Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antibiotic induced colitis

Default antibiotic induced colitis

One of my sons had a bad ear infection before Christmas- screaming in pain, 104 degree fever, etc. He was on abx for 14 days.

He has been off abx for 4 WEEKS. Two days after he finished his meds, he started diarrhea. He has had 2 incidents of pooping blood and our ped had me bring him to the office immediately both times. All of his panels have come back negative (c-diff, salmonella, parasites...). He still has diarrhea, although no bleeding for 11 days. The ped is calling me this afternoon to discuss again. He's been to the office 4 times in total. I feel like if she doesn't have a plan today, I need to bring him to the ped practice at the best university hospital in town. I'm not sure how quickly I can get in there- I've vaguely heard that it can be slow but have not tried, yet.

We're doing probiotics 3 times a day, bland diet, lots of water & pedialyte.

Anybody encountered this before? I'm trying to think if there is anything else I should push for or ask about.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Blog Entries

I was going to suggest probiotics - I'm glad that you have him on those. When my kids had a virus that caused diarrhea it seemed to never end but after two weeks of constant all over the place diarrhea it tapered off to two to four episodes of a normal amount of poop in diarrhea form each day. After two weeks of that, it took a week of probiotics before the diarrhea stopped and the pooping was back to normal for both of them. How long have you been doing the probiotics? Does he seem at all dehydrated?
    Last edited by JJorn; 01-28-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

I was doing probiotics the whole time he was on meds but only once a day. I went up to 3 times a day as soon as tummy trouble started. He has not been dehydrated, has been happy and eating & drinking well. This weekend, he seemed a little pale and couldn't keep up with his brother as well when running around. Every time he eats, he poops 3-4 times. I think it's taking a toll on him. I've been worried this whole time (actually I totally freaked about the blood) but the ped said to give it a month- now I feel like I need to force the issue.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Blog Entries

Yeah, that is still a lot of diarrhea. I would also be concerned and push for further testing or a second opinion.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

I am just gonna throw this out there...when my Megan(4 now) was 18ish months old she ended up with diahrea for 6 weeks. She pooped 3-4 times a day...we did every test we could under the sun on her poop(which was grosser than gross) and in the end it all came out that sometimes toddlers her age just get the poops. Irritating, yes...but not a lot you can do. Sometimes it's because the antibiotics kill all the good bugs in their tummy along side the bad bugs, and replacing those can take some time. So, while I understand your frustration...if you are not seeing blood now and they tell you not to worry...I would probably agree with them, but that is just me. If you will feel better taking him to another doc, then get a second opinion...just not sure it will tell you anymore than what you've already been told...especially if they've done all the testing they really can do hang in there mama...I understand the frustration...I picked Megan up from daycare daily with a shirt and diaper on because she pooped through her pants it was not cool...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

While it could be typical-for him-post abx diarrhea (for four weeks, though? That's long) with the presence of intermittent blood I would possibly push for a pedi gastro referral. What color was the blood? If it was red and streaks it was likely just irritation from the diarrhea. If it was darker, maroon, it's from up inside the intestinal tract and could be a bigger deal. Or might not be.

If there hasn't been ANY improvement after a month, despite the bland diet and probiotics, I really would think your pedi would be asking you to go to a gastro. But maybe not. Hopefully Lydia will chime in-she's our resident poop nurse/expert!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Throwing it out there, but perhaps it's the frequency, duration, and amount of probiotics that are making him ill. Especially if he's eating other foods that contain them (like yogurts during the day). Or maybe that choice of product, on its own, is one that does not agree with him. (Maybe not an allergic reaction but an intolerance) But i agree with the above advice to seek gastro help if you feel that your primary pediatrician can't get a handle on it.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 01-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.

I was wondering this too. My Allie(20m) seemed to need to stop probiotics right at 1 becuase she was pooping(overly loose) nonstop and once I stopped them her poops were far more normal...
    Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    Throwing it out there, but perhaps it's the frequency, duration, and amount of probiotics that are making him ill. Especially if he's eating other foods that contain them (like yogurts during the day). Or maybe that choice of product, on its own, is one that does not agree with him. (Maybe not an allergic reaction but an intolerance) But i agree with the above advice to seek gastro help if you feel that your primary pediatrician can't get a handle on it.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I would push for a gastro doctor as well. Though its rare I wanted to mention at 4 my brother was diagnosised with Ulcertive sp? colitis. I know bloody stools is a big problem. I don't want to alarm you just giving you some insight. Get a 2ND opinion for sure.

