Thread: Another illness wwyd...

Default Another illness wwyd...

I posted about DD2 earlier this week wondering if she "got the flu from the flu shot". She got the flu shot last Thurs (9 days ago). She only left the house once on Sunday to go out to dinner with my inlaws for a few hours. She has been home ever since and all week (a looooong week). Monday she was feverish and burning hot overnight. It broke and Tues she had a low grade fever (like 101). Wed & Thurs were fever free but I kept her home from school just to be sure. Her congestion started getting worse by Thurs and she was mopey and cranky. Friday she was simply miserable - stuff, runny, coughing and fever again! Friday night she was burning up again and totally miserable. Despite being so ill she slept relatively well with little coughing overnight. Today (Saturday) I was totally prepared to bring her back to the doctor fearing she had an upper resp infection or the actual flu. Well her fever is gone this morning. She is in decent spirits - eating & drinking but still has the stuffiness and cough. She doesn't even cough all that much....

WWYD? Would you take her back to the doc? I really don't want to because when I was there with DD1 getting her flu shot (on Monday) it was PACKED and we had to wait an hour. People were waiting in the hallways! I was convinced that we were there for a flu shot and would leave with the flu....

Our doc is closed tomorrow or else I would most definitely wait and see. I could take her to a walk in clinic tomorrow if need be but it's not a pediatric and I would be more comfortable with her regular doc. I have taken her to this walk in before and was satisfied with them - they actually were able to give her a chest xray which the pedi would not (if they suspected pneumonia).

Would you take her or wait? (I am leaning towards waiting but wanted to hear what others would do). Thanks

ETA: She will be 4 at the end of Feb. Anyone do OTC cough meds or decongestants? What do you use?
    Last edited by macksmom; 01-26-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

We've been dealing with the cough and congestion crud for a month now. I'm cleared up for the most part because I took abx for the secondary infection we all got, Emme had a reaction to her abx and we haven't put her on a new one. I've been making her lots of lemon and honey, giving her essential oils to take/gargle with/rubbing them on her neck/feet/chest, and giving her salt water to gargle as well. The boogers in the back of her throat are still green though

Last time we were at the dr he said they usually don't treat the cough unless its interfering with sleep, and the green bogeys usually not until they've been around for over 2 weeks. Unfortunately this flu keeps coming in waves, exactly how you described it. I got hit the day after Christmas, and I still have days of no energy, headache, sore throat, etc. It sucks.

I'd keep her home. Perhaps she'd drink some warm tea with honey before bed or as needed but if she's feeling better I'd wait it out.

I'd not take her in. I use honey for coughs, a honey lemon tea works great.

I also wouldn't take her in. With her immune system being lowered with what she has now I would not want to risk her picking something else up. We dealt with a similar prolonged cold/flu type thing with Jude before christmas. I never took him in but his cough did hang around a while before clearing up. Like others have said I give tea with honey.

Blog Entries

If she's doing better today, I'd probably stay home as well. We haven't done any otc meds other than tylenol/ibuprofin for fever, but I keep honey on hand for sore throats/coughs and now I let my older dd have cough drops. There's so much going around right now...hope she's better soon!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Thanks. I was more concerned that she spiked another fever thinking she was developing another infection or something. She randomly will feel warm at times but I don't think she is really running a fever today. I have been giving her children's advil. I guess I can expect the cough to be around a while...although she doesn't cough all that much but it sounds awful when she does.
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would keep her in. I have the flu now, very mild but still the flu. It comes in waves as Carrie said, the congestion with this one is bad. I give honey, tea for DS2 (DS1 won't touch it); another thing that works for me and my boys is that I start several humidifiers in the playroom (which is upstairs), close all doors and the gate to downstairs so that they have no choice but run and play and jump there (I even offer to chase them as a monster), the running in this warm wet air makes them cough up a lot of junk and their noses start expelling a lot of mucus. Nasal saline spray really helps too because it has saline solution (i.e. salt) and it prevents the bacterial development in their noses and down the throats (not always of course). We use that on both regularly if congested.

I just went for a light ride on my stationary bike for 30 min and I coughed my lungs out but now the mucus is gone. I have read that light physical activity helps some people with the flu; while others are too run down to do it. If she is feeling OK I would encourage her to run around and let the horribly sounding cough clear her throat
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)