Thread: Allergy scratch test

Default Allergy scratch test

My DD is scheduled for an allergy scratch test next week. Maybe even blood tests, I won't know that until we're there and talk to the dr. I need some BTDT info. Please

(I'm nervous.... )

No experience but big hugs to you and Emme.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 5

My older dd had allergy testing done (pinprick style, similar to the scratch I think) when she was just a little older than E. They did it on her back so they would have plenty of room and so she couldn't see what they were doing (made it less scary for her). It did sting a bit and she didn't like it too much, but she was brave and I'm sure E will be too. It was over pretty quickly and it was good to know what her allergens were. We had to go back to have the tests read, but as I recall they could pretty much tell right away what caused reactions.
    Good luck!
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

We go Feb 1st. I'm nervous too. I posted a thread looking for experiences after we had our consult last week. Everybody said it went smoothly. I'm planning to bring a laptop w/ a video to keep him entertained in case they don't have tv. My ped said the scratch test is more accurate than the blood draw so that's all that we are doing. Our insurance only pays for the b/w but we are going to pay out of pocket so we get the more accurate results. Good luck.
    My 3 yo cuties!

Ds1 was a little over 3. Very smooth, very easy, awesome doc and staff. What worries you? Something in particular or just general worry?
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

We did the pinprick test on her back when she was 2. I explained what was going to happen and she sat on my lap and could hug me while she got poked. it wasn't until the last few that she started to cry, but just a little. Then she was saying her back was itchy (where she was allergic). It was over very fast and not traumatic at all.
    Good luck

My DD was just over 2 and no problems at all. I was very nervous too, but over very quickly without any tears. Daughter was fine too haha ;-) hope it goes just as well for you and yours x
    V (36) Single, working mum to DD (5) DS (3)

Piper was about 18 months and we had no issues. They put her in a halter top and had hem hold her with her back facing out. It was quick. The part she didn't like was the itching. I wish we would have brought more with us to keep her distracted! They actually did her blood first then the skin.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

My DS was 2.5 years old when he had it done. He didn't like them pushing on his back but he didn't cry. He just told them to stop it. LOL.

Like others said, he got bored waiting. They didn't have enough stuff in the room to keep him occupied and my phone (for once) was not entertaining him enough. He did want to scratch the one area that he was having an allergic reaction but I just tried to keep him busy so he wouldn't think about it.

Our doctor had two squares that had 8 pricks on each one. They press them on the back (1 press for each square) and that is it. Then you wait for 15 minutes. They will come in at different times to check on you and make sure everything is ok. At the end of the 15 minutes, they will put a ruler against the dots on the back that had an allergic reaction to measure it.

My big advice is to take plenty of stuff with you that will keep them busy so they don't get bored waiting.
    Sandy 36; Jonathan (DH) 38; Caleb born 11/5/09

DD has this at 11 months old. It's easy. She was slightly uncomfortable, but it was totally worth the slight discomfort for her to figure out some of her allergies. It was pretty much identical to my allergies. We did environmental, not food (we were able to chose) at the time, I was just worried about what she was being exposed to in the air because of breathing issues. She tends to eat a more vegetarian/no wheat diet anyway, so I'm not concerned about this. She's mostly a raw vegetable diet, drinks some milk and fish 1-2 times a week... and this has been working best for her.

Elliott was 5-6 months old I think. It wasn't too bad. It does really itch for them though. Elliott ended up falling asleep on my lap.
    Our Family <3 Est. July 2007 <3
    Samuel (5 years), Elliott (3 years), and Evelyn (1 year).

Thank you so much for the feedback!! It is comforting to know it's not as bad as I was imagining. She's a very reactive kid and I was picturing 20 minutes of pokes and scratches while she screamed the whole time. She is like me though and hates to be contained, so having to lay down or sit in my lap might be her undoing.

Now I'm starting to think we may have to reschedule her tests anyway. She's still broken out in hives from the antibiotic reaction. Day 7 of hives. She only had 2 doses of it. She's not supposed to have benadryl after today (3 days before the test).

Our instructions said no antihistamines a week before the test. I would reschedule too. I am sure she will do just fine. Good luck.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

Quote Originally Posted by tanyachap View Post
    Our instructions said no antihistamines a week before the test. I would reschedule too. I am sure she will do just fine. Good luck.
    Thank you Ya, I'm going to have to reschedule. She was still breaking out in new hives tonight, so I had to go ahead and give her some benadryl--- that's definitely inside of the 3 day window they gave me (I double checked their website, it says 3 days too). But who knows when these are going to go away, and if her body is covered in hives anyway they're not going to have any skin where they can do the tests.

She's been complaining now for the last 3 days that her eyes are bothering her, she wipes them constantly and touches her eyelashes a lot. I don't know if this is a new tic, or if it's part of the allergic reaction. She also asks me 10 times a day if I see anything in her throat. I worry she has hives in her throat(?) or her throat is swollen.

poor Em! I hope that she gets some relief soon. I did want to mention something that I learned from when Matthew had the tests done. The child may or may not react to a food on the skin test that he/she would react to if they ingested that food. I don't remember exactly why now, but the doctor said it had something to do with when they ingest the food and how it reacts w/the body vs on the skin. (I specifically asked the allergist b/c Matthew did not show any reaction to gluten when we know in fact that he does react to gluten if he ingests it).

Quote Originally Posted by anonsouthernbell View Post
    poor Em! I hope that she gets some relief soon. I did want to mention something that I learned from when Matthew had the tests done. The child may or may not react to a food on the skin test that he/she would react to if they ingested that food. I don't remember exactly why now, but the doctor said it had something to do with when they ingest the food and how it reacts w/the body vs on the skin. (I specifically asked the allergist b/c Matthew did not show any reaction to gluten when we know in fact that he does react to gluten if he ingests it).

That's really interesting because I had 2 different people tell me at Emme's party yesterday that they thought her hives actually resembled a gluten rash. I can't say that's true from what I've seen online.... it is raised and moves like hives, but it was strange that 2 different people said it.

Is the blood test for gluten allergy reliable as long as the person hasn't been avoiding gluten?

Skin tests can detect very strong allergies such as peanut/tree nuts; blood test is more reliable in detecting food allergies. However, diet elimination is the most sure way of telling. My very good friend is gluten sensitive and went to our pediatric allergist for her older son. She suspects he is gluten intolerant. Anyway, she was told that even a blood test can come negative regardless of whether they gave him or not gluten. So the best way is diet elimination. He is now going on GF diet. I think they are on week 2.

Do you have any gluten sensitive people on either side of the family? It does not have to be hereditary but often is.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

My mom suspects she is gluten sensitive/intolerant because she has several symptoms. Her recent blood test came back normal. She still avoids gluten for the most part.
    My DH's cousin (who was here yesterday, she was one of the people who commented Emme's rash looked gluten related) said she tested gluten intolerant via applied kinesiology. Her blood test also came back normal. But- she's allergic to abx as well. I told DH I *knew* Emme's allergies were all his fault (from his side of the family)
    I already do a lot of baking/cooking gluten free, initially because of my mom (who lives with us), but then I also realized that *I* feel better when I'm not consuming as much gluten. I wouldn't say I have symptoms of an allergy, just that my guts are calmer at the end of the day (if that makes sense) and I have more energy if I've avoided or had minimal gluten.