Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another lymph node update

Blog Entries

The ENT's office essentially said that same thing. She is a pediatric ENT and they order this kind of stuff all the time and have never had any issues.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Blog Entries

Today is the day. We are leaving in about an hour. If they cancel again I really don't know what I'll do. I called the ENT yesterday about getting his biopsy done this week before his physical expires on the 16th but haven't heard anything back...
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.

Blog Entries

Today is the day. We are leaving in about an hour. If they cancel again I really don't know what I'll do. I called the ENT yesterday about getting his biopsy done this week before his physical expires on the 16th but haven't heard anything back...probably won't happen!

Now, I just need to figure out who to write my letters to about all of this.

(((Hugs hugs hugs)))! Praying for you and Malachi today !!!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Hugs!

Jeanne, mom to Dev0n (6) Isabe11e (5) and C0rbin (3.5) Vio1et (almost 2)

Praying for smooth procedure and good answers
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Blog Entries

We are home! We left here at 830 and got back at about 315. Ugh. I am exhausted. Everyone was so surprised that Malachi was only two. One nurse said he was 2 going on 15. The care people we played with waiting for our appointment were shocked at how verbal he is (up to four word intelligible sentences) and were even more surprised that he is an early two.

I so hope that this is it. I wasn't thrilled with the situation but I don't know if it was just rough because it is always rough when it is your child or if they messed up in some way. If this hadn't been out fifth shot at this I probably wouldn't be wondering. I'll call for results on Thursday if I haven't heard anything. My nurse friend at Lurie's downtown said that the doctor should have results within 24 hours.

Yay for being OVER. Hoping for the best results possible.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I'm so glad its finally over! Prayers for good results!
    Jennifer

Oh man, what a mess this has been for you guys! I'd be pissed too. Praying for good news!!
    ~Andrea~

What a long day- I'm so hoping for good results. I hope you hear tomorrow!
    My 3 yo cuties!

Phew! You've been through the ringer!! So thankful you're on this side of the scan! Praying for good results and that you don't have to wait long (((hugs)))!!!

Glad the test is over! I pray for good news.

Blog Entries

Thanks all. The only snafu today was the CT people's fault (quickly remedied by the pediatrics nurse) so we do plan to follow through with them. The pediatrics team was actually really great. My DH still says that he will change our medical group to one that is affiliated with a children's hospital likely effective March first.

I figured our why I was so exhausted. By the time dinner rolled around I had eaten maybe 1000 calories total for the day. I felt much better after dinner. I also have a head cold but that is really just annoying.

Blog Entries

Malachi sounds amazing...I'm glad he did so well. And impressed the med staff! I hope everything comes back all right...thinking of you!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I'm glad it's over and pray for the best. They should have results within a few hours of it being completed. You could probably call by late morning tomorrow if you don't hear anything.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

Blog Entries

Maybe I'll call this afternoon then. The anesthesiologist dr. did say that the the scans were very good so someone had already looked at them pretty well before we left for home.

praying for good results!

Blog Entries

I got the results this morning! I'll also most likely get the official results this afternoon once they are released to his online records.

Ok, so this still looks like a lymph node but she doesn't think that it is a congenital defect. It is solid but doesn't look cystic. The mass is close to a muscle and very close to several blood vessels and might be compressing one. She says it is still very large. As expected she would like to do a biopsy. While doing that if the mass is very loose, she'll likely just take the whole thing out. If it is "sticky" then she will just biopsy it and worry about potential removal if therapeutic at a future date. Some cases where removal would not be therapeutic - lymphoma and something infectious. The biopsy would for sure tell us what it is and we'll move on to treatment at that point.

I'm so glad that you got news already! I hope the biopsy goes well- I'm sorry that you all have to go thru yet another procedure. I was hoping that they would tell you it was nothing and go on with your life but it will be good to know positively what it is and how best to deal.
    My 3 yo cuties!

