Thread: chest pains in a 4.5 year old

Default chest pains in a 4.5 year old

Parker's teacher came out to my car yesterday at pick up time to tell me that Parker complained of chest pains at school. It was after lunch and they were sitting down (so no running around...nothing physical, etc). She doesn't eat fast at all....she's a super slow eater so I don't think its from eating too fast. She had nothing acidic in her lunch (she has a little cut on her lip so I was very careful not to put anything in her lunch that would make her lip sting). She only drinks water. She hasn't been sick recently. Teachers didn't call me because there was no breathing issues, no color change, Parker was not agitated by it, but they did have her sit quietly and they read to her for a little while. She said it wasn't her belly but up in her chest (parker pointed to where it hurt. I wanted her to show me incase she was confusing tummy with chest).

Anywho, I googled it and its says its NOT UNCOMMON. I thought that was weird. Has any of your kids complained of chest pains? I'm not uber concerned right now but if it happens again I'll take her to the doc (however, I'm not fond of our doc so I don't think they'll do too much).

Blog Entries

I wonder if it was just a bit of heartburn. Other than that I have no idea and would probably just keep an eye on her to make sure that nothing else is going on.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Keira had complained of chest pain and we figured out it was heartburn/reflux for her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

is she sick. sometimes chest pain also equates to pneumonia...anyway for one of my friends when her little one has gotten it 6 times in his 5 year life...that's what he tells her...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

(knocking on wood). She hasn't been sick in over a year. (I totally just jinxed myself).

It's definitely not uncommon. Usually it's indigestion or a pulled muscle or a random fluke. I would just watch her and see if it becomes more frequent. Definitely chest pain *with exercise* is worrisome and should be evaluated.

I was thinking indigestion too cause that can definitely feel like chest pain!

My son David used to get sudden, severe chest pains, pains that stopped him cold -- he'd grab his chest and curl into himself -- when he was younger, but I don't think they started that young. He had a full cardiac workup and they couldn't find a thing wrong with him. They said it was some kind of muscular spasm or something like that. I know he was still having them in high school, but I don't think he has them now. He hasn't mentioned it, at least, if he does.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

I wonder if its Asthma? Or a pulled muscle maybe?