Blog Entries

Hmmm...it is true that too much probiotics can cause diarrhea, too....

Have you completely eliminated dairy products?
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

I would stop giving him the probiotics and just stick to yogurt and binding things and see a gastro. Poor guy
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    That's an interesting thought. A year ago he had another ear infection and had antibiotics. He did tolerate this probiotic well but it's possible that there is something about this formula is causing an issue. Over the month this has been going on, he has seemed to be better and I've cut back to 1 or 2 doses and we've ended up with major issues again. None of this is a controlled experiment so it's been hard to identify what (if anything) is causing what.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    Hmmm...it is true that too much probiotics can cause diarrhea, too....
    I didn't know that- the ped has not mentioned a thing other than suggesting I up him to 3 doses a day. I'll look into that more.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    Have you completely eliminated dairy products?
    For 48 hours- from that I've read lactose intolerance kicks in within 30 min to 2 hours and should pass after the body rids itself of the lactose. I didn't see any positive change so I started up again. He has not had any milk this whole time. I've been limiting him to 1 slice of cheese & 1 yogurt a day.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I would stop giving him the probiotics and just stick to yogurt and binding things and see a gastro. Poor guy
    That's the thing one dr at the practice warned me that even a small amount of yogurt & cheese can be hard to digest so to be very cautious. The other dr agreed that since he usually eats a lot of cheese/yogurt adding back some probably wouldn't hurt.
    My 3 yo cuties!

The nurse called with referral info, so we are going to the ped GI on Wed am. Very glad they are getting us in soon.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    The nurse called with referral info, so we are going to the ped GI on Wed am. Very glad they are getting us in soon.
    So good they are getting him in quickly!

Blog Entries

Good news! I hope that the GI doc can shed some light on this situation.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I'm sorry he's been so sick. I would say at this point, since he's had everything done that would be the initial steps, I would recommend going to a pedi GI doctor. I'm glad you're getting in so soon, and I hope you get some answers soon!

We had our appointment this am. No news yet- met with the dr and a NP who were both super nice. They think we are doing the right things (makes me feel little better). We did a blood draw- DS was a trooper, sad but trying really hard to cooperate. I have to get 3 poop samples over first thing tomorrow. I should get b/w results by Fri & we also have a follow up appt next Wed. I don't like waiting but I feel like we are moving towards an answer.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Praying you get some answers very soon!!

Blog Entries

I'm so glad that you for the reassurance that you were doing the right things. I do really hope that they can figure this out soon.

Yesterday we found out that he is slightly anemic and today I found out that he has C-diff after all. I guess they have a more sensitive test than the one the ped uses. I'm annoyed b/c i had asked the ped about double checking those results as it seemed so likely after a round of antibiotics. Working on getting our rx and getting him back on track!
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    Yesterday we found out that he is slightly anemic and today I found out that he has C-diff after all. I guess they have a more sensitive test than the one the ped uses. I'm annoyed b/c i had asked the ped about double checking those results as it seemed so likely after a round of antibiotics. Working on getting our rx and getting him back on track!
    So glad you got an answer and hope your little guy starts healing soon!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

ick...i just pray no one else in your house gets it...get better soon!

Blog Entries

Yay for an answer finally! I hope the medication helps quickly and things get back to normal for you all.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear this, and that it took so long to get a diagnosis. I just couldn't give you any good guesses, since that seemed the most likely suspect and all his tests had come back negative. It can be notoriously difficult to get rid of, but hopefully with a good treatment plan and staying on top of his medications, he'll start feeling better right away and then have it eradicated for good eventually.

I am very careful about about meds, etc so hopefully we will get the c-diff under control soon.

Somebody made a comment to my dh that we should be careful about over doing abx. He's had abx 2 x's in 32 months! Both times i felt that he needed them... It's silly to let comments get to me but I was not in the mood to hear that. Anyhow, since I have a sister & a cousin who have had their colon removed, I was stressing about family history but I feel like we can work thru this.
    My 3 yo cuties!

So glad you have an answer! Praying he's on the mend very soon and tx is effective!