Thread: Another question...still bleeding 10 weeks post partum

Default Another question...still bleeding 10 weeks post partum

I am still bleeding. Immediately after I had my son I had a retained placenta. They removed it. I then got a severe uterus infection that put me in the hospital for a week when he was three weeks old. Well I have been spotting red then it turns brown. Tmi but its clotty and stringy With my daughter I stopped bleeding at six weeks.
    I also got my tubes tied this time. I breastfed only. No formula.

I emailed my dr and they want to put me on meds for a week to stop the bleeding. I don't feel comfortable being on any meds because of my sons issues.

So my question is what would cause me to still be bleeding ten weeks after having my son ? Have any of you ladies experienced pp bleeding that lasted longer than 6 weeks and what did your dr do ? I am cramping on and off.

They did an ultrasound when I was on the hospital and my uterus lining looked great. just ready to stop bleeding.

I had a tubal done at 7 weeks and continued to bleed until 8-9 weeks PP. Your uterus can be really irritated from the infection you had.. I personally would get a 2ND opinion. I feel so bad you are going through all this stuff. That is awful.

sorry that you're going through so many trials right now. If you don't trust your current doc or are just not sure, do get a second opinion. Certainly, talk to both regarding your questions about why you would be bleeding and what side effects to expect from the choice of medicines. Good luck!

Goodness! What a lot to be dealing with! I bled for what seemed like forever after a couple of mine. It wasn't consistent, just kind of off and on. At one point I remember my ob saying if I hadn't stopped by a certain date we would do a d and c.

I don't think it is related to the tubal, that shouldn't be causing blood inside the uterus. It is probably the placenta site, maybe it just needs more time because of the retained placenta? I'd be wary of taking anything while breastfeeding too. I hope you stop soon, or can find a solution!

The cramping is what honestly worries me because it gets real severe at times. I think they just wanted to prescribe me medicine because they know I'm going through a lot and it would take a lot for me to go to the drs. They had to give me a shot right after I had him to stop the bleeding. I lost so much blood that I had to take three iron pills a day for 2 weeks. Sigh, I just wish there was a magically fix it button for everything. I can feel depression trying to set in but I refuse to let it effect me like last time.

I bled for 7 weeks and at my pp dr visit they ended up doing a "rocket" d & c to get some placenta that had been hiding out. They did put me on meds to squeeze my uterus but thankfully I only had to take 2 doses so perhaps you could pump enough to give a few bottles that day and pump and dump the milk you would normally make just to keep your supply up. After the procedure I bled for another week or so and then stopped for 3 or 4 days and then I got my period! Totally not fair since I'm exclusively breastfeeding but I got my period back right away after my dd's birth too. So essentially I bled for nearly 10 weeks with only 3 days or so off. Now I'm on the minipill so I've been spotting every day yet.

I don't get much at all when I pump:/ it would take me a week to just get enough for one day I'm sure:/ going to contact my dr this morning again. I will let you know what they say

!

That's normal for me. With my first 5kiddos I bled 10-12wks each time. It has varied with my last four though. I never needed a d&c and my Dr never even mentioned it. He said as long as the bleeding isn't heavy, I'm not in severe pain (doubling over), no fever, and I'm not passing large clots (bigger than a golf ball) it's normal. His explanation was that bfing can cause hormones to be up and down for a few months pp and every woman responds differently.

It could also be related to all the stress you're going through right now (((big hugs)))!

Kup!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Well she said the only thing i can do to stop the bleeding is take the medicine but I don't want to. She said hopefully it will stop on its own. My body did go through a lot so I wouldn't doubt it's just trying to recoupe. My stress level is the highest it has ever been in my life.

JMO, but with a sick kid, fighting depression (for which you have a history), and uncontrollable bleeding that needs treatment... I urge you to proactively take care of the latter two so you can be as healthy as possible to take care of the first.

I don't post that to be mean; it's just that b/c reading your posts, I get the feeling that you believe that you need to sacrifice yourself to help your child. Rather, I think that it is likely that you need to save yourself to help him - to be available to nurture him in both the short and long term. And to be there physically, mentally, emotionally for your husband and daughter.

I offer that having felt the same way (nicu, ppd, sick postpartum, and not sleeping a wink out of concern, guilt, feelings of failure from not doing enough, not being there...). I dunno... maybe having another mom say that it was okay to take care of myself - that it was a mom imperative to do so - would have helped me to dig out sooner than i did. So I'm saying it to you: It's okay and you should so what you need to do to be healthy.

Either way, be well.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 01-18-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liontamer View Post
    Well she said the only thing i can do to stop the bleeding is take the medicine but I don't want to. She said hopefully it will stop on its own. My body did go through a lot so I wouldn't doubt it's just trying to recoupe. My stress level is the highest it has ever been in my life.
    What Med is she recommending...if you don't mind me asking .

I'm still taking an iron supplement and prenatal to maintain healthy iron levels. If I felt I wasn't recovering well pp (which has happened) I would request cbc, thyroid, vit D, and B12 labs. Also, try to stay hydrated...hard to do while bfing and it can make recovery even more difficult.

It's nearly impossible to eat well, stay hydrated, and rest sufficiently with a little one in the hospital...my heart absolutely goes out to you !!

