Thread: Getting organized

Default Getting organized

Last night DH came home to a complete disaster (dinner not even started, a house a mess, etc etc) and me running around. He told me that he worries about me not having it together (physically I don't, mentally I do) and the house falling apart. I got a bit hurt but that comment but there is some truth in it. I am a newly WAHM/SAHM mom with a 1st grader, pre-schooler and a baby. So... what are your best tricks of the trade? Any good advice on how I can stay organized? I am constantly busy and running around but it seems like I am just barely holding it together for the house to not become a complete and utter mess and keeping up with requests and demands.

First of all, you're normal. I'm sure that all of us on this forum have felt the same exact way at one point or another.

A few things that I do: keep a planner (I use erin condren's life planner...best one I've found, yet!), make a household chore chart (I literally write down each major chore and designate a day of the week to do it so I'm not overwhelmed), and get the kids involved! When the boys pick up after themselves, that's one less thing that I have to do. I'm pushing the "a place for everything, and everything in its place" rule, also.

I'm doing a major organization overhaul in my house right now. I've come to realize that, as accepting as I have become of the clutter-effect that often comes with having children, it still drives me crazy to the point of being overwhelmed. So, those are just a few things that I'm doing to kind of help keep my sanity.

Totally feel you. My house is a wreck more often than not. (I work full time) I've been wanting to make myself a chore chart. I think it would help me to see what needs to be done and do it on a certain day rather than let everything pile up and try to do it all in one day. If I maintained better, I feel I wouldn't get so overwhelmed.
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

I am stalking I am in the EXACT same situation...even the same aged kids! I am also starting to freelance again so I too am struggling with the WAHM/SAHM thing. I even posted in Random about tips to organize mail because I forgot to pay a bunch of bills and the mail seems to be a rough spot even though I actually DO have some systems in place.I started by writing out the daily schedule and seeing where I have "free" time (that is a laugh...basically means I am either down to 1 kid or they are watching TV lol). Anyway, then I plan to make a list of duties I need to get done and hopefully make a schedule for them...like dust on Mondays, vacuum on Wednesdays, etc... DH and I are going over the filing system this weekend and he will be in charge of that. I need to delegate more to him because I just can't do it all...I have also been trying to find ways that the baby can sit without me for periods of time - like sit on the floor with toys or in a high chair with cheerios or something. That hasn't been easy as I don't think she is feeling well so I seriously can NOT put her down this week At night I sit and work on my freelance stuff but honestly it's the last thing I fee like doing. I am so tired. Sometimes I just veg and don't care. I am right now looking at a basket full of clean clothes that I have been neglecting to fold for going on 2 days....laundry has been something that is falling through the cracks big time.Good luck!ETA: I meant to add that I have a notebook that I make lists in - a big list of EVERYTHING I want to do (like in the future too) and then daily lists, food lists, menu lists, etc. The problem is the kids take the notebook and write in it! So half the time I can't find it and the other half I have pictures drawn all over it
    Last edited by macksmom; 02-14-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Quote Originally Posted by sparks3 View Post
    First of all, you're normal. I'm sure that all of us on this forum have felt the same exact way at one point or another.

A few things that I do: keep a planner (I use erin condren's life planner...best one I've found, yet!), make a household chore chart (I literally write down each major chore and designate a day of the week to do it so I'm not overwhelmed), and get the kids involved! When the boys pick up after themselves, that's one less thing that I have to do. I'm pushing the "a place for everything, and everything in its place" rule, also.

I'm doing a major organization overhaul in my house right now. I've come to realize that, as accepting as I have become of the clutter-effect that often comes with having children, it still drives me crazy to the point of being overwhelmed. So, those are just a few things that I'm doing to kind of help keep my sanity.
    Ditto!

I never have it together! Sometimes are worse than others. I am homeschooling 5 kids and a toddler, my teenagers are involved in all kinds of things, my husband travels and works long hours. I'm oten overwhelmed before my day even starts.

