Thread: Kids hair...will it get thinker when they get older?

Default Kids hair...will it get thinker when they get older?

DH has very think hair, well what is left. When he had his full head of hair, it was nice. I on the other hand, have hair that is on the thinner side. When I pull back my hair in a pony tailit is not huge. So my first three kids all have that really fine whisper hair. It is super thin ( the actual hair shaft). With Corbin, his is still pretty think on his scalp as well. My question is...do you think their hair will always be on the thinner side or could it get thicker when they get older?

Violet sees like she might have my DH hair ad that is what prompted my wonder. Of course she is nearly bald, but has so much more hair than all my other kids at this age.

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

It can. My sister looked like your kids with the baby fine white hair and hers definitely got thicker and more dirty blonde as she got older. Both our parents did have thick hair though.

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

When Erin was little, she had extremely thin, very curly hair. Now she has a very thick head of hair. So yeah, it can happen.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

A hairdresser told me if I cut off all of ds' hair that it would grow back much thicker and no longer be baby fine. I buzzed his hair and it did grow back thicker. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with dd because I'm not going to buzz her hair.

Disclaimer: both dh and I have thick hair

My cousin had truly baby fine hair until she was four years old or so. You couldn't even put a barrette in it without it sliding right out. Her hair thickened up and she has a perfectly nice, normal head of hair now (and has for years and years, of course).

Great! I assumed it would thicken up a bit and then my newborn hair is so different it got me wondering. And of course dreaming that the first three would have stringy, straggly thin hair and Violet would have the shiny lushous brown hair that would stop traffic. I guess I can just chill! LOL

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (5) Isabe11e (4) and C0rbin (3) Vio1et (16 months)

My oldest's hair got waaaay thicker as she got older. Now DD2 still has fine hair but it's losing it's curl like DD1's did so I am wondering if it will start to get thicker. But yeah 100% true for DD1.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

My older three haven't really changed. Hayden has always had the most, and the thickest, hair. Xander comes in second. Lily has always had thinner and slow to grow hair....and now so does Jericho. I think you are pretty much born with the hair type that you are going to have you know? It is a genetic thing. Mine has always been really thick and wavy, never has changed.
    Last edited by TripMomma; 01-27-2013 at 11:01 PM.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!

DS2 had really fine, wispy hair as a toddler, and now it's super-thick. Both boys had light hair, DS2's was the lightest in color, but it's getting darker with age. Right now, they both have dirty-blonde hair. My hair was the same as a child, and now it's very thick, light brown. I imagine theirs will be the same.

Blog Entries

My cousin's hair really didn't thicken up until she was much older - high school age. We all thought that she was doomed to have fine, thin hair for life.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

This is a cool article on the genetics that are in the hair
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/23...-growth-genes/
    Last edited by TripMomma; 01-28-2013 at 10:27 AM.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!