Thread: Quick question

Default Quick question

When you are sick do you have anyone to help you with the kids?? I usually can get through the day with a cold but, I think I caught Cody's stomach bug. I got sick a couple of hours ago. Anyways should I ask for help or wait it out?

I don't have any help in those situations but if I did have someone I could call, I would.

My husband needs to go to the store and usually the kids are pretty good so I asked if he could just take them with him. I just am trying not to be a big baby. I am just so tired and sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I don't have any help in those situations but if I did have someone I could call, I would.
    Thanks for your input.

I live next door to my inlaws, so they are very helpful in situations like that. Dh has the option to work from home at times, and he helps as well.

I would get help if you can. You will get better faster if you rest and the less contact you have with the kids the less likely you are to give it to them, if they haven't had it first. Hope you feel better!
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

i get no help when sick. My ILs are very afraid of getting sick and will not come near us if anyone is sick. i have no other family to call on

my parents help and dh can sometimes work from home. i would get help if i could, although the stomach bug is highly contagious so it is guaranteed that whoever helps will get it too.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Get help if you can! With a stomach virus, pick someone who lives in the house anyway because they will probably get it too.

Thanks all! James ended up taking the kids over to his parent's house with him. I got some rest.

We have no help available at all, unless our nanny is available for extra time. But I don't consider asking my husband to take my son for an hour or two to be extra help. (I do feel bad about asking him sometimes, especially if it's something like the shopping which is typically one of my chores, but if I'm sick, I'm sick.)

I hope that you do feel better. The norovirus is supposedly pretty bad this yr along with the flu so it seems like we're all bound to get hit with something right now.

I have never really been sick enough to need help but if I had to I would ask DH or my mom to take a sick day from work. The one time I WAS sick enough it was a stomach virus and I was pregnant with DD3. DH happened to be off the whole week but if he wasn't there was NO WAY I could have taken care of the kids. No way. Even if they watched TV all day I still couldn't have done it.

Feel better!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Not typically. The exception is strep. Strep makes me so sick that I literally can't get out of bed. I've only had it 4 times in the 14 years we've been married. The first 2 times I went to the dr that day and got antibiotic shots so I would get better faster, but dh had to take me to the doctor and stay with me. The last 2 times he took off 2 days the first time and took my youngest to daycare and the younger kids stayed in after school care for a third day. So he took off a Friday and a Monday. This last time the kids were out of school, so the oldest kids had to take care of everyone until dh got home. For a stomach virus though, I'm on my own. I rarely get sick though with anything but a cold, but most of the time I still have to do everything I'd do if I weren't sick. If I could get help though, I definitely would.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

When I had horrid morning sickness my family helped some. Either my mom, brother or SIL. When I have a cold, I get no help. Infact my DH has the horrid man cold and I'm going to go crazy if he doesnt grow up and stop acting like a baby. I have no sympathy for him because I get nothing when I feel horrible.

I have had to tough it out before, but I have also had help at times. My MIL is a great help and she has taken Olivia for me overnight so I could recover. This past week, both DH and I were sick but he was way worse of than me. Unfortunately MIL hurt her shoulder so she was not able to help so I was on my own with them. But a couple weeks ago I had a day where my cold first came on (it is lingering now and we had stomach thing on top of it) and DH was able to take a day off and help out. I will definitely take help when I am sick if it is available to me!

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I am glad you got some rest. At DS2's first birthday party (Feb 2011) someone brought a horrendous stomach virus (from the description it sounds exactly like the norovirus) and the whole house was hit so hard. I rarely catch stomach bugs but that one just killed us. DH was sick for 3 days, I was sick for only one and took care of everyone but my mom still helped. My parents got sick too. It was so bad. I hope you feel better soon. Not fun at all.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

My mom lives with us, so she helps out a ton if it's the weekend or after work. But during the day, no, I don't have help. I can ask my DH for help-- he works from home 90% of the time and always tries to act like if I need help all I have to do is let him know-- but it still doesn't happen. Last time I tried asking him he said "of course I'll play with Emme, you need to rest!", and then he proceeded to leave 5 minutes later to go on a run

My parents are the only people I feel comfortable handing DD off when I am sick, so yes I do have someone! And I took advantage of that two weeks ago when I was so SO sick with the Norwalk Virus, and needed to spend 3 days puking/sleeping/running to the bathroom. Unfortunately, in helping me, both of my parents caught it as well. I think that's why I only feel comfortable using family when there's an illness... keep it in the family! I wouldn't feel right asking anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiB View Post
    When I had horrid morning sickness my family helped some. Either my mom, brother or SIL. When I have a cold, I get no help. Infact my DH has the horrid man cold and I'm going to go crazy if he doesnt grow up and stop acting like a baby. I have no sympathy for him because I get nothing when I feel horrible.
    this... except for the morning sickness part, i never actually puked when pg and never got help when i was extremely exhausted from it either.

I can call my mother if I'm need thank God. If you have someone to call you should. Better safe then sorry!

Blog Entries

If you have someone to call, do it so you can get some rest. My parents live 45 min away but they are retired and help when they can. This summer when both DH and I (and our oldest) were down with a stomach bug I reluctantly called my dad to see if he'd come take Ali out for the afternoon. He did and it was a huge help. Feel better soon!

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

I usually don't ask for help. I don't want anyone else to get sick.

The stomach bug that's going around here is terrible and lasts a few days. If I get it, I'm going to be a huge baby and have someone help out. My husband stays home though, so it's usually not an issue.
    Me 38, DH 38, DS 5/28/08, DS 7/6/10

Dh stays home when I am sick. His sick days count for family too and he is rarely sick. I feel guilty asking though, so I have to be pretty sick. It's also tricky cause I don't want him staying home and getting sick!

Once DH and I both went down (after DD gave us the most agonizing sickness) to the point of not being able to move around, horrible stomach bug. My mom who lives 45 minutes away came and picked her up until we felt better, 1 or 2 nights. Then she of course got violently sick and called DD typhoid Mary for months. but she still says she needed to do it because we were so sick we couldn't take care of her. Now that I think about it... called SIL when I had a horrible migraine once and needed to lay down. She is a nurse so is home different days of the week. Really appreciating my support system now.
    Married 7/10/04.