Thread: Bronchiolitis - NOT bronchitis

Default Bronchiolitis - NOT bronchitis

My 8 month old was just diagnosed yesterday (Also, ear infection and possibly asthma triggered by the virus). He is not wheezing today, but still very fast labored breathing compared to normal. I am freaking out at work today, even though daddy is home with him today and is very capable.

Can anyone offer me any calming words? Any experiences with it? We are on day 5/6 of labored breathing (gradually getting worse each day). He's the one having labored breathing, but I can't breath easy either worrying about him.

Blog Entries

Did they give you an inhaler with spacer or a nebulizer? If not and he is getting worse, take him back to the doctor. Well, even if they didn't give you those, I'd take him back in. You don't want to mess with worsening breathing.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

My girls have both had bronchiolitis several times, starting at about 6 months. My older daughter was in the hospital a couple times for it when the wheezing got really bad. We did round the clock albuterol treatments (every 4 hours) with the nebulizer when they're acutely ill, and eventually we had to add Pulmicort as a preventative measure as they kept having episodes. My older daugther also had to have oral steroids on a couple of occasions as the wheezing didn't improve with nebulizer treatments. The good news is, they both outgrew the issues after the age of 2, though they both had asthma/reactive airway diagnosis at their second birthdays.

Did the pedi prescribe a nebulizer? That would be my first question. My girls both improve with that (usually), but it does usually take some time. If pedi didn't get you a neb, then I would be taking him back if he's getting worse. They can even do an in-office treatment to see if he responds to the meds.
    It's so scary to hear them having trouble! Good luck and KUP!!

Me (Jen), DH (Mike), DD (Amelia Corinne, born April 25, 2008), DD (Liana Elise, born Sept 28, 2010)

Yes, we bought the nebulizer yesterday. His oxygen level in the doctor's office pre-neb was 83 and post-neb jumped up to 94 even though his breathing didn't seem to change (based on sound) which is why they prescribed the neb. The doctor says (so far) he is not sick enough to be hospitalized -- I'd love to keep it that way -- and he is way too busy playing to be sick. The only time it bothers him visibly is when he has a cough attack. What bothers him more is the congestion and post nasal drip irritating his stomach.

I can...

my baby(20m now) had this at 8 months too. They tried a nebulizer in office, but she received no benefit from it so we did not get one(which I was fine with) he said maybe 30% of kids benefit from it and the rest don't and it's pointless and costly...

It's viral so there was no antibiotics and after a few days she started sounding and doing so much better.

She also had a double ear infection with hers too...total bummer there. and now she still has asthma triggered by colds and coughs and such...so we do do a inhaler(with this goofy mask thing) and that seems to help a LOT...she maybe needs it 4 or 5 times a year and most likely will outgrow her need for it based on what her pediatrician said.

Hope your sweet baby is back to 100% soon!

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Oh my word...not sure I agree. A saturation of 84 that only improves to 94 in an 8month old should be monitored in the hospital. I would go back and tell them I'm not comfortable monitoring my baby at home and would prefer 24hrs of inpatient observation to make sure the treatments are continuing to improve saturation levels. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me but that's my 2cents .

(((Big hugs))) momma !
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Oh my word...not sure I agree. A saturation of 84 that only improves to 94 in an 8month old should be monitored in the hospital. I would go back and tell them I'm not comfortable monitoring my baby at home and would prefer 24hrs of inpatient observation to make sure the treatments are continuing to improve saturation levels. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me but that's my 2cents .

(((Big hugs))) momma !
    I agree 100%! Wow, 83 is really low. Really really low. I'm pretty sure my ped would have sent us directly to the hospital for that. Seems like even at 94% supplemental oxygen would be needed, but has been awhile since I had a baby with RSV/Bronchiolitis. I think I remember that they had to maintain levels of 98% without breathing treatments to get off the oxygen. I have had 2 babies with it, both very young and hospitalized.

If he does not seem significantly better, or even worse, I would take him back in today. Is he acting normally? Does he seem to be having trouble breathing still?

Totally agree with Kelly and runningmom. I would be visiting the Doctor again.

