Thread: Should we go to the doctor?

Default Should we go to the doctor?

The twins (9 months old) have both had fevers since yesterday when they woke up. They get marginally better w/ibuprofen and tylenol, but the fever returns as soon as the medicine's out of their systems. The only other symptoms they're exhibiting are slightly runny noses and obviously feeling like crap.

If the fevers aren't gone tomorrow, should I bring them in?

i was just reading up on this...what are the temps? if they are consistently over 102 and not coming down with meds then they say to bring them in. if they are low grade, then Iwould give it more time.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Blog Entries

Yes, temperatures over 102 while on fever reducers would make me want them to be seen.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

Oh mama, I hope they get better fast
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Temps haven't gotten above 102.8, and they go down to around 99 w/medication.

Blog Entries

My only concern would be in they have the flu since it seems everyone is getting that. No cough, though?
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My blog about MCAD

No cough, and they have their flu shots.

I just took my daughter into the doctor today. She has had a fever since sunday. When I called the nurse today she said over 3 days with fever is the rule to be seen. She puked monday morning and night and has had diarrhea. They ran a strep test and it was negative, he said it was viral. I would hold off one more day before taking them in.

Quote Originally Posted by mla View Post
    I thought you couldn't get them under a year?

I would give the fever another day especially since it's not really high.

Hope they feel better!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would to check for strep. The only signs in little ones is a fever and a stomach ache which they aren't old enough to tell you about. You can try looking in there but just to be safe I'd take them in.

I took Adam on his 3rd day of a fever (103.5 ...my kids tend to run high fevers) and he had ear infections...no other symptoms than batting his ears occasionally but he does that when teething too.
    Dh (39) Me (37) 8bio 1adopted, 14 angels

Quote Originally Posted by macksmom View Post
    I thought you couldn't get them under a year?

I would give the fever another day especially since it's not really high.

Hope they feel better!
    6 months is the cutoff.

Laney's really sick today and sounds terrible. She also has an occasional barking cough. Alex is still "off." So I'm bringing them in this afternoon.

I would bring them in. Hope they feel better!!

My DS ran a fever for 3 days, slight runny nose, coughing, but other wise seemed ok. His fever would come down with meds, then right back up. He tested positive for both strains of flu....) : and he had pneumonia. He also had his flu shot....

Was hoping to hear that they were doing better :/ I would take them to the dr.

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    My DS ran a fever for 3 days, slight runny nose, coughing, but other wise seemed ok. His fever would come down with meds, then right back up. He tested positive for both strains of flu....) : and he had pneumonia. He also had his flu shot....
    Poor kiddo.

I would take them in. There is a lot of stuff going around right now. Flu, strep, RSV, croupe....

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

Hello, with no cough the flu would be unlikely. The flu epidemic right now, even people who have had their flu shots are getting it. Strep is also going around. I would have them seen, because a fever lasting that long might mean they need antiobiotics. Piggy-backing tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours will reduce the fever and suppress the symptoms, but if symptoms still exist treatment would probably be warranted. Hopefully it is something viral and will work itself out, but might be somthing worth looking into. I hope they feel better. BTW, my name is Allison.

Well, I just spent $50 to find out that they have a virus, and it will run its course. However, Laney *does* have croup, so the doc wants me to make sure to keep an eye on her breathing.

Well, I just spent $50 to find out that they have a virus, and it will run its course. However, Laney *does* have croup, so the doc wants me to make sure to keep an eye on her breathing.
    Oh well. I would have taken them today too with the new symptoms that you mentioned.

Hope they feel better!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

I would have taken them in as well. I cannot count the times I have been in the doc office to hear they have something viral and it will run its course...
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

My vote would have been no. There's a greater risk of picking up something really yucky at the pedi's office.