Thread: Pregnancy Congestion since Day 1 but new, painful cough developed

Default Pregnancy Congestion since Day 1 but new, painful cough developed

Hi ladies,

Did any of you develop post-nasal drip so bad you got a hacking cough? I've had pnd all my life due to allergies and my docs have never cared to treat it. I've had the occasional sore throat because of it, but for about a week now, I've been hacking and my throat is so sore and dried out. I can't moisturize it for very long. In addition, the coughing has made my lower abdomen hurt. I just entered 16 weeks and I don't have an appt until the 24th. I've had pretty bad heartburn/acid reflux so I'm taking Prilosec (just started yesterday) and am hoping maybe the PND is because of the heartburn and will calm down. But I'm so frustrated. I keep waking up to cough or clear my throat. I sound like I have emphysema. Steam and hot showers haven't helped. I'm on Claritin, but a very low dose that doesn't seem to prevent most of my symptoms.

What would you do in my shoes?

Blog Entries

I would see if you can get in earlier. I would not expect a hacking cough to be caused by PND due to allergies. I've had post nasal drip for practically my whole life (not due to allergies but a chronic sinus condition) and besides many a minor cough in the morning have never had a severe cough from it.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Oh my goodness I had the worst cough and post nasal drip from about 6weeks until around 16weeks of my pregnancy. It was awful. I saw the doctor about it and she said it was just a virus, and I had to wait it out. She said I could take sudafed and robitussin if I wanted. She also gave me zantac, because she said reflux could be making it worse too. I ended up just taking vitamin c and eventually I got better. Hang in there, and I hope you're better soon!
    Jennifer

I had a bit of a stuffy nose and pnd at some point in all my pregnancies, usually in the early part of them. But I don't ever remember having a cough with it. I agree with pp, call your dr., maybe you can get in earlier or they can recommend something. Hope you feel better soon!
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

I called the appointing line for pregnant military dependents for several hours today before finally getting through. Normally (meaning non-pregnancy times), you call the appointment line and get an automated message letting you know how long you'll have to wait til a live person helps you. But when you get pregnant, you can only get permission to see the doc from one poor nurse who is on the phone, fielding calls non-stop. I eventually gave up and called Patient Advocacy to at least leave a message. It's a ridiculous set up.

Anyway, rant aside, when the nurse had a chance to call me back, she agreed that I should be seen and have bronchitis or other serious ailments ruled out. I think what really got to her was that my active duty hubby is being awakened by my hacking, so it isn't just my sleep that is ruined. Hubby said I sound like Gollum at night, between the choking on the PND and the hacking and the groaning. (Apparently, I groan now in my sleep. Lovely.) He offered to record the noise to play for the doctor. I'll have to see if I can start muttering in the 3rd person when I talk in my sleep, too. *mwahaha* (I often talk in my sleep, according to him.)

Have you tried doing a sinus rinse? That really helps me when the congestion is at its worst and is perfectly safe for pregnancy.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilBunnieMcG View Post
    I called the appointing line for pregnant military dependents for several hours today before finally getting through. Normally (meaning non-pregnancy times), you call the appointment line and get an automated message letting you know how long you'll have to wait til a live person helps you. But when you get pregnant, you can only get permission to see the doc from one poor nurse who is on the phone, fielding calls non-stop. I eventually gave up and called Patient Advocacy to at least leave a message. It's a ridiculous set up.

Anyway, rant aside, when the nurse had a chance to call me back, she agreed that I should be seen and have bronchitis or other serious ailments ruled out. I think what really got to her was that my active duty hubby is being awakened by my hacking, so it isn't just my sleep that is ruined. Hubby said I sound like Gollum at night, between the choking on the PND and the hacking and the groaning. (Apparently, I groan now in my sleep. Lovely.) He offered to record the noise to play for the doctor. I'll have to see if I can start muttering in the 3rd person when I talk in my sleep, too. *mwahaha* (I often talk in my sleep, according to him.)
    The cough sounds awful! I do hope that they will get you in very soon to have that evaluated.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Oh, I feel so wonderful today. They gave me a Zpack because I have upper respiratory bronchitis and tonsil stones. Thankfully, I have not developed sinusitus again. They put me on acid reflux meds because I'm struggling with GERD, which the doc said would make recovery slower. And she prescribed a saline nasal spray, which I am thankful for, because the sinus rinses are torture. Well, on one side. Probably the deviated septum side. (I don't have a symmetrical skull. Even my optic nerve outlets aren't symmetrical, which causes me to have to monitored for glaucoma and brain tumors -- FUN!) It feels like someone jammed a feather into my sinus cavity and is just tickling the heck out of me the whole time I'm supposed to be rinsing and I don't quite have the will power to endure it for very long, so I've found it miserable and ineffective on the one side, helpful on the side that is less "mucous-y".

I slept most of the night without incident (aside from my cat refusing to let me get up to go to the bathroom a few times) and woke up with a softer cough, though the ligaments under my slight pooch still ache when I cough, and a less painful dried out throat. Hubby said I didn't hack and choke all night long, so that means I was at least less noisy and didn't wake him.

I did have to wait several hours at the hospital because the doc I was scheduled to see was also on duty as the pregnancy ER doc and several women showed up with similar complaints to mine, but much uglier sounding coughs. I wouldn't have minded if I had just remembered to pack food. I was soooo hungry. Next time, my bag will be loaded with lots snacks and only one thing to do to pass the time. But I was excited about being hungry. 16 weeks and I'm finally hungry!! Maybe the weight loss will be turned into weight gain from now on! *hopeful*

Thanks for the comments and support!!

Glad you are feeling better

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

Blog Entries

I'm so glad that you are feeling better!