Thread: red streaks on my boob

Default red streaks on my boob

Could that be caused by plugged ducts? Kellymom said mastitis but I am not sure it's that. I have enormous pain in my left boob and nip. It feels like a string is pulling through it when she nurses. It's horribly painful I feel ok otherwise except I realize I am really tired and DH had night duty last night so I shouldn't be that tired. It was kind of a busy day though and it's not uncommon for me to feel tired or drained by the end of the week. I also went to sleep at almost 1am last night so it could be that.

It feels like a plugged duct. It feels slightly better after she nurses. I was surprised to see the red streaks.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Can you feel a plugged duct anywhere in it? I've had a couple, and I could feel the duct both times when I massaged the boob with my hands, and only that part of my boob was sore. I does sound like it might be the beginnings of mastitis, and if its really that painful, its probably worth getting checked out. I hope its better soon! Good luck!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Adhafera View Post
    Can you feel a plugged duct anywhere in it? I've had a couple, and I could feel the duct both times when I massaged the boob with my hands, and only that part of my boob was sore. I does sound like it might be the beginnings of mastitis, and if its really that painful, its probably worth getting checked out. I hope its better soon! Good luck!
    No I don't feel anything which confused me. I get soooo many plugged ducts. It does feel different but similar. Who would check it - reg doc or ob?

Blog Entries

OB, I think. I would get the checked out. I had a major clog before and all I got was pressure pain and swelling with no redness (the main duct was plugged). No redness at all.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I am suddenly feeling really crappy now too. Not sure if its just mental. I will take some vit c tonight and see how i feel tomorrow. OB isnt possible tomorrow and closed on the weekends but i can see a reg doc if need be. Beh. I dont need this right now!

Red streaks along with feeling crappy definitely make me think mastitis. Are you feverish at all? I've had it twice and couldn't really feel any ducts either time. Are the red streaks in a wedge pattern? I'd call your doc tomorrow and see if they'll call in an abx prescription for you based on your description of symptoms if you can't get in to see them. If it *is* mastitis, you want to get abx on board as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post
    Red streaks along with feeling crappy definitely make me think mastitis. Are you feverish at all? I've had it twice and couldn't really feel any ducts either time. Are the red streaks in a wedge pattern? I'd call your doc tomorrow and see if they'll call in an abx prescription for you based on your description of symptoms if you can't get in to see them. If it *is* mastitis, you want to get abx on board as soon as possible.
    They look like little roads or like veins (but not small...the veins in my boobs are huge). I don't think I have a fever. I just feel achy and tired but not warm.

I skipped the evening nursing session and had DH give her a bottle which she basically refused So now I will probably be nursing even more than I would have if I had just sucked it up!

i would also call your OB tomorrow. They may be able to call in a rx, like the PP said. I had mastitis, without any lumps or streaks...just feeling like crap, and was ready to go in, but they just gave me a script over the phone.

Keep nursing. I know it hurts, but keep nursing. You'll make things worse by skipping feedings.

Keep nursing. I know it hurts, but keep nursing. You'll make things worse by skipping feedings.

I know....I planned to pump and I am procrastinating it! I will do it now thanks.

I will see how I feel tomorrow and maybe call the OB. What abx did you get?

I can't remember. I just remember that I had two different types and that they were super strong. Like so strong that I didn't stay on them for the entire time prescribed due to really cruddy side effects (that was with the blessing of my doctors -- I'd not have gone of the abx if my doc hadn't said it was okay.

Wait. I remember now. The first time I had Keflex, which gave me some bad skin stuff. The second time I had clindamycin, which gave me the worst heartburn of my life.

Wait. I remember now. The first time I had Keflex, which gave me some bad skin stuff. The second time I had clindamycin, which gave me the worst heartburn of my life.
    Oy! I don't like the sound of either of those. I assume these are compatible with breastfeeding....I assume the docs know what to prescribe in that sense?

It hurt when I pumped but it's a weird pain. It's mostly at the nipple I guess bit like I mentioned above it feels like a string is pulling from within my boob. I don't think I am engorged like I get with a plugged duct. I don't feel lumps anywhere but perhaps a little hardness above my aerola. I put a nursing pad with some lanolin on it to see if that helped. My nip was white for a few minutes after I pumped. I *may* have had the same thing on my right side a few months ago and it healed itself. I don't remember streaks but I had redness. This is streaks for sure.

Yes, they were compatible w/breastfeeding. Mastitis is a nasty infection, so they have to use pretty heavy duty abx on it.

