Thread: Questions

Default Questions

I'm trying to come up with some questions to ask the RE when I go. Can you ladies help me think of what I need to ask?

Oh well. Thanks anyway. :/

Sorry you haven't got any responses. Will this be your first time going to the RE? When we first saw the RE he kinda ran the appt. He asked all about us ttc what my cycles were like, etc. He then ordered a bunch of tests. This was 3 years ago so I am sorry I don't remember if I asked any specific questions.

Thank you for responding. Yes, its my first visit. I have no problem getting pg, it's the staying pg the whole nine months that I can't do. I have 4 healthy children but have had two late losses with my last pregnancies. My ob and mfm have done every test on me , dh and the babies and can't do figure out why I lost my boys. They have given me the ok to TTC again after April. I'm pretty much just going to the RE to see if he can come up with something to try to help us have a healthy baby. I have adenomyosis and want to find out if maybe that could be keeping a good blood flow or something. And any other questions that someone comes up with, I'll ask.

More than specific questions, my advice would just be to be open about your concerns and history and ask how everything will affect you. If he suggests a treatment, ask specifically how that will apply to your situation and staying pregnant. In my case, I do O and have gotten pg on my own (not easily) and told him at our first appointment that I think my problem is staying pregnant. 5 treatment cycles and 2 miscarriages later, he doesn't seem to have any more answers than he did back then. So just make sure he is treating what you consider to be the problem. Hope that helps!

ETA: it's hard to say specific things to ask, because each of us has her (and his) own issues and it's all so individual. What works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.
    Last edited by Gwenn; 02-18-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Me (40) DH (47) & furbabies * m/c 7/08 4/12 11/12

Your RE will probably want to run the usual tests-hormone levels, sonohystogram, etc. In your case, I would also ask about immunology testing and tests to check for any chromosomal issues. Both of those considerations can usually provide a lot of answers for why m/cs are happening, and hopefully, solutions to prevent them in the future. Good luck, KUP!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!

I saw this when you first posted but couldn't think of anything specifically so I didn't reply...I'm so sorry that I didn't at least offer some support !! (((Big hugs)))...praying the appt goes well!

I've never been to an RE. After my losses I had to really push for any and all testing because I already had 5 kids. I had a loss before my 4th and before my 5th and then I had 5 consecutive losses including my boys (at 15 and 19wks). They just kept telling me there's nothing that could be done and that it just happens...that since I had 5 successful pgs already there was nothing wrong me. I was the one who had to push for thyroid testing/treatment, progesterone, and aspirin. I was eventually dxed with autoimmune thyroid disease, PVNH(a genetic disorder), and low progesterone. I went on to have a healthy 6th baby after starting thyroid meds and taking progesterone and aspirin during my pg. I had two more losses...didn't start progesterone early on with one and didn't take aspirin with the other (causes gastritis for me). I'm not sure if that's what caused them or not but my last two pgs have been f/t and I didn't risk it...took the progesterone right after o until 15wks gestation and took the aspirin throughout.

All that to say I think it's fantastic you have this referral! I think the RE will do all the necessary diagnostics...probably without you having to even ask or push for anything .

Really hoping and praying for you !!!

Thanks Kelly.

Hi. Sorry I haven't posted sooner. Sick household all week and my retrieval was today. Like everyone else said, your RE will run bloodwork scans, etc. those will help rule out things, but might not give you an answer right away. Ask them to check your progesterone levels, ANA levels ( then maybe IVIG is a possibility) and bring any and all tests you've had done. They might insist on repeating some ( REs can be funny that way). All I can say is don't be intimidated, ask any and all questions you have. If you get home and think of one, call them and ask it. You are paying them to help you, don't be intimidated. praying you get the answers you need so you can have your BfP soon. ((hugs))
    Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums.

Just wanted to add that you should definitely write down your questions before you go in for your appt-I always seem to forget all of my questions as I walk in their door. Good luck, I hope it goes well!

Erica 33, DH 34, STC for 4+ years, Diagnosed DOR 4/2011, mom to 4 , Barbados IVF March 2013!!!