So glad you have more info and are able to move forward. Praying the biopsy shows good results (((hugs)))!

Prayers for a good biopsy result! Hang in there - what a brave little guy you have.

Blog Entries

Thank you all. I'm not looking forward to spending all day in the hospital again soon but they can likely do this early in the morning so fasting won't be such an issue this time. Malachi was totally fine by the end of the day and very hungry so it seems that he also does not have my issues with anesthesiology.

The doctor did mention that she talked extensively with the head of radiology about all the issues that we had and said that we should expect a call from him to discuss this further. She indicated that she has never heard of a situation like ours before and I don't think she was very satisfied with the head of radiology's response to it all.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I got the results this morning! I'll also most likely get the official results this afternoon once they are released to his online records.Ok, so this still looks like a lymph node but she doesn't think that it is a congenital defect. It is solid but doesn't look cystic. The mass is close to a muscle and very close to several blood vessels and might be compressing one. She says it is still very large. As expected she would like to do a biopsy. While doing that if the mass is very loose, she'll likely just take the whole thing out. If it is "sticky" then she will just biopsy it and worry about potential removal if therapeutic at a future date. Some cases where removal would not be therapeutic - lymphoma and something infectious. The biopsy would for sure tell us what it is and we'll move on to treatment at that point.
    I just don't think that lymphoma is that common in a 2 year old. Tapir would know better, but believe me, I've read extensively about lymph nodes given my own son's randomly explosive cervical lymph nodes (I like him best in turtle necks and don't touch his neck anymore for my own sanity). And his blood work has ruled out leukemia, right? And he's not loosing weight, having fevers, etc. right? All good signs.

Blog Entries

The ENT said that since this is so large it isn't a good idea to wait it out - like three times larger than she would want to just watch. It is visually noticeable - his neck looks like there is a big mass on the side of it. I'll see if I can get a picture for you but since it is flesh colored and he is tired of people checking out his neck I might not be able to do so. She said that there are so many types of lymphoma and rare infections that this could still be one of those. She did agree that since his blood work is normal (in January, it was abnormal in June) and nothing else is going on those are very good signs that this isn't something catastrophic.

He's never been ill when one of us hasn't also been so recently. He is growing well, energetic, surpassing all developmental milestones and not strangely fatigued. So, the odds are with us that this is something benign.

I agree that it needs a biopsy which I hope will just show non-specific old infection. I'm telling you, from a mama who tends to worry herself sick about her own kids lymph nodes and gets anxious about this stuff even in other people's kids, I think that you have some really good signs here. They can throw the word "lymphoma" out there since this looks like a lymph node, but I think lymphoma in a 2 year old is just really really really rare.

Good luck with the biopsy!!!!
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I'm glad you've heard back, even if it wasn't really an answer. Best of luck with the biopsy!
    Jennifer

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone! All your kind words, thoughts and prayers have meant so much to us. I did get a somewhat good picture but then the computer at my mom's (we are temporarily living there before our big move this summer) only USB port broke - two of the four little prongs are gone. So, I can't get it onto the computer right now to share. Ugh.

His biopsy will be February 27th. The scheduler first said March 20-something but I told her that the doctor said something about next week and not wanting to wait very long. So, they had to get special permission from the OR to extend her available hours. I also found out that the ENT must be on staff at children's since she can do surgery there. The scheduler said that we could have it there but then checked our insurance and said never mind. We have thought that she is phenomenal. It is great to have her call us so promptly with results and she has been fine with calling me and then also talking separately with my DH.
    Last edited by JJorn; 02-14-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    I'm so glad that you got news already! I hope the biopsy goes well- I'm sorry that you all have to go thru yet another procedure. I was hoping that they would tell you it was nothing and go on with your life but it will be good to know positively what it is and how best to deal.
    Me too!
    Last edited by anonsouthernbell; 02-14-2013 at 09:31 PM.