Thread: Insurance question - switching near due date

Threaded View

Default Insurance question - switching near due date

A little background - DH was laid off from his job in November and we were under his insurance, so we switched to mine. Thankfully, he just got a new job but his insurance coverage doesn't start until 4/1 (I'm due March 29th). We will be switching to his new insurance at that time because I don't plan to return to work after the baby comes.

My question is - does anyone know how the coverage is handled for the hospital delivery if I am there when the insurance changes? That is, if I am admitted at the end of March and discharged in April? Does it make a difference if the baby is actually born in March, but I am still in the hospital in April (or the other way around - admitted March 31, but baby not born until April)? Will everything be covered under the first plan if that is what I am admitted under, or will the charges/claims be split by the month in which they actually occur? Will I have to meet both deductibles for the one delivery?

Of course, it will be much simpler if the little boy just holds out until April, or comes a few days early so I'm discharged before the end of March, but I just want to be prepared if insurance could be a mess, or if we'll have to pay a lot more out of pocket due to the switch.

Thanks for any advice!

Katie
    Last edited by KatieN; 01-26-2013 at 08:04 AM.
    Me-Katie(34) & DH-Tim(42). Married 10/2003. TTC since 6/2008. MC 5/2010 (8 weeks). MC 1/2011 (8 weeks). BFP 7/20/2012.