Thread: Swimming Frequency

Default Swimming Frequency

How often would you be willing to take a 2 1/2 year old swimming? Keeping in mind that it's an indoor swimming pool, so the chlorine is pretty strong smelling (the water is average, but it hangs in the air more), and she NEVER goes under water.

I'm trying to get Maiya more comfortable in the water so we can all have more fun when we go to Hawaii in June... So she has 6 months!

This place is great and PERFECT for her, and she loves it and would go every day, and cheap, so I'm thinking about aiming to go 3 times a week (though that will never actually happen, we're too busy!!), at about an hour a time. But then I worry about it drying out her skin or hurting her eyes or irritating her lungs...

And, if you think it's fine to go often, any ideas for countering the effects of all that chlorine? Or do I worry too much?

Thanks!

Not sure about countering the effects of chlorine but I would aim for 1 or 2 a week for 30-40 min. If you can make it 3 times for an hour, then great, but I think if it is a regular thing (like 1-2 x week) she will get used to it really well over the next 6 months.

I worry about the chlorine in the pools too... I tend to worry too much for things I can't help.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

As long as she's not ingesting the chlorinated water, I wouldn't worry too much. When I was a teenager, our next door neighbor, who had custody of her two granddaughers, worked at a hotel. She use to to take her two granddaughters, and me as the babysitter, to the pool at the hotel all the time. We never had any problems from the chlorine.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

I take DD (3) swimming 3-4 times a week for an hour or so at a time (she's a fish). As long as you are showering the chlorine off of her when you get out and applying lotion her skin should be fine. I have never worried about the smell of the chlorine.

I'd go as often as I wanted to go. Perhaps it's because I grew up in Florida, but for safety reasons, I have been more attuned to the balance between removing the fear of water and making it too attractive. In addition to trying to teach somekicking skills, my son's 2-3yr old classes have focused on acclimation and in teaching the kids not to go in without yelling "mom/dad, are you ready?" And how to climb out once they're in. The chlorine just gets washed off.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I would go as often as you want. Just rinse when done. BTW, how warm is the water, and where is it? I really need to get back to focusing on swimming.

I would go as often as we could. As for the chlorine, we just do our best to shower right after to make sure there is no residue on the skin. Some moms I know who have kids sensitive to chlorine use a barier lotion before entering the pool (Gloves in a bottle).

Maybe you can look for a pool that uses salt water treatment instead of chlorine. But I think those are hard to come by as far as public pools are concerned.

For what it's worth, my DS is sensitive to a lot of stuff but has never had a reaction to chlorine.

I would go often too, 3-5 times a week, more if she or you wanted to.

I agree with the others. I think it's safe to take her in as often as you want to go. Just shower off afterward. Plenty of kids swim 5x a week or more with no effects from the chlorine (although I know how you feel -- the idea of bathing in chemicals is yucky -- but I try not to think about it too much). Indoor pools do smell a lot stronger than outdoor because of the trapped air... it can be hard to get used to. But the actual chlorine levels are probably ok.
    How great that Maiya loves the water so much!
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by dunegirl View Post
    I would go often too, 3-5 times a week, more if she or you wanted to.
    If I could afford I'd have my kids do this too!

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Not sure about countering the effects of chlorine but I would aim for 1 or 2 a week for 30-40 min. If you can make it 3 times for an hour, then great, but I think if it is a regular thing (like 1-2 x week) she will get used to it really well over the next 6 months.

I worry about the chlorine in the pools too... I tend to worry too much for things I can't help.
    Glad I'm not the only one to worry too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
    I take DD (3) swimming 3-4 times a week for an hour or so at a time (she's a fish). As long as you are showering the chlorine off of her when you get out and applying lotion her skin should be fine. I have never worried about the smell of the chlorine.
    Oh, lotion! I definitely need to start packing that. I am so dry, and she is getting there, too. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    I'd go as often as I wanted to go. Perhaps it's because I grew up in Florida, but for safety reasons, I have been more attuned to the balance between removing the fear of water and making it too attractive. In addition to trying to teach somekicking skills, my son's 2-3yr old classes have focused on acclimation and in teaching the kids not to go in without yelling "mom/dad, are you ready?" And how to climb out once they're in. The chlorine just gets washed off.
    Yes, I am very concerned with making it "too attractive", too. At this point, she loves it, but is SO cautious, that I'm not too worried, but it is at the back of my head. I mean, so far she's only been in the kiddie pool, she's too scared to go in the big pool! The yelling before going in is a GREAT idea. Today, for the first time ever, she went in without me. I had never thought to teach her to say something first, but I will now. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    I would go as often as we could. As for the chlorine, we just do our best to shower right after to make sure there is no residue on the skin. Some moms I know who have kids sensitive to chlorine use a barier lotion before entering the pool (Gloves in a bottle).

Maybe you can look for a pool that uses salt water treatment instead of chlorine. But I think those are hard to come by as far as public pools are concerned.

For what it's worth, my DS is sensitive to a lot of stuff but has never had a reaction to chlorine.
    I would love salt water!! But since it's winter, and I'm a total wimp, it needs to be indoors, and there is only one indoor pool in this whole area that I've found that we can use. So, this pool it is!

