Thread: Toddler in hotel room

Default Toddler in hotel room

Where does your toddler sleep in a hotel room? Do you take something special? We've had her in our bed and used pillows before we went to bed. The last time she pushed the pillows out on one side, so it makes me nervous! Looking at travel bumper things and toddler air mattresses. Not sure!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have taken along bedrails when I was driving, or borrowed them, or made do with moving the bed up against the wall and pushing furniture up against the other side.

My current toddler actually semi-tolerates a pack-n-play, even though he's pretty big. We wear him out when we're on vacation, so he doesn't go into it until he's pretty much ready to crash, though. Most hotels have them in stock.

pack-n-play for 2ish and under, in bed with us/own bed 3ish and up!

So far, Nathan's always slept in a pack-n-play when we stay at a hotel. When we all travel together, we usually get two adjoining rooms, one for Erin and the kids and one for DH and I. Erin's room will have two queen beds. She'll sleep in one and Katie sleeps in the other with pillows all around the edged. When she was younger, however, we made a little bed on the floor for her with extra blankets once, and then I bought her a Zoobie Pets slumber pet with a sleeping bag. http://store.zoobies.com/p/slumber-p...to?pp=12&pp=12 She loved it! And then, as I said, Nathan sleeps in his pack-n-play. Of course, we've always driven when we've traveled with the kids. We haven't taken any trips with them in a plane.
    Last edited by LanceBabe; 01-13-2013 at 01:50 AM.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

We've done the bed but only if it's king size. Better is a room with two beds so the toddler can sleep alone, with most of the pillows and blankets stripped away. (Our concern isn't so much the bed itself, but the dangers of bedsharing...) We have also used linens from the hotel to set up a little bed on an armchair/ottoman or we've simply asked for a rollaway.

Double check the air mattresses online: I thought that several were recalled due to child deaths recently. That might be for infants, though - like those positioners, they're not safety approved for babies? Anyway, just worth a look to be certain.
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 01-13-2013 at 12:12 PM.

I guess mine classify as "preschoolers" now but they are very well traveled little boys. Here are our sleeping arrangements on our various trips.

Visiting family in Canada with DS1 6 months old - brought the pack n' play. He spent half the time in there and half the time in the big bed with me with daddy sleeping on the floor (it was just a single bed). For our brief hotel stay on the way up we got a king room and he slept in between us in the bed. The king sized bed was more than enough.

Visiting family in IL with DS1 12 months - brought the pack n' play again, didn't use the "bassinet" part, instead we put pillows in the bottom of it and he slept in there.

Vising family in Canada DSs 3 and 1 - DS 3 shared one bed with DH, DS 1 shared the other bed with me. In a hotel situation that would have been a "two queen room" with one parent and one child in each bed.

Visiting family in Canada (summer 2012) DSs 4 and 2 - DS 3 shared one bed with DH, DS 1 shared the other bed with me. In a hotel situation that would have been a "two queen room" with one parent and one child in each bed.

Visiting family in Canada (Christmas 2013) DSs 4 and 2 - We got a hotel room for the entire stay this time because my father didn't have room at his house - my sister and her fiance were over there. DSs 4 and 2 shared one queen bed, DH and I shared the other queen bed.

Note: We're a very co-sleepy family. Both the kids cosleept from newborn - 2ish. DS2 still spends half the night in my bed sometimes and DS4 crawls into bed in the wee hours usually.

For traveling with little kids if you can drive I highly suggest you drive. Flying may be faster but when you drive you can bring all your stuff. From where we live to my dad's house in Canada it's a 10-12 hour drive. On the way up we like to drive for 7 hours then stop the night in Niagra falls, then do 4 hours the following day. On the way home we usually leave in the middle of the day then drive half by night.
    Last edited by Dreya; 01-13-2013 at 06:09 AM.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Just to mention, bc I never would have thought of this, but my cousins took their 3 year old to sesame place and they got a 1 room hotel room and she slept in a pack and play. She goes to sleep at like 7 pm, so my cousins could not do anything in the room from 7-10 when they went to sleep. They couldn't watch TV or even read bc their daughter is a light sleeper. The next time they got a room with two adjoining bedrooms so they weren't sitting around doing nothing for 3 hours lol.

Before DS, DD slept with us in king size beds or one of us if it were two queens. Now if it is a king size bed we ask for something for DD and DS sleeps with us. We almost always stay at a hotel where my mom works though (don't travel much beyond going back to our home state) so I have no problem getting a little mattress for her.

Our kids are more heavy sleepers so we were able to have a light on and read our kindles, and DH laid on the floor on the other side of our bed and played with his laptop a bunch too.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

Well, Target sells this little cot made for toddlers. It is in the baby section, plus it folds up small for the car. It has worked great for us and she loves sleeping on her own little bed.
    I can't post a link as I'm on my iPad, but it is the Eddie Bauer travel cot and it is on the target website.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMom View Post
    Well, Target sells this little cot made for toddlers. It is in the baby section, plus it folds up small for the car. It has worked great for us and she loves sleeping on her own little bed.
    I can't post a link as I'm on my iPad, but it is the Eddie Bauer travel cot and it is on the target website.
    This is what we had. Cody hasn't slept in a hotel but, we've used this for overnights at the grandparents'. Sophia sleeps in a pack n play and if we were to go to a hotel we'd do the same.

