Thread: My 2.5 yo sons locked me out yesterday

Default My 2.5 yo sons locked me out yesterday

And this is, apparently, the funniest thing that anybody I know has ever heard. i spent 15 min begging them to unlock the front door...they did do so eventually. I sent a text to my sisters and they thought it was hysterical. One of them is in the hospital and has been showing the nurses and telling the story all day. Similar reactions from dh and mil. Now I have a key hidden out back!

Anybody else ever have it happen?
    My 3 yo cuties!

Blog Entries

I haven't been locked out of the house but it's always been one of my concerns so I always brought my keys. At my mom's they did lock their bedroom door and it took us asking a few times for them to unlock it. I don't even know that they knew what they had done.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

I get locked out at least once a month. Ususally I am loading her brother in the car and she is inside, closes the door and turns the deadbolt. Funny if it isn't happening to you when you are already running late!

My mil got locked out by my sil one day when she was about that age. She got a marker and did some decorating while she had the house to herself. Don't feel too bad, I locked Vada in the house when she was just a few weeks old. I was living with my parents on a 4000 acre plantation and we had no neighbors and the closest town was 20 miles away. We lived on a dirt road and we had to take the trash down to the end of the dirt road for pickup. I was getting read to put the trash in my truck and drive it down to the end of the road. I don't even know how I managed to lock the doors. I had my truck keys, but I had taken the house key off for some reason and didn't realize it until I walked out and shut the door behind me. This was before cell phones were everywhere. I had no way of reaching anyone, but my stepdad was working on the plantation about half a mile away. I had to drive over and get his key. It was the most terrifying thing, but when I got back and got in the house she was still snoozing away none the wiser.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

My sister locked herself in the bathroom about that age. She got scared and they couldn't talk her into unlocking it. Good thing it was a first story (well half a story up) and my dad put me through the window from the outside. After that, the bathroom door didn't have a lock anymore!

Jennifer, 35, DH 36

Yep

DD2 was about 2 and DD1 was 4. I stepped out to get the mail for TWO SECONDS and DD2 slammed the door in my face as I was coming back in. Smiling of course!

I was yelling for DD1 to open it. It took about 5-10 mins to explain how. I was SO happy when she did! She was my hero!
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Yes, my son has locked me out. We were living in apartments and I took the garbage to the dumpster and he had locked the deadbolt. I was banging on the door for him to let me in when my neighbor opened his door to see what was going on. Luckily as he opened his door my son unlocked ours. I was so worried, I also had left my cell phone in the house so couldnt call anyone.

The trick, when your child doesn't understand how to *unlock* the door is to tell them to lock it again. My husband locked himself in a bathroom when he was little and after an hour of crying on both his and his mother's part, she finally thought to ask him to lock the door again. "Click". And now, I have used that advice several times with various children, mine and just recently a friend's child at another friends house. So far without fail when you tell them to do it again, or lock the door again they just do it

The bad thing is when they are too little to reach the lock! That happened to me when my oldest was about 15m. Fortunately I was able to climb in a window!

My Aunty and her daughters were at the supermarket and she packed them in the car, packed the groceries, and went to open the door. Before she got there, the daughter locked all the doors. She was banging on the window telling the girls to please open the door. Then the older daughter starts screaming "STRANGER!! STRANGER!!" There was someone nearby who actually called the police!!!! When the police came, the girls finally opened the door. Oh man!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Quote Originally Posted by wannabmomof3 View Post
    My Aunty and her daughters were at the supermarket and she packed them in the car, packed the groceries, and went to open the door. Before she got there, the daughter locked all the doors. She was banging on the window telling the girls to please open the door. Then the older daughter starts screaming "STRANGER!! STRANGER!!" There was someone nearby who actually called the police!!!! When the police came, the girls finally opened the door. Oh man!
    Oh my gosh I can laugh since it wasn't my children! It reminds me of when Iwas on a lonnnng road trip with my best friend, her sister and her father and we wrote signs on notebook paper to hold up in the window saying "kidnapped, call police!" Lucky for us no one did!

