Thread: Thought I was 5 and 1/2 weeks along but at the E.R Last night they told me I wasn't close to that...

HRHeeter Guest

Default Thought I was 5 and 1/2 weeks along but at the E.R Last night they told me I wasn't close to that...

I went to the Emergency Room last night because I was having pain to the right of my navel around where my appendix is. The doctor asked the normal questions: how far along are you? when was your last period? etc. I told him 11/28/12 so I think around 5 weeks. He said my urine sample came back that I am pregnant and everything looked normal, no UTI etc. He then said they were going to do an ultrasound. They did an internal ultrasound, then the doctor came in and asked if i was positive about the dates. I assured as I was since I was in the middle of a Food Safety class for work when it came and it was a day earlier than expected... he said the baby isn't big enough to have a heartbeat and therefore size wise I don't look like I am 5 or so weeks along. What does this mean? I mean, I used the "estimate your due date" thing on here and it is what said 5 and 1/2 weeks along and though I know it's just an estimate and that it obviously doesn't know when I conceived but I don't know... maybe my ovulation was late? or i got pregnant at the end of ovulation? Or maybe the baby is just small? I myself only weighed 4 lbs when I was born and I was on time I've always been small. Any input would be great!?!!

Blog Entries

Often times you don't see much before 6 weeks. I would really not worry and call your OB to make an appointment. Mention that you were in the ER for abdominal pain and they might want to see you earlier. The pain might have been caused by a cyst that is sustaining your pregnancy at this point.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

HRHeeter Guest

They said they couldn't find any reason for the pain, that everything looked normal. I figured that if they saw the fetus growing in a place where it shouldn't be they would've told me... right? They drew blood to check the HCG levels and they required me to go to the OB in 2 days so they can recheck my HCG level and make sure it is normally progressing. They said the baby was too small for a heartbeat and I thought a heartbeat starts around 5 weeks? That's why I wasn't sure.

Blog Entries

My RE wouldn't even do an ultrasound until I was exactly 6 weeks and there was a tiny little spot flickering that I couldn't even see but the RE recognized it. My OB wont even do an ultrasound until after 8 weeks.
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart

Babies are barely visible before 6 weeks. Even my 6 week scan looked like a blob with a HB. I wouldn't stress to much. Most docs won't even do an u/s before 8 weeks.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

HRHeeter Guest

Thank you both. I feel better now.

Same here my doctor said I can't even come in until I am 7-8 weeks along. Ill be going when I'm 7 wk 3 days. I have a short cycle so I will probably be exactly 6 weeks when I go (from conception) you mightve just O'ed late and conceived late or something. I O early so i suspect I should see and hear a heartbeat when we go. Ive been reading like crazy and they say about 6 weeks is when the heartbeat can be seen/heard.

Stopping in- Sometimes I think the ER doctors are a joke when it comes to pregnant women. Contact your OB/GYN in the AM. My Ob/GYN wouldn't do an u/s until estimated 8 weeks along because they said hardly anything would show up even a vaginal ultrasound would be hard to see much.

Quote Originally Posted by hotpinkmomma0811 View Post
    Stopping in- Sometimes I think the ER doctors are a joke when it comes to pregnant women. Contact your OB/GYN in the AM. My Ob/GYN wouldn't do an u/s until estimated 8 weeks along because they said hardly anything would show up even a vaginal ultrasound would be hard to see much.
    I totally agree with this!!! They told my best friend she was m/c ing in May and she is delivering her baby girl in 3 weeks! I hope your OB is able to see more when you go in. :]
    DD 05/14/2013

I agree, it would be surprising to see a heart beat before 6wks, and even at 6wks you can't always see much. The dr I saw will only do an U/S after 6wks or the hcg levels reach a certain point (forget what that is). At 5wks you should see a dark spot that is a bit of fluid in the uterus, and a round sac with a white blob. The whole thing is only a few mm.

HRHeeter Guest

I went to the OB. They said the opposite of What the ER Dr. Said. According to the OB gestation size is comparable with 6 weeks as of today. He did say it is too small to have a heart beat but he also said that sometimes heartbeats dont show til 7 weeks plus, bc I am not far along they Only did an internal u/s and Apparently my bladder was full-again- by the time i got in there lol so he added that everything was hard to see bc of that. He said everything looks normal, the baby is in the uterus and my HCG levels are perfect! I have a follow-up on the 24th so FINGERS CROSSED they can see a heartbeat!

That's good news! I hope your follow up goes well. I think every baby is different. With all 3 of my pregnancies I had a u/s around the 6 week mark. With the first pregnancy and this one we saw a heart beat. With DS2 I didn't see anything in the sac. Scared the crap out of me but the tech must have seen something but no hb. I went back a week or two later and all was fine! If your dr isn't concerned then I think that is reassuring.

*also, with DS2 was the only time I had an internal u/s and that is the only time I didn't see a hb around 6 weeks. Maybe it's harder to see that way?
    Angela (28) DH, Pat (30) DS Connor (4), DS Leo (2), DS Nathan

Great news!

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Blog Entries

Fantastic news!
    My Ovulation Chart