Thread: staying dressed

Default staying dressed

how do you get your child to get derssed and stay in their clothing?
    ds has secided that he would rather scream and cry to the point of puking because he wants to go bottomless. and i cannot let him be bottomless because he gets a rash from sitting on the floor (looks like eczema and clears up with aquaphor and being covered overnight) we didn't do the naked butt potty training, he has never been allowed to be bottomless and i am tired of constantly telling him to put his pants on.
    what are your suggestions?
    (i have tried reverse psychology, praising dd for wearing pants, time outs, taking away fun activities and toys, bribing with snacks... i don't kow how to get him to put his pants on and leave them on.)

Sounds like it's some sort of power struggle with him. Have you tried just ignoring it? I understand that he gets a rash from sitting on the floor, but maybe you can have a cushion or mat or something for him to sit on so it won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    Sounds like it's some sort of power struggle with him. Have you tried just ignoring it? I understand that he gets a rash from sitting on the floor, but maybe you can have a cushion or mat or something for him to sit on so it won't be a problem.
    we tried that too. he gets a rash from sitting on the couch, the floor, the carpet, the playmat, his bed....the only time he stays rash free is when hes got pants on.... otherwise i would ignore it.. he also scratches the rashy spot to the point of it bleeding so i worry about it getting infected when he sits on the dirt or on the dog.

Do you let him pick out his clothes? Put out three things and let him choose? (So my son chooses which underwear then which t-shirt and then which pants, shoes, socks, etc... but I make certain that the choices match.) My son giggles a ton when i do "eeny-meany-miney-moe" (sp) so he likes me to do that some days. That may not help in keeping him dressed but since your son is at that age when control/independence become a big issue for them (which is great!), maybe he's looking for you to let him make some of the decisions.

I'd let him. I wouldn't create a power struggle over that. I'd either one, explain to him that having a naked bum gives him owies, and then let him make the choice. When he gets the rash, remind him how he got it. He'll eventually put the two together and then make the choice that is right for him ( even if it's not what you would do if you were him).

Or, I'd tell him he can go naked-bum IF he follows the rules- no sitting at all.

He's 2 1/2, right? He should be able to handle both those options!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal5 View Post
    I'd let him. I wouldn't create a power struggle over that. I'd either one, explain to him that having a naked bum gives him owies, and then let him make the choice. When he gets the rash, remind him how he got it. He'll eventually put the two together and then make the choice that is right for him ( even if it's not what you would do if you were him).

Or, I'd tell him he can go naked-bum IF he follows the rules- no sitting at all.

He's 2 1/2, right? He should be able to handle both those options!
    I agree! Tell him he needs to wear clothes when you leave the house, no matter what though

My son went through the same thing around that age. I told him he could as long as he didn't pee anywhere but the potty. He potty trained that day (he was just that head strong). He liked to wrap in a blanket, and that was what he "wore" most of the time we were home. When he did wear clothes he would only wear sweatpants with no underwear.

Maybe find out what it is about his pants he doesn't like? Too tight and constricting? Itchy? Sounds like he has very sensitive skin, maybe his clothes are just uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post

Maybe find out what it is about his pants he doesn't like? Too tight and constricting? Itchy? Sounds like he has very sensitive skin, maybe his clothes are just uncomfortable.

I agree with this. Is it an option for him to wear only underwear? Is that enough coverage to stop the rash? Or maybe loose pants sans underwear? My DD gets rashes from having undies on TOO much, so more often than not she's only in loose pajama pants on the bottom unless we're leaving the house or have company over. For the same reason- rashes- she only has 1 pair of jeans and I rarely put them on her.

its been too cold to only wear underwear... he does pick out his clothing and its usually some flannel or sweat pants. i wouldn't care if he would wear pants with no underwear. and its after pottying that he refuses to put anything back on... i will try to get him to at least wear pants.

My kids parade about in just underpants a lot of the time at home. We do have the rule that they need to have at least underpants on though, my explanation (which seems to work for both of them) is "What if someone comes to the door! You don't want them to see your naked butt!" Pajama pants are another favorite if we don't have to go anywhere.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years