So far, neither of us has had any reactions, we're just starting to get pretty dry skin...

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    I agree with the others. I think it's safe to take her in as often as you want to go. Just shower off afterward. Plenty of kids swim 5x a week or more with no effects from the chlorine (although I know how you feel -- the idea of bathing in chemicals is yucky -- but I try not to think about it too much). Indoor pools do smell a lot stronger than outdoor because of the trapped air... it can be hard to get used to. But the actual chlorine levels are probably ok.
    How great that Maiya loves the water so much!
    Oh man, does she love it!! But she's also very scared. Which is good, really, but I want to get her a little more comfortable before going to Hawaii... She's TERRIFIED of waves, and we'll be staying right on the ocean... Hah. So trying to get her a bit... more adventurous. And I hope that, as she gets more comfortable, I'll be able to teach her how to keep herself safe, without scaring her more!

But yes, despite being so cautious, she loves it. We had to leave because swim time was over, and before we were even out of the pool, she started asking if she could go home and get in the bath... She's not QUITE a fish, but maybe a turtle...??

And just because I like pictures way too much... Here is my "so brave" little turtle, after going in the water without me for the first time EVER. Being able to have her legs up with her hands down, and her head so close to the water, is a new skill, too!

Last edited by Krystal5; 01-24-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Krystal,
    My daughter is also 2 1/2 and we're also going to Hawaii (this spring).
    Anyway, we do the parent-tot lessons 2-3 times a week, for 30 minutes at a time. She loves it. Last year when we were in Hawaii, she got timid with the waves and being in the water if it's not super calm - this is why I got her into swimming lessons.

The pool we go to is also indoor, heated and has a strong chlorine smell. We take a warm shower immediately after the class and I give her a bath when we get home.
    I use mild shampoo/bodywash on her hair and body (Aveeno) and use an organic detangler/conditioner. I moisturize with Cetaphil 2x a day. I think it works well since we've never had any hair or skin issues.

Good luck!
    If you can give your child only one gift, let it be enthusiasm - Bruce Barton

Quote Originally Posted by OhBaby View Post
    Krystal,
    My daughter is also 2 1/2 and we're also going to Hawaii (this spring).
    Anyway, we do the parent-tot lessons 2-3 times a week, for 30 minutes at a time. She loves it. Last year when we were in Hawaii, she got timid with the waves and being in the water if it's not super calm - this is why I got her into swimming lessons.

The pool we go to is also indoor, heated and has a strong chlorine smell. We take a warm shower immediately after the class and I give her a bath when we get home.
    I use mild shampoo/bodywash on her hair and body (Aveeno) and use an organic detangler/conditioner. I moisturize with Cetaphil 2x a day. I think it works well since we've never had any hair or skin issues.

Good luck!
    Oh this is her, exactly!! She gets very timid if the water isn't perfectly calm. She's not even ready for swim lessons, though today, while watching the older kids getting their swim lessons, she, for the first time ever, said she might be ready to try them. Then instantly changed her mind!! She has a long way to go before she wants to do anything more than play with her babies in the water, just like a bathtub. There is no swimming involved with our swimming, yet! But I'm pushing a little bit every time and already I'm seeing a huge improvement. Maybe in a few months, I can sign her up for a swimming class that will do some good!

She's never been to Hawaii before, but she's been to the ocean here and doesn't like to get near the waves. Even at the lake, she is fine in the water, until a boat comes by. Then she panics and runs to me before the waves even get to us... And they're only like 2 inches high, anyway!

Yes, we have a long way to go...

And thanks for the soap and lotion ideas!

Have fun in Hawaii!

I love the picture! So cute!! That looks like a great indoor pool that has a kiddie pool in it! Our local "winter" pool doesn't even have a shallow end. Noe doesn't mind but it would be great to be able to let her splash around without worry.
    By the way, the way Maiya is in the pool -- balancing on her hands with her feet out -- was Noe's first step to dog paddling and putting her face under. She started "swimming" like that, then kicking, and it really helped her feel more at home in the water.

i love the pic too so cute!! i am a FL girl too so growing up going to the pool/beach everyday i think you should go as much as you want. on another note i see you said she NEVER puts her head underwater. i would try to focus on teaching her to go underwater as well because with the waves its bound to happen she might slip and a wave could go right over her and if she has some experience with water on top of her/ holding her breath it might be less "traumatic" (the waves i mean) Kuddos to ou for taking her swimming im about to go myself in WA!

For me, I wouldn't take DD swimming more than twice a week. I don't enjoy the changing room/showers routine, I honesty don't think I'VE taken her swimming in an indoor pool more than once a week. When DD was 2, we went swimming once a week. When she turned 3, she started lessons (summer time: every day for 2 weeks, we'd do that a few weeks in the summer. Winter: lessons twice a week, indoor pool, lasted a couple months.) I enjoy sitting and watching her take lessons! and I do like swimming with her too! I also love going as a family and sitting in the hot tub while Dh wades with her;)
    To answer your question, 3 times a week is fine in my eyes if you're up to it! She'll probably be a strong swimmer before you know it! Which is great!