The first time we stayed in a hotel my DD was 20 months old and still bedsharing. We got a room with a king size bed and took the chairs in the room and shoved them in the 2 foot space between the wall and the side of the bed, with the back of the chair facing the bed so it created a little wall. It was a tight fit. She slept on that side, I slept in the middle, and DH slept on the other side of me.

The next time she was 3 1/2 and had been sleeping in her own bed in our room for a few months. We got a room with 2 queen size beds, lined her bed with all the extra blankets and pillows, and she was good.

Then a few months later we were in a hotel again and this time we were able to push her queen bed against the wall (the first bed as you walk into a hotel room) and line the other side with pillows. That was the easiest and best set up out of any of them. But not all beds can be moved.... we tried that in our first hotel with the king size bed and realized the bedframe was actually bolted into the floor.

Another easy fix instead of lining the edge of the bed with pillows is to roll up extra blankets or towels (you can ask the hotel for a couple of extra blankets) into tight tubes, then place the tubes under the fitted sheet at the edge of the bed. It makes a ridge 6 or so inches high that will stay in place-- it's possible to roll over it but it's always kept my sleeper contained when we're away from home.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

We've always requested a king size bed if it's just one night and put DD between us. One lamp on doesn't bother her, and we play with our phones, iPad, laptop etc, but usually we go to bed shortly after DD even when we're home. For longer trips we've rented cribs. This summer we're renting a house at the beach and DD will sleep in a twin bed with travel rails.

We have always used a pack and play. When traveling with both boys we use ours and one from the hotel with sheets that we bring.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

Well, my toddler, who is a little older than yours, is a... "unique" sleeper. She has never ever EVER slept in a crib, so the pack and play is not at all an option for us.

When she was little, we coslept, so that's what we did when traveling. However, she got to the point where she couldn't sleep well in bed with me any more (now she won't sleep even in the same room with me, so that will be interesting while traveling..), so we had to put her in her own bed.

If possible, we would bring bed rails from home, because she is a VERY active sleeper. In fact, at home, she has bed rails, but there's also a built in head and foot to her bed (it's a futon, so they're the arm rests, and there's no gap between them and the mattress, works really well!). In the hotel, even with the bed rails, she rolled off the FOOT of the bed!! I once tried Pepperlu's idea about putting a barricade under the sheets so they won't move. I used the pillows rolled up, so it was very big, sturdy barricade... I mean seriously, we tied the pillows together with webbing and put them under the sheets, it must have been a foot high... And she rolled over them... My only guess is that the sheets worked as a ramp for her, because the pillows were bigger than the arm rest at the foot of her bed at home, and she's never rolled over that... But of course, without the sheets, she just pushes the pillow off first and then rolls off (and as far as I can tell, has NEVER landed on the pillow, she somehow always misses... Yes, she's rolled off beds a lot!! But never at home...)

SO... Now what we do, is just put her on a mattress on the floor. I usually try to put the mattress in a corner, so two sides are blocked and she can only roll off two sides. We ask if they have a roll away, and then use just the mattress, or sometimes I'll even move the mattress off the bed that's in there and put that on the floor. Then, I put pillows on the floor all around the mattress, so WHEN she rolls off, at least she won't drop the 4 - 6 inches to the floor; it's a nice, gradual incline. She'll often sleep through that and then just spend the rest of the night on the floor... I try to lay blankets down where I think she'll end up so she doesn't sleep on the filthy floor, but that's hit or miss. But she MUST be on mattress to fall asleep...

Anyway, as long as your girl isn't trying to roll marathons in her sleep, you probably don't have to worry about all that. Just thought I'd throw my experiences out there!

We have never had to do an extended hotel stay but we spend 1-2 nights in a hotel several times a year and have been since before DS turned 1. The first time we took pack-n-play with us but he was not used to it and I had hard time getting him in it anyway. So from then on we get a room with 2 full or queen size beds, I sleep with one kid and DH with the other. When DD was still nursing, she always slept with me but now they just pick where they want to sleep.

We always get a room with two beds and she will sleep alone with pillows around her until I am ready to go to bed, then I sleep with her for the night.

Thanks for all the ideas! We've put her between us a few times. It worked great the first time. Then she turns and kicks - normally dh, so I sleep fine - but that won't work. I did get 2 queen size beds. I may sleep with her. I found travel bumper things to inflate, so we'll try that. She has pushed pillows out from under covers before. I like the matress on the floor idea too! I thought about ordering the cot or kids air mattress with sides and may still later.

Anything else I need to think about taking with us? I love hearing your smart ideas!

A white noise machine! Or whatever noise she is used to sleeping with in her room now, take it with you. Hotels are so noisy, especially if you're not early risers (we aren't).