Thread: Valentine's Day Question

Default Valentine's Day Question

Last year, we had joined school in February, and it took me kind of by surprise when Mira came back with goody bags for Valentine's day. Small stuff, really. Some candy or chocoalte, pink Play Doh, that sort of thing. Is that the normal thing to do? Do kids give eacher other small tokens like that V-Day in school?

If so, and you do this with your kids, what sort of stuff do you send with your children?

We just moved so this will be our first Valentine in the new school, but at DD1's old school, they did. This year, I know there will be. We are in charge of snack for Valentine's Day so this year we will be doing a couple cute things. At the old school, they never allowed any outside food, so if we brought something, it had to be like a pencil and eraser/notepad/note kinda thing. This year, candy is allowed if it's wrapped and not consumed at school. Stealing this idea from pinterest, but I'll be taking a picture of DD1 posing like she's holding a lollipop. Then I'm going to stick the lollipop through the picture so it looks like she's actually holding it. I'm also thinking of doing either cake pops, cookies, or pink and white yogurt covered pretzels. I have a few other ideas on Pinterest that I can't think of right now.
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Yes, they did it at preschool and I assume they are going to at her Kindergarten too. I also was very surprised by this. The first year of preschool DD1 just did cards and came back with tons of stuff, and I felt terrible. The 2nd year we did http://pinterest.com/pin/134685845075844994/ this for DD1 and I did this for DD2's 2 year old class http://pinterest.com/pin/138345019775219543/ Not sure what we are going to do this year and I have to find out if they allow candy in the Kindergarten class. I do like to be crafty and make our own stuff instead of buying cards at the store.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

We didn't do any candies or treats, and didn't receive any, but were encouraged to give or make Valentine's Day cards for the rest of the class. It took me by surprise the first year, and I had to suddenly make 20+ cards with each child. The next year, I started much earlier. Thanks for reminding me.

I got a rubber stamp sheet the first year, and cut it out in a shape that each child wanted--I think DS wanted a dump truck, and DD wanted a tree. Then they each put the home-made stamp into red paint, stamped it onto blank card stock, and applied small heart stickers around it. The cards DS made turned out really cute--they looked like the dump truck was dumping a little load of valentines. I helped by outlining the shape, because it was still a little vague. It was a good way to do it en masse, and I still have some of the sheet left if we want to do some more this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ljs318 View Post
    Yes, they did it at preschool and I assume they are going to at her Kindergarten too. I also was very surprised by this. The first year of preschool DD1 just did cards and came back with tons of stuff, and I felt terrible. The 2nd year we did http://pinterest.com/pin/134685845075844994/ this for DD1 and I did this for DD2's 2 year old class http://pinterest.com/pin/138345019775219543/ Not sure what we are going to do this year and I have to find out if they allow candy in the Kindergarten class. I do like to be crafty and make our own stuff instead of buying cards at the store.
    I like both those ideas! Just not sure how to go about doing the card part and the writing. If I'm supposed to cut them out to look like that, well, we'd have a pretty huge problem.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    I like both those ideas! Just not sure how to go about doing the card part and the writing. If I'm supposed to cut them out to look like that, well, we'd have a pretty huge problem.
    You crack me up!

Quote Originally Posted by 3andMe View Post
    You crack me up!
    I have the feeling pre-school will be more challenging for me than her.

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

I hate Valentine's Day. Hate hate hate it. Last year the girls hole-punched paint strips (the samples with like 5 colors on them from the hardware store) and wrote to: XXXX from: Keira and Scharae (same class) and then I tied a ribbon in each one. I really just wanted to buy the stupid cards from the grocery store but they're all so commercial and lend even more tackiness to an already tacky day (really? My kid has to give an "i love you" card to the kids who are 100% unkind to them day in and day out? Really???). Not sure what we're doing this year. Maybe we'll be absent that day.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I did not read everything but growing up we did Valentines day cards. We made a box and it sat on our desk and everyone put a valentines day card in the box. Sometimes they had treats and others did not. I loved decorating my box. Such a fun memory!

Yes they do! Its very common. It's not expected by each child, but a lot of children participate in giving out valentines. I think its only in the past few years that 'gifts' have been attached to valentines cards though. It used to be card valentines and a special 'valentines day' party at school, where people would bring in treats to share with the class.

We do at the pre-school too. But our Walmart has cheapie holiday cups so I buy enough for every kid to have one and then put a few little things in it. Like a sucker, a small bubble blower, and some fruit snacks. I try to never buy chocolate or things made with or near allergens like peanuts since we are a peanut free home.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Babidol View Post
    We do at the pre-school too. But our Walmart has cheapie holiday cups so I buy enough for every kid to have one and then put a few little things in it. Like a sucker, a small bubble blower, and some fruit snacks.
    Ditto! It is also my DS' birthday so I take birthday cupcakes or cookies as well.

Ps. It is like that for EVERY major holiday at DS' school.

Quote Originally Posted by Suja View Post
    LOL, I think the site has a template on it. You just have to print it and cut it out. It actually wasn't that hard. ;)
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

Yes this is quite normal. Usually you send valentine cards and treats are optional. Well, it's all optional but always a nice thing to do since your child will receive these treats from other classmates. It's fun for the children and help them become more involved in the holidays. Something to look forward to every year!

I look forward to confiscating Laila's candy.

I'm probably going to send cupcakes, and we got a couple things for the teacher too.
    Personal space is overrated.

I am already dreading it. The only other time we had to deal with Valentines day at preschool was when DS was 2. He started just about a week before Valentines so I had no idea what to do. But we got a letter from the teacher that each child should bring some valentines and she included a list of names of all classmates. We made a little heart with stickers which was more my doing that DS because he really is not into crafts (neither am I, so this was kind of torturous for both of us ... LOL). It never occured to me that the school would allow the kids to bring candy so we did not send any. When DS came home that day, I found out I was the only parent who did not send candy. But given that DS was 2, short of 2 lollipops, I tossed the rest of the candy because they were all choking hazard size (just like some of the trinkets he brought). This time it just DD and she will love making something (so at least I am going to be the only one tortured ... LOL). I think I will look-up a cute craft online and will not include candy either.

Can I offer a suggestion from the teacher's point of view? There are some great ideas on here, and yes, most kids bring in something for each child in the class. But at the preschool/kindergarten level, if there are a lot of kids in the class I would suggest not putting the name of each child the valentine is addressed to and just sign it from your child. It is a lot of work to to sort all of the valentines and get them in the correct bags/boxes in the classroom. So we always asked them to not be individually addressed so we could have the kids just drop one in each bag (or we did it if we were low on time).

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

Valentine's Day is so.... popular at schools here. Cody is in a Pre-K program and they plan on doing a Valentine's day thing but, we are going let him pick out the card from The Dollar Store and have him take it school. They will pass them out. Candy at school though isn't usually allowed anymore unless its a special day like Valentine's Day however, we are not going to bring candy to Cody's school.

Mira let out that she is doing a project for her friends. Her teacher said no candy/sweets, so we're doing the crayons. It was a pain to peel them, but they came out looking nice. I am considering stealing from the watermelon cake thread, and making some watermelon pops or something along those lines.

And yes, we never put names on stuff. We make one for every child and stick it in their cubby! Too much work.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker