Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another lymph node update

Blog Entries

Default Another lymph node update

My DS's blood work all came normal but the ultrasound showed enlarged lymph nodes throughout his neck. So he will have a needle biopsy on Tuesday. There will be a cytologist present so we should get results quickly. The other option was to knock him out and take a tissue sample but I wanted to avoid that if possible.

The nodes are solid masses. Her first guess is reactive lymph nodes.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

So glad everything is normal up to this point! Praying for good biopsy results too!! So glad you'll be getting the results immediately...waiting and not knowing is so nerve-wracking

So what does "reactive lymph node" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post
    So glad everything is normal up to this point! Praying for good biopsy results too!! So glad you'll be getting the results immediately...waiting and not knowing is so nerve-wracking

this
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

HUGS and T&Ps that everything will keep coming back fine!

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Quote Originally Posted by kellyowens View Post

Ita mama

Blog Entries

I must have missed all this...had no idea! Thinking of you and M and hope all is back to normal soon!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

Blog Entries

Thanks ladies! Only the one lymph node came up abnormally large the rest were still considered normally enlarged. That actually makes me feel much better about al this.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Blog Entries

We had the needle biopsy this morning and thus far it is inconclusive. They did two aspirations and for sure got white and red blood cells but not much else. They will centrifuge the samples and hopefully come up with lymphatic cells. We'll know by the end of the week what the final results are but the ENT cautioned that they could very well be nondiagnostic. Ugh. They said that Malachi did very well (much better than nearly every other child) but it still wasn't fun. He mostly cried and by the third time they even approached him that started (he had an injection to numb first).

The next step would be a CT or MRI followed by an incisional biopsy. She does want us to get another CBC just to make sure that an infection doesn't show up now that some time has passed. If we do the CT there is no sedation since it is quick. If we opt for the MRI he will need to be sedated. She is fine with either one.

We still need to get his TB test done, too.

My blog about MCAD

Oh sheesh ! Praying you get some definite answers !!
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Blog Entries

I missed the question about reactive lymph nodes. I don't know much except that sometimes there is a defect in a node and it gets abnormally large at some point after/during an infection. I think that you generally surgically remove them since they generally stay enlarged.

I was REALLY hoping that this biopsy would be the end of this!
    Last edited by JJorn; 01-29-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    My blog about MCAD

More thoughts and prayers that you get answers and can put your mind at ease soon!

Thoughts and prayers for him and your family. You are going through some tough times, mama!!!! So sorry. Stay strong
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Blog Entries

Poor little guy (and mama!). Thinking of you!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

HUGS. I hope you get some answers soon.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Tough, mama. I'll be thinking about you!.
    Kate, mama to Madi (4/18/08) and Jacob (10/8/10)

I'm sorry you guys are going through this- I hope you get good news very soon
    My 3 yo cuties!

Blog Entries

We got the biopsy results and they were nondiagnostic. There were some muscle cells, some red blood cells and white blood cells so that they point they have even less of an idea as to what this is (maybe not even an enlarged lymph node). So, all the routine things have been ruled out so we are left with the more rare items which obviously include scary things like cancer. There are still some benign possibilities, too. She did also look at some of his blood results from June (that were to make sure he was no longer anemic) and some of the numbers were a little off she said. She wants us to have another CBC done to see what things look like now. He did have one of those a few weeks ago so I asked the pediatrician's office to fax them over so maybe we can skip that.

I have to schedule the CT scan and then once those results are in he'll need to have an incisional biopsy. My DH asked if we could just take out what ever this is instead of just doing a biopsy and she said that without knowing what this is she wouldn't want to remove it. For some of the remaining possibilities removal would not be considered beneficial.

So, just pray for us and for Malachi. This is really not what we wanted to be hearing today.
    My blog about MCAD

Praying for you guys. I cannot imagine how difficult all of this is.

Thinking of you guys.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I'm so sorry! You've been through the wringer. I'll be thinking of you and Malachi for an accurate and benign diagnosis, and soon!
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Hang in there. I hope that he gets a diagnosis - and a definitive/positive one - very soon!

Hugs!! FNAs are often non-diagnostic and an excisional biopsy provides the final answer and in kids the lymph nodes are mistly reactive.

You must be so frustrated! I hope it turns out ok & that this is wrapped up quickly.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Oh Jess, I'm so sorry ! Thinking of you and praying

I did not even know this was going on. My thoughts are with you and Malachi and your whole family.

Blog Entries

Thank you all so much. The CT scan is set for Saturday morning. They are doing it with and without contrast so he can't eat for 4 hours before it. We are hoping that he won't need to be sedated and will have this done with the pediatric team at the hospital. He has his TB test tomorrow but that really is to just cross something else off the list. I am looking forward to have a definitive answer soon and we'll schedule the biopsy as soon as possible.

I was looking at his blood results from June and what was off were the various white blood cells. They could have been off just because his immune system was activated for some benign reason at that time (I can't remember anything noticeable, though) but with the mass now, too, it doesn't make me feel any better! I wish that we hadn't had to switch doctors because his January blood tests would be online for us and the ENT to know right now if the white blood cells counts/percentages were still off.
    My blog about MCAD

(((Hugs hugs hugs)))! I know it's so hard not to worry Praying for peace

Prayers and hugs
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Prayers are being said.

My thoughts are with you. I still wonder if this isn't going to end up being what my son had (branchial cleft cyst). I hope you get results of the scan tomorrow and don't have to wait any longer!
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10