I love the picture! So cute!! That looks like a great indoor pool that has a kiddie pool in it! Our local "winter" pool doesn't even have a shallow end. Noe doesn't mind but it would be great to be able to let her splash around without worry.
    By the way, the way Maiya is in the pool -- balancing on her hands with her feet out -- was Noe's first step to dog paddling and putting her face under. She started "swimming" like that, then kicking, and it really helped her feel more at home in the water.
    Thanks! Yes, it's really a great place. No bells and whistles, like slides or fountains, which is why it's perfect- those just scare Maiya!

Come on out here and go swimming with us.

Oh, that's exciting news! I think Maiya still has a LONG way to go- she doesn't even like blowing ON the water, let alone blowing bubbles in it. And she doesn't like riding on me while I swim... Though if it's deep, she does like me to carry her out to the deep end. Strange child! But hopefully it works for Maiya the way it did for Noe, and it isn't too too TOO long until she's on to the next step...

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_Laraine View Post
    i love the pic too so cute!! i am a FL girl too so growing up going to the pool/beach everyday i think you should go as much as you want. on another note i see you said she NEVER puts her head underwater. i would try to focus on teaching her to go underwater as well because with the waves its bound to happen she might slip and a wave could go right over her and if she has some experience with water on top of her/ holding her breath it might be less "traumatic" (the waves i mean) Kuddos to ou for taking her swimming im about to go myself in WA!
    Aw, thank you!

Yes, I am trying really hard. Have been forever- even just for washing her hair, she freaks! She does NOT like water near her head. We've been working on it a long time... I'm trying to get more people to join us swimming, hopefully peer pressure works. ;)

And yes... She was doing much better last summer, until we were at the beach and she got splashed with a wave. Not even knocked over or going under water... Just splashed up her back. And she's been way more cautious around water ever since! So I definitely want to try to prepare her for that this time. Though we're also going to more "coves" than real beaches, so hopefully it won't be too bad...

Enjoy swimming!!

Quote Originally Posted by futuresoccermom View Post
    For me, I wouldn't take DD swimming more than twice a week. I don't enjoy the changing room/showers routine, I honesty don't think I'VE taken her swimming in an indoor pool more than once a week. When DD was 2, we went swimming once a week. When she turned 3, she started lessons (summer time: every day for 2 weeks, we'd do that a few weeks in the summer. Winter: lessons twice a week, indoor pool, lasted a couple months.) I enjoy sitting and watching her take lessons! and I do like swimming with her too! I also love going as a family and sitting in the hot tub while Dh wades with her;)
    To answer your question, 3 times a week is fine in my eyes if you're up to it! She'll probably be a strong swimmer before you know it! Which is great!
    So far, we've only achieved about once a week, which is what it will probably end up being. But hopefully we'll get more!

Oddly enough, I really like the shower routine. This may sound a bit odd... But we're the ONLY kids that have ever been there, everyone else is adults. No one there has any qualms about being naked, and I think that is REALLY good for her. Plus, they ONLY have showers, so I have to wash her hair with the shower sprayer, which she FLIPS out over at home, but there, she sees others doing it, and knows it's the only option and she has to to go swimming... So I think that, too, will help her to get a little more used to having water on her head. Hopefully!

I agree with the others that 3 times a week is just fine

Not to add another worry, but when we took Olivia to Hawaii when she was just over 2, the water wasn't our issue. Well, the waves were a little, but it was mostly the sand! She didn't like the feel and her feet being "dirty." I am not sure exactly how to do it (maybe sand from Home Depot in a foot tub?) but if she isn't used to it you might want to get her prepared for that as well. We had to carry Olivia on and off of the towels, and she would freak if she accidentally stepped down in the sand. By the end of the week she would go on it with her shoes on, but I wished she would have been more willing to walk and play in it all week long!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Noe & I will totally come swimming with you! Watching other kids really does help. Noe is a lot more likely to want to put her head under when she's swimming with an older friend who does it.

Quote Originally Posted by preciousnd98 View Post
    I agree with the others that 3 times a week is just fine

Not to add another worry, but when we took Olivia to Hawaii when she was just over 2, the water wasn't our issue. Well, the waves were a little, but it was mostly the sand! She didn't like the feel and her feet being "dirty." I am not sure exactly how to do it (maybe sand from Home Depot in a foot tub?) but if she isn't used to it you might want to get her prepared for that as well. We had to carry Olivia on and off of the towels, and she would freak if she accidentally stepped down in the sand. By the end of the week she would go on it with her shoes on, but I wished she would have been more willing to walk and play in it all week long!
    Thank you! And thanks for the extra head's up. She should be fine with sand, though. She's an outdoor girl and has been in sand a TON (beaches, parks). And dirt. And mud. And gravel... But thanks for the thought!

Noe & I will totally come swimming with you! Watching other kids really does help. Noe is a lot more likely to want to put her head under when she's swimming with an older friend who does it.
    Excellent!! It's only M - F, 11:30 - 1:30. If you can make it, though, we would LOVE you to join us! We can get L there, too, and have a big APA swim meet.