Thread: ever heard of "tastefully simple"

Default ever heard of "tastefully simple"

Ok, this is more of a rant, but especially for people who care where there food comes from. My SIL mentioned this company on FB. I never heard of it, so I looked at their website. I am so appalled. First, I am totally against all of these "consultant" businesses - pampered chef, stell and dot, scentsy. I think they are all glorified ponzi schemes where acquaintances pressure you into supplementing their income. If I want to buy something, I will buy it. I don't throw parties at my house asking my friends to pay me for drafting wills for them.

But more importantly, the website says: "We offer a wide selection of convenient, easy-to-prepare foods designed to help people spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying the rest of their lives. Our products are available through independent Tastefully Simple consultants primarily at home taste-testing parties nationwide."

Isn't that one of the biggest problems in this country?? If people spent MORE time in the kitchen with their families actually cooking actual food, our children wouldn't be obese and they might develop a real appreciation for the things they put in their body. How is this a "speciality" company based on "convenience" cooking? And I pulled up some of the products and the lists of ingredients are atrocious. Chemical sh!t storms. Trying to make processed food sound fancy. What a shame.

I have not heard of the company but I agree with you.

On a separate note, I try to avoid packaged food even if the ingredients are not a "chemical sh&t storm" because I find that the more we eat home made food, the more we want it and the more we avoid processed, sugary, salty food.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    On a separate note, I try to avoid packaged food even if the ingredients are not a "chemical sh&t storm" because I find that the more we eat home made food, the more we want it and the more we avoid processed, sugary, salty food.
    I totally agree. It wasn't until I had kids that I really stopped to think, what is the value of what I (or more accurately, they) are about to eat. I do my best to avoid nutritionally empty foods. That's not to say that we don't have treats, because we certainly do. But I would far prefer we snack on fruit, veggies, dried fruit, yogurt, cheese, etc., instead of crackers, pretzels and popcon - even the organic brands.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

One of the mom's from my girls' class sells 31 Gifts, Scentsy, DeMarle...and Tasetefully Simple. Oy, the parties. I only go for the purses because I'm too lazy to go try a bunch out at a store

IMO the food isn't even good. Or else she has prepared all the gross stuff for her parties. I agree with you on the foods we feed our family and how that shapes the foods we want. Just a stupid example: I have never had Brussels sprouts. Ever. My mom was forced to eat them as a kid and vowed she'd never feed them to her kids-and she didn't. So what this did for me is create an "I don't like Brussels sprouts" mentality for me that I didn't realize was going on until just recently. That's not the only veggie that I've inherited a "dislike" (as in, never tried) because I wasn't fed it because my mom was forced to eat it. So for me that has changed how I approach the foods I serve my kids-not just the variety but how I handle when they don't want to eat something.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I've only heard of it because my mom was gifted some. The name deceived me. I thought simple meant simple ingredients. Then, I looked at the ingredient list and was wrong.

I agree with you that not spending enough time in the kitchen cooking real food is a problem in this country. However, I am a SAHM and have the luxury of being able to cook throughout the day. Nowadays, many families need both parents working and dont have the time to cook real food.

Quote Originally Posted by i.<3.cheesysmiles View Post
    I've only heard of it because my mom was gifted some. The name deceived me. I thought simple meant simple ingredients. Then, I looked at the ingredient list and was wrong.

I agree with you that not spending enough time in the kitchen cooking real food is a problem in this country. However, I am a SAHM and have the luxury of being able to cook throughout the day. Nowadays, many families need both parents working and dont have the time to cook real food.
    See I don't like that mentality. I think there are plenty of working parents who DO cook real food and I feel like if most cared enough they would find a way. You can prepare food, chop your ingredients, cook large portions all on the weekends. This company has it wrong. They should be teaching people who don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen how to do that with natural ingredients and how easy it can be. I make a broccoli & pasta with garlic and olive oil that my kids devour in about the time it takes to make the pasta. It's totally possible. And when it isn't they can at least make healthy take out choices like a rotisserie chicken or something.

