Thread: Fever/Flu during the pregnancy and the risk of Autism

Default Fever/Flu during the pregnancy and the risk of Autism

I read an article about the increased risk of Autism in teh newborn when the mother experienced prolonged fever or had a flu during pregnancy. So when I have a fever should I take Tylenol? Is Tylenol all that safe during pregnancy?

Blog Entries

Do you have a link to the article? And yes, Tylenol is safe.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Blog Entries

Here is a link to one article talking about this.

And as expected you need a subscription to read the actual study.
    Last edited by JJorn; 01-24-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Default Flu, Fever, Pregnancy and Risk of Autism

Yes this is the link to the article and the video:

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ncy-study?lite

And this is a very informational website and I recommend that you watch this video as well:

http://www.prevent-autism.org/pregna...es-autism.html

What I learned from listening to other mothers who lost their babies or whose babies suffer from autism is as follow: Never take flu vaccine while pregnant do it BEFORE!!!!!!!
    Last edited by chabe; 01-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Blog Entries

It's funny that you say that because the articles all say that pregnant women should get the flu vaccine to decrease their chance of getting the flu.
    My blog about MCAD

Quote Originally Posted by chabe View Post
    Yes this is the link to the article and the video:

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ncy-study?lite

And this is a very informational website and I recommend that you watch this video as well:

http://www.prevent-autism.org/pregna...es-autism.html

What I learned from listening to other mothers who lost their babies or whose babies suffer from autism is as follow: Never take flu vaccine while pregnant do it BEFORE!!!!!!!

I disagree.
    I'm required to have the flu vaccine for work, and I was 6w pregnant at the time of getting it. I told the nurse practitioner administering the shots and she just gave me preservative free. The flu shot is safe during pregnancy, and recommended.
    DD 05/14/2013

I think it's a personal decision. I wouldn't and didn't get the flu shot while pregnant but I don't fault anybody that did. Look at poor Jessica and how sick she was. The way I see it is choosing the lesser of two evils: getting a flu shot which may or not be safe during pregnancy and possibly getting the flu which may or not be safe during pregnancy. It's a tricky situation best made between you and your care provider and no one else.

JJorn: I know you were very sick with this PG but the article says 99% of the women did not have ASD kids.... So here is to hoping
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Blog Entries

Thanks ladies. I was not happy to read this to say the least, but I did get on Tamiflu on day 2 and did my best to keep my temperature below 102. I honestly do think that the flu shot and my quick treatment saved my and hence my baby's life. If we do have an ASD child then that is what the Lord wants for us.

I really want to read the actual study! That recent Neadrathal story has further diminished my trust of the media. The media really just seems to want to make money and would rather have people read a partial truth account and "fix it" later. I though journalistic ethics were better than even that.
    My blog about MCAD

I agree that the media cannot be trusted. You did everything you could possibly do to stay healthy and keep your baby baby healthy and I would urge you to try not to worry about this.

Do you have any family members with Autism on either side of the family? Just curious. Interesting topic.

Blog Entries

I know very little about my Dad's side of the family but no one on my Mom's side has anyone on the Autism spectrum. I don't think that anyone on my DH's family does either (but it is very large and we don't know all of them well - each set of his grandparents had at least 8 children). My other two kids are ahead verbally and very friendly so don't appear to be on the spectrum either.
    My blog about MCAD

I think chances might increase when it is more prevelant in the family. I have a brother with Asperger's and I would guess my Uncle is the same and my grandfather. My dad has characteristics. My DH side is odd and might be on the spectrum as well. I wasn't aware about the flu shot during pregnancy I got mine at 8 weeks. I will do the modified vaccination schedule though when LO is born.

Default Please do not worry:-)

I am very sorry if I casued anyone any unnecessary stress. I don't think that science can tell what causes autism nowdays. We should not worry too much. Even if there are few cases of women who experienced some problems due to the flue shot while pregnant we still do not know other factors that might relevant to assess their cases in relation to the increased risk for autism. So I think we should just put all our worries in Gods hands and follow common sense. Good luck everyone with your pregnancies and keep smiling

Blog Entries

I did not check your links so maybe they say something about flu shots but all the articles I read said to get the flu shot so you decrease your chances of getting the flu while pregnant. I've read some interesting things about autism lately (before I even read this article) and there is very good evidence that autisim is determined in the womb. By 12 weeks babies have a ton of neurons - way more than an adult. For some reason, at least some autistic children do not pare down the number of neutrons in the third trimester to the normal amount. One researcher described an autistic person's brain as a factory with two to three times as many workers as needed. That results in chaos since there are simply too many people present for anything to get done.

Here is one link about this topic.
    My blog about MCAD

I think like everything else with childbearing and childrearing you do what you can to the best of your abilities: shot or not, flu or not, food choices, birth choices etc. I have heard all kinds of theories about what causes autism and none really knows. JJorn, interesting link, though. I personally think that it is a mish mash combo of genes, environmental factors and luck.

But I know of so many high functioning ASD children and many of them go on to have very fulfilling lives so it is not a death sentence for sure. Early intervention is soooo helpful and now all states have amazing programs for ASD kids.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)