Thread: question...since this room gets the most traffic...

Default question...since this room gets the most traffic...

I am 15 weeks pregnant right now(well tomorrow), we are going to Belize in March and I will be 25 weeks pregnant at that time. My OB OKd going, and said to have a fantastic time...just wondering...have any of you traveled to a country like Belize when pregnant?

Do you think I can go snorkeling? I know that there is a lot that I can't do...the obvious...

Just wondering any suggestions/tips/thoughts...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

i don't know about traveling to Belize....but i traveled on a 4 hour plane ride cross country to be at the beach for 2 weeks when i was 35 weeks pregnant. I don't know about the snorkeling as I was so far along that really all I wanted to do was lay there and relax It was a blast. Have a good time!!!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I went to Jamaica and we went snorkeling quite a bit when I was 26 weeks along with Keira. It was great fun!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I lived in Hawaii during my first two pregnancies so I went snorkeling throughout. Have fun!

I am not sure but you could call and ask to double check. Have a great time though!

I live in Hawaii, and flew to Boston and back twice during my pregnancy. Once at 12 weeks, and again at 26 weeks and returned home to HI at 28 weeks. It's 14hours of flying each way. I know its not another country obviously, but it was a very long flight, and baby and I were both fine. So long as your doctor says its ok, snorkling and anything else is fine. Just don't over do it, but have so much fun!
    Jennifer

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I went to Costa Rica during my first pregnancy, and then to Fiji during my pregnancy with the twins, both during the second trimester. I snorkeled but did not scuba dive. I did not ride motorcycles. Per my perinatologist's recommendation, I took a baby aspirin during the long plane trips on the Fiji journey. I hung out a lot in the hammock. I stayed at lower elevations than I would otherwise. I had a wonderful time, and it was the last unemcumered foreign travel I had since I had children. Check with your OB, and go for it!

You might want to check the guidance for vaccinations for Belize - and then run these across your doctor. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinat...e.htm#vaccines

The advisory also says that Belize water can be a concern and a cause of several health issues. So watch what you drink, eating anything fresh that's washed in it (like salads), and pass on ice cubes - unless you're at a resort that swears that it uses only water filtered on site (including the kitchen). Ugh...wasn't pregnant at the time, but even being careful, I forgot about the ice cubes on a trip to Egypt and...

Oh, and if you haven't flown while pregnant, you might want to be Afrin with you on the plane. Nasal tissues swell during pregnancy and the addition of the changes in pressure as the plane makes its adjustments can be killer. I traveled through much of my second trimester and my lord that was painful til i figured out what was up and what to do.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 01-15-2013 at 10:36 PM.

thank you for all that info. I called our travel clinic at my clinic as my OB really had no idea what to suggest for traveling to Belize...it shows on there in rural areas the risk for Malaria, but I am thinking where we would be I would not need to worry about that.

I am fine with my HepA and B and I cannot get an MMR anyway even though I do know that I am only partially immune to mumps I am immune to rubella and measles so I think i will be OK.

I got a flu shot this year as well...

and I did nto plan on drinking the water or any of that awesome stuff either. I know that the resort we are staying at is owned by and runned by Americans so it might be filtered water in their kitchen, but I will stear clear of fresh everything and ice cubes which is depressing because a fruity iced drink might be fun while we are there.

Oh well I am excited!

thanks so much ladies, you are all so helpful!
    Quote Originally Posted by ibisgirldc View Post
    You might want to check the guidance for vaccinations for Belize - and then run these across your doctor. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinat...e.htm#vaccines

The advisory also says that Belize water can be a concern and a cause of several health issues. So watch what you drink, eating anything fresh that's washed in it (like salads), and pass on ice cubes - unless you're at a resort that swears that it uses only water filtered on site (including the kitchen). Ugh...wasn't pregnant at the time, but even being careful, I forgot about the ice cubes on a trip to Egypt and...

Oh, and if you haven't flown while pregnant, you might want to be Afrin with you on the plane. Nasal tissues swell during pregnancy and the addition of the changes in pressure as the plane makes its adjustments can be killer. I traveled through much of my second trimester and my lord that was painful til i figured out what was up and what to do.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)