Thread: Cloth Questions

Default Cloth Questions

Hi! I'm going to try and make this brief. I cd'd part-time with ds3 after he turned 1 and I'm planning on doing it full-time with our new baby. So my stash includes some dreameze- which I don't like because they need a cover and about 8 Kawaii pocket velcro diapers- which I really like and the price was good!! I'm planning on building my stash and registering for cloth.

Questions:

1. What are your favorite diapers, why?, and where do you buy them?

2. I'm clueless when it comes to washing and the rules, wet vs. dry pails, etc. (I used JR Watkins powder soap last time, but would like I know what you recommend.

3. I heard you can't wash bamboo or natural fibers with reg? What diapers would be compatible with my Kawaii's so I don't have to separate the wash?

4. Anything else you think I need to know. I'm such a rookie, I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance everyone!!!
    Last edited by Brandles; 01-14-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    Me- Brandy (34) DH- Eric (36), DS- Danny (16), DS- Dylan (13), DS- Landon (3)
    10/2001 4 weeks, 9/2008 5 weeks, 3/2012 10 weeks

I'm nowhere near an expert since I've only been doing this 2 months, but I'll give you my answers.

1) I like pockets the best so far. I have a couple AIOs and I don't like them because the soakers bunch up and the wet material can rub against the skin. Maybe I would like an AIO that is all sewn together? IDK. I haven't tried fitteds or prefolds, so I can't help there. But I think I will always stick with pockets. Most of my stash is Alva Baby diapers, which are cheapies from China ($5-8 per diaper). They work just fine, hold in baby messes great. Can't beat the price, but you do get what you pay for as far as quality (the prints are so cute too!). I have a few bumGenius diapers which I really like, so I'm going to slowly add in more of those to my stash as funds allow.

2) Everyone's washing routine is unique, just have to figure out what works for you. I do a cold wash cycle with no detergent (so I guess basically 2 cold rinses), then a hot wash with Purex Free and Clear (1/4 the amount it says on the bottle), then a cold rinse. I hang all the shells and only the stained inserts out in the sun (AMAZING for fading the stains), and dry the non-stained inserts in the dryer. I use a wet bag from Planet Wise to store dirty diapers.

3) Clueless about natural fibers, since I've never tried them.

4) Just go for it! You've already done it a bit, so you know how easy it can be. I was really scared to do it at first, but I'm so glad I started. I love it! And don't feel like you have to do it 100%. DD is always in disposables at night (I've read about people having rashes or stink issues when used at night, and I just don't want to risk that), and there are are some days that I honestly don't want to deal with them (like it's really any harder, I know ), so I just have her in disposables that day. I'd say we're in cloth about 75% of the time, which is a win to me and saves money. Good luck! These ladies are very knowledgeable about cloth, so I'm sure they can answer any questions you have.
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

Blog Entries

You do not need to separate naturals and microfiber. You can safely wash them all together. The longer you use cloth the more you will figure out what you like and what works for your baby.

I used pockets until my kids got older and then switched to fitted diapers with covers. Both of my kids were big wetters and eventually the pockets were maxed stuffed and they still leaked every time. Some kids are fine with pockets/AIO's the whole time they are in diapers.

The basic wash routine is Cold rinse/Prewash no soap, hot wash with soap, two rinses. Depending on your water, your detergent and your washing machine that can vary. At the condo where we had very hot water and coin laundry we just did a hot wash and one rinse and things were fine. That doesn't work quite as well where we are living now but the basic wash routine works just fine. I also only use natural fibers now and those wash very well. Microfiber can really hold onto pee (which makes sense since it locks liquid in a water loving core surrounded by a water hating surface) and you can get stink and rashes from that.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I like Sunbabys (more china cheapies pockets) these are easy for dad and daycare to use. I LOVE Rockin Rumps and will be adding more of those to my stash as I can

I wash all together, I use bamboo and microfiber and have had no issues, I also have a front loader which can be more difficult to wash in but I have made it work just fine.

I like the Fuzzibunz hanging diaper pail, I just do a dry pail, dump the poo and just remove the inserts from the pockets and straight into the pail they go. Their pail is nice because it has a zipper at the bottom, so I can just unzip and dump directly into the washer.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

I use pockets, mainly bumGenius, with a few Fuzzibunz. I love the BG's, the FB's are not my favorite, but they're ok. I ordered them from a couple different websites, but I liked Mom's Milk Boutique the best. There is only one place on the island that sells them and they are very expensive there.

After use, the dirty diapers (and home made cloth wipes) go into the wetbag, dry, (also made myself) until they're washed. I wash every other day. I pull out the inserts before they go in the washing machine. My wash routine is cold rinse, hot wash with Rockin' Green detergent and then two rinses. After that I hang everything outside in the sun to dry. It's so easy, I love my cloth diapers!
    Jennifer

Wow!!! Thanks for all the great information ladies!!! I'm so excited to get started!!

One last question- I'm thinking I'm going to go with pockets again (not sure what brand), I don't mind the stuffing. Do you prefer aplix or snaps? I have a couple snaps now, but more aplix... I'm thinking I like the snaps the best.
    Me- Brandy (34) DH- Eric (36), DS- Danny (16), DS- Dylan (13), DS- Landon (3)
    10/2001 4 weeks, 9/2008 5 weeks, 3/2012 10 weeks

I like snaps, I have not CD in the newborn stage before though and I hear aplix is better for that for fit but I HATE my few aplix dipes I have and am considering getting them converted to snaps.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

I just started about 5 weeks ago with my 18 month old DD. So far I am loving the Thirsties duo AIO stuffed with a hemp in their 'unique tunnel', Thirsties pockets, BG Freetime AIO with a booster, too and BG Pockets. Oh wait, also loving my Charlie Banana pockets and Happy Heiny pockets. DD is a heavy wetter so I can stuff it nicely without leaks.

I send the Thirsties AIO with Aplix to daycare to make it easier on her. And DH is ok with snaps so the we are at 50/50 on aplix and snaps.

Pail I have Planet Wise for daycare and a PW hanging one for home. The hanging one can hold the 2 days worth and the one for daycare easily holds a days worth.

I am no expert, but I'm loving it so much!
    Phoebe Grace 6-22-11; 37.5" and 26.2# at 2 years old! She is my wild child!
    Me & Geoff, 40; DD Phoebe, our June Bug

Blog Entries

I converted all my aplix to snaps. The applix quickly becomes destroyed with frequent use (and I do not have a big stash so every diaper was used within a two day period).
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Everyone says to go with snaps over aplix. Snaps take longer to get on than aplix and you have to figure out which snaps to put it on for the right fit, whereas aplix seems more easily adjustable. But I hear a lot about aplix going "bad" after a while, and then I hear that babies figure out how to take their diapers with aplix off, whereas they can't get the snaps off. I'd rather take slightly longer to get the snaps on than risk either of those things!
    Kyli (26) DH (29) Liam (5/13/09) Evette (10/18/12)

Defintely snaps! The aplix wears out over time and you'd have to replace it, but the snaps will not. All of mine have snaps!
    Jennifer