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

I have not had it happen like that, because our dead bolt is so high up that my kids couldn't reach it until they turned five and became old enough to have a little more common sense, but I thought about it a lot and always leave the house, even just to stand on the porch to get the mail, with the keys in my pocket. They actually locked me out -on purpose, and with giggles - the other day, but I had my keys and they learned that results in an unhappy mom.

I had kids I babysat as a teen who locked me in the bedroom and actually left to the neighbors to play. Oh they were some rotten children!

Maiya locked herself in the car once. I had just strapped her in her car seat, and closed her door. Mine wasn't opened yet, and what I didn't realize was that she had my car keys. After closing her door and before opening mine, she started pushing all the buttons, and locked all the doors! She was young enough that she didn't know what she did in the first place, so didn't understand when I told her to push the button again. Then... She dropped them. And she was strapped in her car seat. Yup.

I had to call AAA, and when they realized a kid was locked in a car, even though she was perfectly happy and at ZERO risk of anything (I have a thermometer in there, it was 68, and the car was in the shade...), they sent the fire department. They wanted to smash my windows! Luckily, the tire truck arrived right after that and got the doors open...

Ah, memories...

Oh my, that is hysterical!! I often have visions of it happening, and I take my keys whenever I take out the trash or get the newspaper. Too funny - glad nothing serious happened in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I had kids I babysat as a teen who locked me in the bedroom and actually left to the neighbors to play. Oh they were some rotten children!
    Oh! Did you baby sit for them again? I had a child climb out his window to go play when he was supposed to be napping. He was gone the whole time I was there, came in just a few mins before his mother. I didnt get called back.

The odd thing is that it never occurred to me to bring my keys- they're usually at the door waiting for me! Our house has locking bedrooms so I did flip the locks when they moved into beds but for some reason the front door didn't enter my mind!
    My 3 yo cuties!

Some funny stories!!!
    Autumn (me) Darren () Naheana () Mahikoa () La'i () & Mana'o ()

Oh gosh! I'm glad they finally let you back it!
    Jennifer

lol.. too funny! now, I bet.. probably wasn't funny then.

the kids have never locked me out *knock wood*, but jayden did lock him and i in his bedroom about a year ago. we were stuck until dh got home from work. i didn't have my cell phone but luckily the ipad was in his room and i figured out how to get a message to dh. we had a key in his room high up in his closet for this reason but a few days prior he climbed up and found it and we hadn't rehidden it. he didn't like being locked in there like that and never did it again. and now we don't lock that door that he's older so its a non-issue. lol.

IT'S A BOY!!!

Marissa 12, Peyton 7, Jayden 5 and #4 due 7/4/2014

Actually it was my DH who had inadvertently locked me out. I was in the garage changing up laundry and he came out to tell me he was leaving and taking SD with him to the store. SS was in the house. DH locked the door from the house to the garage out of habit, locking me in the garage. I opened the big garage door and went around to the front of the house and tried to get SS to open the door. He was 5 at the time, but he is special needs and didn't have the dexterity to turn the door knob. So I was knocking on the door from the outside and he thought it was funny so he was knocking on it from the inside saying "hello, hello." I was trying to talk him through the window and he had his stuffed bear and he was having the bear wave his paw at me and cracking himself up. Then he starts giving me the sign for potty because we had been working really hard on pottying at the time. So then I felt terrible that I couldn't take him and he just kept telling me over and over. Finally DH came back and as soon as he saw me sitting on the front porch, he knew exactly what he'd done. I was about 7 months pregnant at the time, so all I could do at that time was cry. It's funny to look back on, but at the time I was not amused (even though I know it wasn't intentional.)
    Vicki 39 DH45 SD12 SS9
    DS Hudson Sept 23, 2009!
    DS Trevor July 29, 2012!
    "Fat babies have no pride" - Lyle Lovett