Thread: Wwyd?

Default Wwyd?

Ok I'm in the process of finding a daycare for my LO due in May. I work at a children's hospital so we do have a day care on campus ... The cost is over what we could truly afford, 900/month. My rent is less than that! I figure I'm not going to find a daycare for infants that is much cheaper, or more convenient. What could be more convenient then right next to the ER if god forbid anything happened? My room mate doesn't work, she has a 6mo and she offered to watch the baby for more than half of what the day care is charging.

So would you...

Go with the friend you KNOW for less convenience and less money or

would you go with the day care where you don't know who is exactly watching your kid, while you pay entire paychecks worth of tuition, but with the convenience of being close by?

For me, it would come down to how much you trust the roomie to take good care of your child, while at the same time, taking care of her own LO. A ratio of 1 adult to 2 babies is pretty good, likely better than you'd find at the daycare.

Why is it less convenient for your roommate to watch baby? Also, I agree with Suja that if you trust your friend, that is a good ratio and personally I would always choose trusted family or friend over daycare.

Less convenient because she is further away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by christianaaa View Post
    Less convenient because she is further away from me.
    But also more convenient because you don't have to wake her up, get her dressed, drop her off, pick her up, etc.

I'm a little confused. This is not a current roommate? I was thinking she lived with you so would be more convienent.

It would come down to how well you know and trust the friend. I would probably go with the friend if she didn't live too far away from work and home.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    But also more convenient because you don't have to wake her up, get her dressed, drop her off, pick her up, etc.
    oh sorry, that may have been a little confusing - we are moving back to my parents the end of the month (to save some money), and will be moving again in September (to our own house). She is my room mate right now.
    DD 05/14/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Why is it less convenient for your roommate to watch baby? Also, I agree with Suja that if you trust your friend, that is a good ratio and personally I would always choose trusted family or friend over daycare.
    I agree. Does she not currently live with you?

If you trust her, I would go with the room mate. Unless the cost of driving to and from would offset the other daycare.

I also think my preference be family or friend but I would really have to know her and her parenting extremely well to leave my baby with a friend. Just b/c somebody has a baby doesn't mean they are cut out to care for somebody else's child. Do you like her style, feel confident that she would carry out your instructions, keep the house safe,etc. If you feel great about her, then I would try it.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    I also think my preference be family or friend but I would really have to know her and her parenting extremely well to leave my baby with a friend. Just b/c somebody has a baby doesn't mean they are cut out to care for somebody else's child. Do you like her style, feel confident that she would carry out your instructions, keep the house safe,etc. If you feel great about her, then I would try it.
    These are very important questions. If you trust her and like her, I would choose her over the daycare with no doubt, not a shadow of doubt. Daycares are great for older children, 3+ yo, but for little babies I would always choose a nanny if affordable. Daycare babies tend to get sick so often that you might lose all vacation days; daycares have a lot of rules - premake the bottles, provide this, provide that. You have to make bags every day. A nanny can take care of these things, you can put your baby in PJs, and drop the baby at the nanny; you can leave clothes at her house and she can wash them so you don't have to prepare clothes; she can cook once the baby starts solids versus you making dinner and lunch the night before.

Heck, if I were working full time and if I could afford it I would have a nanny and send my kids to preschool 2-3 mornings a week, have her pick them up and drop them off.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I would say, roommate now and then later on 6 months or so, go to the hospital day care.