Kellyowens-Not sure. I'm scared to take anything that stops bleeding because blod clots run so high in my family. I also have a heart condition I don't want it to effect..

ibisgirldc- I'm terrified of him having to go to on formula because my poor daughter had to at a month old and had constipation issues. Even taking laxatives did not help. I would rather me be uncomfortable then hm because he has alreadt been through so much. It's just a bad spot to be in :/ I am taking care of myself as much as i can. I didn't take anything you said as mean and I completely understand what you are saying but I'm not ready to stop breastfeeding.

Can you check with an LC about the meds and make sure they will not affect him?

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

My doc put me on methylergonovine to make my uterus contract. It's probably the same thing they already gave you in the hospital. My dr said they basically give it out like candy to new moms who are bleeding too much and they don't worry about it with breastfeeding. That being said it still made me nervous because my mom died from a blood clot and I also didn't have enough milk to just give bottles. Like I said I only needed 2 doses to help myself on the road to recovery. It's very hard to take care of yourself but if you don't there won't be anyone around to take care of your LO. Good Luck!!

Blog Entries

Is it possible that the cramping and bleeding is really a period? I got my periods back quickly with both my kids - I would stop the PP bleeding and quickly get my period back. If the bleeding is a lot, I really would just try to get into the doctor for an ultrasound to make sure that nothing else is going on. Since you had one infection does that increase the likelihood that you would have another one now?

I feel so bad for you. Still praying for you all.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

My periods are horrible. I'm just spotting. Maybe enough to fill up two panty liners a day. I will stop for like a day then its bright red then turns brown. I'm going to give it one more week...it's just so annoying.

Cassie I'm pretty sure that's what they want to give me. They prescribed it to me before but I didnt take it because it said do not take while breastfeeding, medicine is excreted in breast milk.

Well 12 weeks pp now and the pain has only gotten worse and so has the bleeding. I feel like I'm getting a fever now they still haven't seen me and want to give me the depo shot but I'm not happy with that solution. I'm honestly scared I might be experiencing a tubal pregnancy. I got my tubes tied and I'm having strange pregnancy symptoms. I'm literally exhausted I can't get enough sleep at all and I'm severely nauseated. Im also very weak and i have fainted.I'm hoping this is just my period returning but it just doesn't seem right.

A hpt would be positive if I'm having an ectopic pregnancy right? I'm hoping that's not it but my gut is telling me something is not right.

*hugs* Oh, man I'm sorry you are dealing with this! You really need to get seen by the octor in person. No advice really, but I hope you get an ultrasound or something soon o have a look what's going on. Good luck!

Ali, DH, Søren (4/2011) and a little one due in September.

I agree you need to be seen. Yes, an hpt should be positive with an ectopic.

Quote Originally Posted by liontamer View Post
    Well 12 weeks pp now and the pain has only gotten worse and so has the bleeding. I feel like I'm getting a fever now they still haven't seen me and want to give me the depo shot but I'm not happy with that solution. I'm honestly scared I might be experiencing a tubal pregnancy. I got my tubes tied and I'm having strange pregnancy symptoms. I'm literally exhausted I can't get enough sleep at all and I'm severely nauseated. Im also very weak and i have fainted.I'm hoping this is just my period returning but it just doesn't seem right.

A hpt would be positive if I'm having an ectopic pregnancy right? I'm hoping that's not it but my gut is telling me something is not right.

I was so scared of the same thing this time last year. I was reminded my doctor did a very *racial* tubal ligation. I had no energy hungry all the time and it was hormones had many (-) tests but, I was so scared of ever being pregnant. Its sounds like you have every right to be concerned. If you feel like something is not right see if you can get an appointment as soon as possible. I hope everything gets better for you. I'd also seek out counseling because it sounds like you've been through h*** and back with the bleeding, the infection, the trauma.

Oh man, I am so sorry you are still dealing with this! If you did indeed have a eptopic pregnancy, a HPT would be postive. Have you had an ultrasound to verify there was no more tissue? Or a DNC to just be sure? I hope you come to the bottom of this sooner than later.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

Won't be able to get a test until the morning:/

My depression has been so much better since he got out of the hospital. When I was 2 weeks post partum I was admitted to the hospital where they did a ct scan, a vaginal ultrasound and the abdominal ultrasound. Everything came back negative. I stayed in the hospital for a week with antibiotics going through an iv. Three different kind three times a day.

I have been really open to my friends about everything to and they have helped me a lot. You ladies help me a lot.

I hope it's not an ectopic but its bright red bleeding and its so little....it's just not right

..Don't hesitate to go to ER if you have pain, bright red bleeding, and a fever!

Thinking of you momma!

Blog Entries

I also really think that the doctor needs to see you and ensure that the bleeding isn't caused by infection or something else that needs to be treated. I suppose then if it is unexplained some birth control of some sort might help things regulate. I just don't know why you'd be in so much pain.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I also really think that the doctor needs to see you and ensure that the bleeding isn't caused by infection or something else that needs to be treated. I suppose then if it is unexplained some birth control of some sort might help things regulate. I just don't know why you'd be in so much pain.
    I also think that you need to listen to your doctors about what needs to be done to address these unusual symptoms. It sounds like you know that something's wrong but are avoiding the treatments. Perhaps I'm wrong, but bleeding for 12 weeks postpartum and having fever, pain, insomnia, severe nausea... that needs to be addressed. Landing yourself in a long hospital stay will do nothing to help you or your baby and family.