We've done several rounds of bronchiolitis due to rsv or whooping cough and a sat level under 93 that did not improve to 97 or better meant hospitalization with oxygen and breathing treatments. Every percentage point is important so 94 may not seem that far from 97 but it is. Had your LO started at 94 it wouldn't be as big of a concern.

Thinking of you! Kup!

Yes, I'd being going back to the doctor or perhaps the ER for a second opinion. Whenever Nathan gets that labored breathing like that (and Erin has taken him to the ER with it twice this winter), they end up giving him an oral steroid medication to take for 10 days or so, plus he gets the nebulizer treatments four times a day, with one of those being an inhaled steroid and the other three being albuterol. They've tentatively diagnosed Nathan with asthma, but both of the times that he's had that labored breathing, he was diagnosed as having pneumonia.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

Blog Entries

I really would either take him back to the pediatrician or to the ER for a second opinion. I would think that minimally he should also be on steroids as an oxygenation level of 94 is still worrisome. He should not be sounding progressively worse especially if you are treating him regularly with the nebulizer.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Thinking about little baby, wondering how he's doing today. Hope all is well!

Allie's were at 95 and she did not require hospitalization. All pedi's might have different guideliness they follow, not sure...

let us know how he is doing?

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

He's a little better today. Still has a nasty cough, but he isn't wheezing nearly as much as yesterday. Also, he does not wheeze or have any trouble breathing when he is sleeping so he is sleeping well (and so are my husband and me! )

Yes, 80's is low, but low 90's for a baby is ok (not great, but not requiring hospitalization by any means) who is sick. This is according to the doctor he saw, his regular doctor, and my aunt who is a doctor. Considering the kid was wanting to jump on my lap even when his levels were in the 80's tells me he wasn't feeling the effects. That, or because his fingers and toes are so small, the 80-something reading wasn't accurate. His energy levels never have dropped, he has wanted to play continuously throughout the entire illness. His appetite decreased a bit, but that is coming back. Unfortunately, because of all the post nasal drip getting into his stomach, he will now eat a few ounces of milk, throw it all up with all the slime. THen he'll happily continue to finish the rest just fine. I'm not happy about the "wasted" milk, but it is pretty obvious his stomach feels better after he gets it out.

It's a lovely illness.

I'm glad that he's feeling better, and hope that he is fully recovered quickly. It is so heartbreaking when wee ones are so sick, although they seem to bounce back much quicker than we do, haha!

Thanks for keeping us updated!

All three of the trio and our oldest were diaginosed with this at the ER at a Children's hospital right before Thanksgiving so they were 5.5 months. One baby & M recieved a breathing treatment and the other two they did nothing for. Said it would last a couple months and good luck. Two are still wheezing, some days worse than others & he'll probably go to the ER again tonight since I can't find anywhere to get him in.
    Julie, DH: W, DS: Mason, GGB Trips Amelia, Ellanor & Noah
    FFS "Baby C" disrupted fost/adopt of sibs Q,Z,J & K 9/10-3/11

RaeJ...so glad he's doing better!!

As is...(((hugs)))...praying for those sick little ones ! Thinking of you!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaeJ View Post
    He's a little better today. Still has a nasty cough, but he isn't wheezing nearly as much as yesterday. Also, he does not wheeze or have any trouble breathing when he is sleeping so he is sleeping well (and so are my husband and me! )

Yes, 80's is low, but low 90's for a baby is ok (not great, but not requiring hospitalization by any means) who is sick. This is according to the doctor he saw, his regular doctor, and my aunt who is a doctor. Considering the kid was wanting to jump on my lap even when his levels were in the 80's tells me he wasn't feeling the effects. That, or because his fingers and toes are so small, the 80-something reading wasn't accurate. His energy levels never have dropped, he has wanted to play continuously throughout the entire illness. His appetite decreased a bit, but that is coming back. Unfortunately, because of all the post nasal drip getting into his stomach, he will now eat a few ounces of milk, throw it all up with all the slime. THen he'll happily continue to finish the rest just fine. I'm not happy about the "wasted" milk, but it is pretty obvious his stomach feels better after he gets it out.

It's a lovely illness.
    Quick question...did they use the infant type that wraps like a bandaid or the clip?