If you are starting to feel sick I would definitely call the doctor in the morning and try to get on antibiotics asap!
    Jennifer

Eat garlic! It cleared me every time I started coming down with those symptoms.

ETA: Of course call your dr too but in the meantime..

Examine your nipple, do you see a white spot? It might be very small. If you do, look up milk bleb. It is a plug in the milk pore. I was plagued with them until I finally gave up on my right side completely. But it sounds like what you have, pain on the nipple and a back up in the duct behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Eat garlic! It cleared me every time I started coming down with those symptoms.

ETA: Of course call your dr too but in the meantime..
    I second the garlic! Never tried it, but heard from lots of women that this works. I had a ton of clogged ducts, which were really painful and made me feel soo sick. If I ever did have mastitis, it cleared on its own without abx. I continued BFing even though it was really painful. But def call your dr-that's one thing I never did have was the streaking. Hope you feel better!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    Examine your nipple, do you see a white spot? It might be very small. If you do, look up milk bleb. It is a plug in the milk pore. I was plagued with them until I finally gave up on my right side completely. But it sounds like what you have, pain on the nipple and a back up in the duct behind it.
    I don't see one but I know exactly what you are talking about because I had one on my right side and it was horribly painful! It lasted a while and was throbbing and just so painful. I did notice one yesterday after a nursing session but I can't see any now. It doesn't hurt as much today and the red streaking is more faded and I think I feel less achy but I just got up and am still tired so I can't tell right now. ugh I hated that.

I had mastitis with Levi 3 times. I did have a hard, red area on my breast each time, the area itself was warm to the touch (and PAIN, OMG!), and I felt like I had the flu...achy bones, fever, just felt wiped. Antibiotics kicked it within a day, and I actually only had to be seen once. The other 2 times, my doc just called in the antibiotic. I'm not sure that if you did have mastitis, that it would go away on its own. Warm compresses might help, too. They did give me some relief of the pain while nursing/pumping.

I hope whatever it is either goes away, or you're able to get something for it ASAP.

Just another idea, could it be thrush? After a round of abx, DS had thrush. About a month later, I finally got it. My symptoms were a deep pain (like a string) that didn't get better when nursing. If anything, it felt worse. My nips also turned red and there were some dark streaks radiating out from the nip. Just a thought. I hope you get better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by soniabee View Post
    Just another idea, could it be thrush? After a round of abx, DS had thrush. About a month later, I finally got it. My symptoms were a deep pain (like a string) that didn't get better when nursing. If anything, it felt worse. My nips also turned red and there were some dark streaks radiating out from the nip. Just a thought. I hope you get better soon.
    Another possibility! I don't feel achy or flu-ish today so that is good. I am tired but what else is new lol. It hurts less but it's still there. It seems to hurt more AS she is nursing but feels better when she is done. Like before the feeding it starts to hurt and then she nurses and at times it's brutal but other times not so bad, then feels better afterwards. It does feel more full than the other breast but I have been cutting some of the sessions short because she has a terrible habit of latching on and off or clamping down and pulling back (omg that is the worst!) so I can't let that happen....

Thanks for all the ideas! Hoping I continue to feel better today!

In case it is a clog/mastitis and not thrush, I third the garlic!! Actually garlic and vitamin C always kicked it for me, even when I had the red streaks and heat. It sounds like every clog I ever had- the feeling of a string pulling. I could also feel the clog breaking up at times and I always explained it like tiny shards of glass were moving through my milk ducts >.< Dreams feeds and making sure Emme's face was pointed in the direction of the clog is always what helped resolve it.

That's how my clogged ducts are. Every single time. I take soy lecithin when I feel one coming on and it always clears it for me. My DH gets physically sick when I eat raw garlic so none of that for me...

I have what you described above. Again. I just had the last clogged duct two weeks ago. I hate this At least hoping that it won't turn into mastitis.... Off to pop another soy lecithin...... Hope you feel better though!

Thanks. It did heal on it's own. I took some vit C and that was really it. I didn't have OJ or else I would have done the garlic too. I can't chew raw garlic and if I take it like a pill I need a flavored drink. It seems OJ kills that garlic taste for me enough to tolerate it.

I guess it was a plugged duct or a milk bleb? I have been getting them SO much this time around! Not looking forward to the next one!

It still hurts a tiny bit but not badly at all and no more redness....

Quote Originally Posted by soniabee View Post
    I was thinking thrush as well or maybe a milk blister. I got milk blisters several times early on and I literally had to shove my fist in my mouth to keep from screaming while nursing for 2-3 days.