Lindsay I would TOTALLY go to a will drafting party!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I also think that if working parents make it a priority, they can cook more homemade food. I have friends who are both working parents, and find time to cook and read books to their children and interact with them. Then I know parents who find a lot of excuses and turn on the TV, nuke something and start browsing their hand held devices. I agree that a SAHparent will be in a better position to cook a variety of things but there are so many easy and yummy meals that are healthy and could be easily done.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I do most of my cooking homemade (not all but probably about 75-85%) and use a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. I try to get things as natural as I can with ingredients and do not eat out often (maybe 1-2 times a month and never stuff like mcdonalds..that makes me physically sick). But I still really struggle with weight and obesity....and my homemade cooking is not normally things like cookies.
    So while homemade cooking alone doesn't always solve obesity, I do think that it helps with health. My numbers on labs are very good and I think that all the fruits and veggies have helped me stay healthier even with working in a hospital with a lot of sick people.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    See I don't like that mentality. I think there are plenty of working parents who DO cook real food and I feel like if most cared enough they would find a way. You can prepare food, chop your ingredients, cook large portions all on the weekends. This company has it wrong. They should be teaching people who don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen how to do that with natural ingredients and how easy it can be. I make a broccoli & pasta with garlic and olive oil that my kids devour in about the time it takes to make the pasta. It's totally possible. And when it isn't they can at least make healthy take out choices like a rotisserie chicken or something.

Lindsay I would TOTALLY go to a will drafting party!
    I am with you on this point. I do a lot of my cooking at 6:30 am, while the kids are waking up and before I go to work. Maybe a little prep right before dinner. Easy meals during the week, more elaborate stuff on the weekend. It's all about making it a priority. Making homemade meals doesn't take all theat much time - and this particular company is selling lots of "mixes" and "bases", which means people still have to finish them. So basically you're just paying for the processed part.

And if you don't have a will, Am, you need one! PM me for more info. Free of charge, unlike Scentsy ;-)

i agree with all you have said and hate all of the consultant parties too...you buy crap so the host get stheir for free...sweet. never had a party and never will. also, hate tastefully simple crap as well. it's such crap.

but agreed....if you were hosting a Will party i'd so go...LOL!

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

This is a really interesting post because at the heart of this issue is the fact that so many people don't understand basic nutrition, how to grocery shop, or meal planning let alone how to cook a meal. I find it interesting that the first lady's platform focus' on childhood obesity but no where is there dialogue about returning home economics and nutrition back to the school curriculum. I believe that there may come a time where anyone can find themselves in a position of needing some help but I feel we do ourselves a disservice by not requiring anyone on assistance to take a basic nutrition class, learn how to menu plan and grocery shop and teach a few basic cooking techniques. Your dollar goes farther (really it can with good shopping skills) and your family eats much better.

Bz

Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    I am with you on this point. I do a lot of my cooking at 6:30 am, while the kids are waking up and before I go to work. Maybe a little prep right before dinner. Easy meals during the week, more elaborate stuff on the weekend. It's all about making it a priority. Making homemade meals doesn't take all theat much time - and this particular company is selling lots of "mixes" and "bases", which means people still have to finish them. So basically you're just paying for the processed part.

And if you don't have a will, Am, you need one! PM me for more info. Free of charge, unlike Scentsy ;-)
    I do have one but the party still sounds like a blast!

Those "finishing" or base things are SUCH a pet peeve of mine. It's lose-lose because you have to do the prep AND you get all the crap and preservatives. It's like adding processness (probably not a word) to a homemade meal. I really don't get it. I scream when I see the commercial for the disgusting congealed chicken stock being poured into the pan with cut up chicken and chopped veggies - it totally ruins it!!! You spend all that time cutting up chicken and peppers and then pour this sodium-laden, msg-filled crap on it! Why not add some butter/flour mixture and white wine, or homemade stock or at least low sodium stock, or pretty much ANYTHING rather than that?! It just kills me.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)