Thread: cribs with or without bumper???

Default cribs with or without bumper???

i have been told that bumpers can now be dangerous for babies... has anyone else heard of this and what is your opinion on this topic? this is my 1st baby, but i have helped out my family members when they were young and they had bumpers... please any suggestions would be great... thanks and good luck to all

No bumpers is the general rule. Babies can potentially scoot over to the bumper and smother themselves. And when older and standing the can use the bumper to help jettison themselves out of the crib.

I have gone bumperless for the last 3 children and never had a problem. Kids will sometimes stick an arm or leg out between the rails, but they can do that with the bumper as well. They do make mesh bumpers, but honestly I don't see any benefit for bumpers.

I'm not using one to start, but plan on using one later, I can't imagine a bigger baby not getting arms and legs stuck in sides.

I don't have bumpers on Benjamin's crib. He moves around quite a bit in there already and hasn't even come close to getting anything stuck. The risk far outweighs the benefits in my opinion.
    Jennifer

thanks everyone for ur input, i apppriciate it all
    i think, no bumper it is

My 2 worth...I ended up using bumpers with DD #1, because she kept getting her legs stuck in the bars. She never used them to try and climb out.
    Augusta (38), Jeff (33), and 3 rescued fur-babies Chancey the boxer mix(10), Tuck the malamute (2), and Jake the kitty who thinks he's a dog (1 year old!)

We used it with DS1 until he got old enough to start pulling himself up. We didn't use it at first with DS2 but once he was old enough to move around he would CONSTANTLY get a leg stuck and wake up screaming in pain. I'm talking like every night and almost every nap. So we put the bumper in till he was old enough to pull himself up then we took it out and he's fine now. Generally it is recommended to not use them.
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

I had a mesh bumper with my daughter and I plan on getting another one. It helped keep her arms/legs/pacifier inside. When she got older and attempted to stand on it, it just pushed down.

I have used Breathable Bumpers with all 3 of my kids. Just this morning I found DD3 REALLY squished up against them. I can't imagine the result if they were regular bumpers I would never use them.
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

A local church offers a crib safety class and all the cutesy stuff to get for a crib nowadays is a no go. Mesh bumpers are okay but, honestly I'd safe the money and spend it on diapers.

No bumpers.
    Formerly villagespin

I use a mesh bumper because my little guy would frequenly stick his arm or leg through and get stuck which would make him mad at 3am and we'd have to go up and "rescue" him (and then make him more mad when we left him in his crib instead of picking him up). This way, he sleeps through the night and so do we. He does not pull himself up yet though and we are planning on removing it when he can do that so he can't even potentially use it to get a leg up to crawl over. It offers no cushioning against the bars and he still likes to wedge his head in the corner so obviously the hardness of the crib doesn't bother him.