The things that help are prioritizing, delegating,, writing a schedule and GETTING RID OF CLUTTER. Most important thing to me as I live with a bunch of pack rats and I'm always yelling at people to throw junk away.
    Clutter really effects my mood. I can't get rid of all of it, schooling 6 kids at home creates a lot of clutter of it's own. But I do feel better if it is somewhat under control.

I have been a SAHM for 4 1/2 years now...and that 'M' is for MOM, not MAID. I do not do it all, and my hubby knows better than to expect me to. My primary concern is my children, not my house, meals, laundry etc. Those things get done as I am able. If I don't get to it, then DH helps out, or even does it himself, when he gets home.

Now some things that help me....
    -My crock pot is amazing. I will give DH a list of what I need for 4-6 meals worth, he will go shopping and I will have dinners planned for a week. So easy to pop stuff in around lunch time and have dinner ready with no further help from me.
    -I do a lot of multi tasking. While the kids eat, I load or unload the dishwasher and/or get a load of wash started. While they watch a TV show or play outside I will vacuum and dust.
    -I expect, ask for or flat out demand my husband and partner...and father of my children, do his share.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!

heres what keeps my house from faling apart...
    1- get a daily schedule that works and stick to it. everyone thats near me knows that lunch is served at 12 and that naps are started immediately after lunch is over. (i make it clear that nothing goes on during that time no dr appts, no phone calls, nothing. after nap dinner gets started (its around 4 pm and gives me plenty of time to make dinner even with children needing me and bugging me and such)
    2- get a weekly routine down. mondays i grocery shop, tuesdays i sweep and mop, wed i do laundry, thursdays i clean bathrooms fridays i make sure all bills/paperwork is done for the week saturday i do a project with dh and sunday we do nothing.
    3- relax about it. don't stress if you miss something one day. you got kids and they will throw a monkey wrench in everything you plan. i find that a dry erease board on the fridge is a great way to list things and make notes of what needs doing and then i can remember to get it done.

my house is far from perfect and is a bit messy but its less stressful to know that theres a time and a place for everything and dh complains less too about things not being done because he can read the board and know whats not done that was supposed to be done... he can also add to the list or help me out and do something that i didn't get done.

Schedule sounds good - I need to come up with one. I have tried but it seems so hard since things pop up each and every day. DH does more than enough and always pulls his share so he isn't an issue. He also works 12 hour days, travels for work and is maintaining a high-stress job so that I can stay at home so I don't quite feel right for him to jump right into dishes when he comes home (but he does). However, I wonder what the realistic expectations are for my girls who are almost 7 and almost 5. For example, today since the 1st grader came home the house is a wreck - they leave things whereever they please; I have asked to start on homework for about 10 times and it's like I am talking to the wall. And it's so hard for me to follow through because I have this little baby who now cries every time I put him down and doesn't nap so I literally ask for something, walk away, forget I asked for it in the first place, then remember 15 minutes later when they never did what I asked and are just day dreaming on the couch or wandering around. I try to find the balance of letting them be kids but also teach responsibility - are they too young for this? Also, a question for those of you who have a schedule - when do you cook and do you do it daily? Katrina - what are some of your favorite crock pot recipes?

I spent all of last year like that, asking someone to do something and then not following through because I got distracted and/or forgot.

Your girls are not too young to take care of their own stuff. And that is where having a schedule and being organized helps. If they know what is expected of them, and when, they are much more likely to do it. Also knowing where to put stuff is important. So for example every day when they get home from school they hang their coats and back packs up, get a snack and 30mins of play time before doing home work. You may have to tell them this every day, but if they know what to expect it should make it easier to actually get them to do it.

Meals and planning is probably the area I struggle with the most! Almost every day I have a panic attack around 6 because I have nothing planned.

