Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you/your child feel about a watermelon cake at party?

Default How would you/your child feel about a watermelon cake at party?

We have a bunch of dietary restrictions (no gluten, no dairy and our Dr also wants to eliminate all sugar - small amounts of raw honey are ok). I recently saw a blog about watermelon cakes (http://engine2diet.com/the-daily-bee...and-a-contest/) that are absolutely adorable and my kids would inhale them. As soon as I saw the blog, my first thought was - we will have watermelon cakes for our kids' birthdays (they are in late May). DH thinks that all guests will hate it - no matter how cute it is.

What say you?

My kids loooooove watermelon and I am sure they would be fine with whatever "cake" was served at a party they were attending.

What a fun idea!

ETA: I just showed my girls the pics and they were like "omg can I have that for my birthday??!?!?"
    Last edited by macksmom; 01-17-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

My kid's 3. He loves watermelon and wouldn't care one iota about the cake. I mean, he LOVES frosting so he might miss it a tad, but my guess is that he wouldn't notice it. He's eat other stuff and play, which is the point.

I think that some of those look very nice. Anyway, your guests probably know already that your family keeps to a strict diet so they won't be surprised, right? They'll be happy with whatever. (And imo, the watermelon is a much better option than serving something like a sugar-free tofu cake to your guests which is what a neighbor did for their 1-year old's party. One should assume that there's a limited desire to eat that and it feels forced on your guests to partake.)

Olivia saw the pictures and asked for the one with hearts on it - I think you would be totally fine serving that in place of a regular cake.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Most kids like watermelon. If they don't, too bad. It's your party - serve what you like! And they're gorgeous! My 3 year old would love it.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

I would love it but we are on sugar and dye restrictions too so for us that would be a blessing. I will definitely use it for DS1 birthday in April and might consider it for DS2 bday which is coming up soon. Not sure if there are watermelons out there right now and if they are nice and juicy. I have to go online and look for some cute ideas with available fruit. I am grateful I have never been served sugar free tofu cake..... it sounds terrible.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    I am grateful I have never been served sugar free tofu cake..... it sounds terrible.
    Me too

Super cute. My oldest DD would love it!

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

My oldest wouldn't eat it because he doesn't like watermelon. Of course something so novel and interesting, I'm sure he'd try it. My youngest would devour it.
    Last edited by Dreya; 01-17-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

i say do it. and if guests complain... theres the door! haha lol
    i would love to see watermelon cake for a b-day party...

I think that is so cool! My kid would love it, 'cause he loves fruit!
    Candice, 28, STC 7+ years

Looks yummy and I would rather have that too than some other "fake cake" (sugar free tofu kind).

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

My boys would choose watermelon over cake any day!

Honestly, my son would probably wonder where the "real" cake was because he's used to that at parties, but if I knew that there wouldn't be a regular cake ahead of time, I'd let him know and he'd be totally fine with it. He loves watermelon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post
    Honestly, my son would probably wonder where the "real" cake was because he's used to that at parties, but if I knew that there wouldn't be a regular cake ahead of time, I'd let him know and he'd be totally fine with it. He loves watermelon, too.
    That's a good idea to let the parents know ahead of time so that there are no upsets when the cake is missing.

Always best to manage expectations when possible.

And btw, I totally want to make a watermelon cake. Yum!

I think it's a great idea! I wouldn't worry about what your guests will want- they can eat it or not! Lol

I would love it as we actually have to avoid the cake served at parties usually

I think that would be pretty great for a summer Bday

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)

Quote Originally Posted by pepperlru View Post
    most kids like watermelon. If they don't, too bad. It's your party - serve what you like! And they're gorgeous! My 3 year old would love it.
    ita

That's a great idea! Mira says she'll pick it up and eat it ALL.

That watermelon "cake" looks and sounds absolutely delightful and delicious.

Mine would eat it up! And I would prefer it over something with weird artificial ingredients.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

My 4 year old would LOVE it! He's not a huge cake fan in general but the kid LOVES watermelon.

I have odd children who don't want anything to do with watermelon. I think it looks neat, tho!
    My 3 yo cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn08 View Post
    I have odd children who don't want anything to do with watermelon. I think it looks neat, tho!
    My son wouldn't like it either its been a battle in general to get him to eat veggies and fruits. I would like the watermelon for my own party.

IMO- I wanted to add I feel like a child should have what the want (within reason) when it comes to THEIR party. If children love watermelons I wouldn't really care what the guests like or don't like. Its a party for children.

It's adorable! But I wouldn't go near it, as I avoid all melon ;) don't see any problem serving it at a birthday party. Parents around here would love it and I don't think kids would care at all.
    Married 7/10/04.

I say yum! Everyone here would love it except DH. He's the only person I've ever met who doesn't like watermelon.

My son LOVES watermelon, and all fruit in general. He would be completely happy with that. As a parent I love the idea, kids don't need the extra sugar.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6