Thread: Bed rails

Default Bed rails

How did you know when you no longer needed bed rails? When you did decide to take them away, what was the transition period like?

Maiya rolls a lot, so I'm thinking she's not quite ready to get rid of them yet. But, we are going to Hawaii this summer, and where we are staying doesn't have bed rails and we obviously can't bring them, since we're flying.

Normally I put her mattress on the floor, but we're renting houses, and some of the rooms it looks like she'll be in may not fit the mattress on the floor- not without removing the whole bed frame, which is not something I'm sure I want to do!

So... Is there anyway to transition her away from needing bedrails? Or is 3 just too early? I'm sure we'll make it work either way, it would just be a lot easier if she could sleep in a normal bed while there!

Thanks!

I know people who have put a pool noodle under the fitted sheet on each side of the bed instead of a side rail. Haven't tried it myself yet. You will likely have easy access to noodles in HI!
    My 3 yo cuties!

Well my kids are cosleepers so they both kind of naturally got used to the bed having an edge. They have little toddler beds that are close to the floor right now so if they fall out it's not far to fall.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

We never used them. He fell out twice and it hasn't happened since. Maybe it's just a matter of giving her the opportunity to learn how to sleep without the barriers.

My kids were co sleepers as well so they have always been in a bed. I never did bed rails (or even cribs for that matter lol). Now they each have a single bed mattress that is on the floor... so if they were to roll out they won't go far (I didn't really do that because I was worried about them falling out.. I'm sure they would both be fine in a bed with a frame.. this was just cheaper lol). Really though despite both being big movers in their sleep they've never rolled out of bed. Maybe you could put the bed she's in now on the floor and take away the bed rails so she could get used to it before you go to Hawaii. I would think if you started now she'd be totally used to it by the time you go to Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    I know people who have put a pool noodle under the fitted sheet on each side of the bed instead of a side rail. Haven't tried it myself yet. You will likely have easy access to noodles in HI!
    Haha, for sure there should be plenty! But, that won't work for her. I should have mentioned that she rolls over rolled up pillows... She basically either needs to learn how to not roll off, or she needs full blown bed rails...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreya View Post
    Well my kids are cosleepers so they both kind of naturally got used to the bed having an edge. They have little toddler beds that are close to the floor right now so if they fall out it's not far to fall.
    She was a cosleeper, too, but even then we had bedrails... In fact, she is still in the same bed we coslept in, in her room, with the same bed rails up!

Her crib, which can and may soon be convereted to her toddler bed is currently side carred with the guest bed, and they are the exact same height. Not all that high, but still far enough to fall from.

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    We never used them. He fell out twice and it hasn't happened since. Maybe it's just a matter of giving her the opportunity to learn how to sleep without the barriers.
    This is kind of my hope, that if I take them away, she'll quickly learn how to not roll out. What age did you transition him? I can handle her falling out a few times, but I don't want to do something that she may not be developmentally read for...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleen View Post
    My kids were co sleepers as well so they have always been in a bed. I never did bed rails (or even cribs for that matter lol). Now they each have a single bed mattress that is on the floor... so if they were to roll out they won't go far (I didn't really do that because I was worried about them falling out.. I'm sure they would both be fine in a bed with a frame.. this was just cheaper lol). Really though despite both being big movers in their sleep they've never rolled out of bed. Maybe you could put the bed she's in now on the floor and take away the bed rails so she could get used to it before you go to Hawaii. I would think if you started now she'd be totally used to it by the time you go to Hawaii.
    Yup, Maiya's never slept in a crib, either!! Well, her crib is side carred to the guest bed, so technically, she has slept in it a little... Just not as a crib!

The mattress on the floor is a good idea, maybe I'll try that if she rolls out too much... And yeah, that's why I'm addressing this now, she will already be SO over tired on vacation that I'd like her to not wake up by falling out of bed a few times a night!

Thanks all for your responses.

You could always use kitchen/dining room chairs backwards against the side of the bed. We have done that in hotels. Or have her sleep sideways on the bed if it's a queen.

With DD1 i think the bedrail broke so we just got rid of it. She had a box spring so her bed was pretty high up. I think she fell once or twice but I don't remember it being too bad. She was at least 4 or 5 though.

DD2 will be 4 in a few weeks and still uses one but I would like to phase it out as well. I was thinking of putting some pillows next to her bed and if she falls out it wouldn't be so awful. LOVE the pool noodle idea! May try that!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

She will be over 3 when you go? I think she will be fine without the bedrails. I too think it might be a matter of learning to sleep without them. I'd transition soon. How far is she from the floor? Maybe put her matress on the floor and see how it goes?

Our son shifted from his crib to a bed around 3 years old. He could climb out of the crib no problem but rarely did. And when we'd ask him if he wanted his bed, he would waver. We took him mattress shopping, and once he said yes to the bed for a week straight, we switched. That was it. There was a slight adjustment, but nothing that he didn't outgrow in a week.

We used them for a very short period of time. I think she was around 2.5 when we stopped. She has never fallen out. I noticed that she was always pretty centered in the bed, and never came too close to the sides so I took them away. After I took them down, I would position her pillows sort of length wise on the sides so that if she rolled she still had a bit of a hump to get over before falling out.
    Lindsay, DH - Matt and 2DDs

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    You could always use kitchen/dining room chairs backwards against the side of the bed. We have done that in hotels. Or have her sleep sideways on the bed if it's a queen.

With DD1 i think the bedrail broke so we just got rid of it. She had a box spring so her bed was pretty high up. I think she fell once or twice but I don't remember it being too bad. She was at least 4 or 5 though.

DD2 will be 4 in a few weeks and still uses one but I would like to phase it out as well. I was thinking of putting some pillows next to her bed and if she falls out it wouldn't be so awful. LOVE the pool noodle idea! May try that!
    Oh, that's a good idea, too, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    She will be over 3 when you go? I think she will be fine without the bedrails. I too think it might be a matter of learning to sleep without them. I'd transition soon. How far is she from the floor? Maybe put her matress on the floor and see how it goes?
    I think I will start transitioning soon. Ironically, for the first time ever, she realized that her crib is separate from the guest bed, and I told her it's a big girl bed. She JUMPED on that, so today we transitioned from a futon / crib, to just a toddler bed. She has about 1/6 the amount of space as before! So I'll give her a month or so like this, in the toddler bed, and then if she seems ok, I'll remove the bedrail (which is still up!). Her bed is... Maybe 2 feet from the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    Our son shifted from his crib to a bed around 3 years old. He could climb out of the crib no problem but rarely did. And when we'd ask him if he wanted his bed, he would waver. We took him mattress shopping, and once he said yes to the bed for a week straight, we switched. That was it. There was a slight adjustment, but nothing that he didn't outgrow in a week.
    Sounds promising! If I leave her bed like this for a month, Maiya will be nearly 3 when we transition. I can handle a week!

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay1981 View Post
    We used them for a very short period of time. I think she was around 2.5 when we stopped. She has never fallen out. I noticed that she was always pretty centered in the bed, and never came too close to the sides so I took them away. After I took them down, I would position her pillows sort of length wise on the sides so that if she rolled she still had a bit of a hump to get over before falling out.
    Wow, nice. I know Maiya will fall out a few times. She's rolled off of king beds at hotels before... And that was WITH pillows as borders! And she's almost never centered in her bed... Though of course, she'll be older now, so maybe the pillow border will help a bit... I will try that when the time comes.

Thanks all!

My daughter is 6 and still has one bed rail. She would probably be fine without it but it gives her security.
    Last edited by Julbella78; 02-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.