On my blog I have a section where I have listed all the things we have cooked...broken down by type of food (chicken, beef, seafood, desserts etc.) and how it is cooked (crock pot, oven, grill etc.)
    http://tripmomma.blogspot.com/p/what...od-lookin.html

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by martiniqus View Post
    Schedule sounds good - I need to come up with one. I have tried but it seems so hard since things pop up each and every day. DH does more than enough and always pulls his share so he isn't an issue. He also works 12 hour days, travels for work and is maintaining a high-stress job so that I can stay at home so I don't quite feel right for him to jump right into dishes when he comes home (but he does). However, I wonder what the realistic expectations are for my girls who are almost 7 and almost 5. For example, today since the 1st grader came home the house is a wreck - they leave things whereever they please; I have asked to start on homework for about 10 times and it's like I am talking to the wall. And it's so hard for me to follow through because I have this little baby who now cries every time I put him down and doesn't nap so I literally ask for something, walk away, forget I asked for it in the first place, then remember 15 minutes later when they never did what I asked and are just day dreaming on the couch or wandering around. I try to find the balance of letting them be kids but also teach responsibility - are they too young for this? Also, a question for those of you who have a schedule - when do you cook and do you do it daily? Katrina - what are some of your favorite crock pot recipes?
    Gosh I could have written exactly this myself! I have been complaining that my kids are total slobs and it's really starting to annoy me. I feel like they have no respect for me or our house. They get dressed in the morning and there are 2 piles of pajamas on the floor. The house can look perfect all day and by 3pm after school it all goes to ****. By the end of the night the house looks like a tornado blew through it and by the time they are all finally down I am too tired to deal with it. I end up cleaning up in the morning after DD1 goes to school and DD3 is napping and DD2 is watching sesame street and eating breakfast! I tell them ALL.THE.TIME to put clothes in the hamper, shoes in the bench, etc. but it doesn't get through. Then when I complain about it I get "moooooooommmm". Ugh. I also say things and forget that I said them and ask again and this goes on for hours.I actually have a pressure cooker which I like WAY better than my crock pot. The crock pot is ok for certain things but to get meat to taste good it needs to be browned so you have to dirty another pan. I have a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker which I am LOVING. It can saute and brown meats and it's all in 1 device. It also cooks things quickly rather than taking all day. With the crock pot I had to remember by like 11am to cook something or else I can't use it because it wouldn't be ready by 5:30 when we eat. With the pressure cooker I can start something at 3/4 and it's done and while it's cooking I can clean up...I just love it
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

A few things that help me stay organized and manage my time...
    1. Wake up at least an hour before the kids, more if I plan to exercise. It is amazing how much you can get done with a quiet house. That's when I do most of my cooking, empty the dishwasher that ran overnight, do a load of laundry. If I wake up when they do, I feel behind all day long.
    2. "Pick up 10." My kids are still a little young for chores, or so they have me convinced. But anytime the house is getting out of control, we play a game where everyone has to clean up 10 things. It usually takes them so long that I can get some decent organizing in while they slowly put whatever is in front of them away.
    3. "Touch it Once" - If at all possible, with the mail, I open it and do what needs to be done. I have my laptop in the kitchen for paying bills, I put things right on my calendar into my phone, throw away anything that isn't absolutely necessary. It doesn't mean I don't have a stack of mail in the kitchen, but it does mean my stack is very small.
    4. 12 minute shows on Sprout - They are a great way to regroup when the kids start to go wild, and I run around like a crazy person seeing how much I can get done in that time.
    5. Clean as you go. This one is crucial for me. I wipe up the counters all day long, put dishes in the dishwasher as soon as we use them, try to enforce a clean up one room before you go to the next rule. I despise clutter, and even if it makes my kids a little nuts, I really try to clean up while we are playing.

My DH also works long hours and travels very frequently. He most certainly helps if I feel overwhelmed, but I do my best to have the house in order before he gets home. Just like I get it in order before I sit down at night. It's easier to keep your house organized then get it organized. Good luck!! And cut yourself some slack, you have a baby!

I am the same way. And my DH does complain. I was pretty good until baby #3 came 17 months ago and now I feel like I am always running in circles and it's always chaos. I don't know what to do! I keep trying I've been a SAHM for 5.5 years, I should have it together by now