, and will put the cart back where I found it for the next appreciative mama.

I try and park next to a cart corral as well. If I'm not within 3-4 cars of one then I don't put it away (but I do try and put it out of the way and where it won't roll into another car) unless I only have one kid and just a few groceries. I don't like leaving a kid in the buggy while I unload it, I'd rather them be safely buckled in the car just in case of a crazy driver in the parking lot or the buggy started to roll away while I was unloading.

Mama to Abby, Micah & Alexis - Our Blog

When Josh was littler, sometimes I would and sometimes I wouldn't. It depends how far I parked from the corral. Now that he's older obviously he can just walk with me to put it away so I usually put it back if it's not too far. Or I at least put it out of the way unlike other people who leave them in the middle of parking spaces and crap. Can you tell this is a pet peeve? LOL
    Last edited by daylilies; 02-10-2013 at 09:25 AM.