Thread: For those that had or are planning on a VBAC

Default For those that had or are planning on a VBAC

Did you ever think about just backing out of it and getting a c/s?
    Would you rather go through all the labor and delivery, or the c/s recovery?

I know some people will have repeat c-sections w/o a problem and some will. Some will be able to have a VBAC and some won't. I know this isn't exactly what you were asking for but I wanted to give a disclaimer first. My friend just had her second repeat c-section and had major complications due to the repeated c-section (cutting scar tissue, etc). She is having a rough recovery and on top of that has a 2 1/2 years old son, which makes recovery even more difficult. So in her case I am not sure if she would have rather waited a few more days or not. (She was on modified bedrest for hypertension & didn't want to be on it any longer, usual end of pregnancy discomfort, etc.)

Well, in my case, my first c-section was because my son was "too big to fit" and I was unable to deliver him vaginally. He wasn't a large baby, either, at 6 lbs. 10 oz. Erin was a VBAC because she was born so very early (25 weeks) and there was no issue of her being too big. With Laura, however, I was 35 weeks and the doctors could not tell me exactly how big was "too big." I had also had a LOT of premature labor with her prior to the 35 weeks. They said I could go through labor and possibly be able to deliver her vaginally, or it was possible that she would not fit and I'd have to have a c-section anyway. I opted to just have the c-section and not risk hours of labor and then having to have one anyway. My c-section recovery with DS wasn't too bad and I preferred that over the episiotomy recovery after Erin; however, my c-section recovery after Laura was a bit tougher, possibly because I already had two kids to deal with in addition to the new baby, or possibly because of my age and/or the fact that Erin and Laura were born less than a year apart. Would I have done anything any differently in hindsight? Probably not.

Erin had a c-section with Katie with her OB was afraid the pushing of delivery was not safe for her with her having a shunt for hydrocephalus. When she was pregnant with Nathan, however, she saw a neurosurgeon rather than just a neurologist and he said that with monitoring, there was no reason she could not at least attempt a vaginal delivery. In the end, she had to have an emergency c-section with Nathan anyway because of placental abruption.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!

No personal experience here I heard from my friend who had a c-section with her first she recovered pretty well and with her 2nd that was a planned c-section she was up and moving the next morning without any issues. She told me she felt great. However, I do not know anyone who has had a VBAC in "real life". The doctors here are really closed minded to that. My friend just wanted to get it over with too.

I'm having a planned c-section. I have to because my pelvic area is too narrow to give birth naturally as was discovered after 46 hours of labor, my daughter's head stuck in the canal, and an emergency c-section. No way do I want to attempt that again. Even if I didn't have a narrow pelvic area I'm too gun shy do go through labor again. My recovery from my c-section was easier than my labor. My only fear this time is that they will try to take me early and I really want to go 40 weeks.

My sister attempted a VBAC. Her first was breech, and she had a really tough recovery from the c-section. She went into labor naturally with her second, but labor stalled so the doctors recommended she have the c-section. She had been in labor for hours with little progress so she heeded the doctor's advice. It ended up being the right decision for her to repeat the section because her DS was sunny side up anyways, and her recovery was way better the second time around. She said she doesn't regret experiencing labor, but if she had known how things were going to turn out she would have just gone with the c-section again.

Anne (37) DH (37) Olivia (4) Harrison (1)

I had a c-section my first time after I dilated to 10 cm and my doctor wasn't comfortable with the heart rate levels of the baby when I was pushing. I opted for a VBAC the second time because I was mad at the decision the first time. I had no regrets or doubts about it I knew I had to try. It was a successful VBAC and we had the same heart rate problems but I doctor knew about the history. DS#2 is healthy and smart and vibrant and I never regretted the decision. Also big babies were an issue for me too but I still went for it. My first was 9.9 and my second at 37 weeks at 8.3. I just make them big even though I am only 5'3".

Interesting enough there is a correlation between asthma and c-sections. My c-section baby had bad asthma until he was 5 with attacks putting him in the ER. My VBAC baby doesn't have a single allergy issue at all. I always thought it was interesting.

I had 5 vaginal births before my 1st c-section. I didn't have a tough recovery. It was very typical. I had twins to care for, but I didn't have any trouble. The pain was way more than with my vaginal births and I needed more time to recover but not more than a typical c-section recovery. Compared to my vaginal births it was horrible, but as far as c-section recoveries go, it would be considered a cakewalk. C-section complications are pretty common ime. Uterine infections, incision infections, scar separation all seem to happen more often than not. I had a slight issue with my incision but it was easily treated. My problem with my c-section was that the actual birth didn't feel like birth. I don't want to offend anyone. My c-section was necessary which is why I had it, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. With my vaginal births I was actively involved in the birth process. I was working with my contractions, making decisions, pushing my baby out. Once they were born they were put immediately into my hands. I decided what was done to them and when. I kept them with me and was the first person to hold them. I was the first person they saw. With my c-section, I felt completely out of control. I wasn't doing anything, I was having things done to me. I had not involvement in what was being done to me. My babies weren't gently born and then passed immediately to me, they were tugged and yanked out of my uterus and with a brief glance at them they were rushed to a hard table where they were very roughly wiped down and suctioned and poked. They weren't being held by me or anyone else. Their first sight was of masked nurses and bright lights. I didn't have control over what was being done to them and when. It was definitely a more traumatic way to be born for both me and them than if they'd been born vaginally. When I conceived my 8th child I knew I wanted a VBAC. Imagine my surprise when my doctor told me I had a vertical rather than transverse incision. Still he supported my desire to VBAC, but I had some new issues during that pregnancy that I didn't really understand. In the end I agreed to a repeat c-section mainly out of fear and confusion. If I had to do it over again I would have made a different choice. Had I known how common it is for VBAC moms to have a much longer labor and a very long prodromal labor, I wouldn't have panicked and would have stuck it out. In the end, complications from that surgery nearly cost me my life. C-sections are put forth as safe and routine, but they come with very real risks to both mom and baby and especially to mom and especially to future pregnancies. If there's an option to avoid one, then I personally would do whatever I had to to avoid one. If I hadn't had a repeat c-section I might have had more children. Probably would have had more children. But having 2 c-sections with vertical incisions, I knew that any future pregnancies would result in another c-section, and 2 was already too many. I had a tubal ligation because I never wanted to have another c-section.
    Mary Jane, doula and mom of Vada, Brynna, Tea, Moira, Kyan, Ambria, Aslan, and Anakin.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

Someone just dropped a house on my sister!

I had two c-sections and a VBAC and I can tell you without a doubt, vaginal all the way!! My 1st c-section was bad and I had a painful recovery, but my 2nd wasn't bad... but in comparison to my vaginal recovery, it was NIGHT AND DAY. Seriously, I was amazed at the difference.

I am embarking on a 5th c-section. I have to deliver at 36 weeks or before becuase my uterus is weak...

if you have the option to try for a vbac, then do it...a c-section is a MAJOR surgery and you can die from them(I know unlikely) but you can...

I wish I had the option at all, but I never did....

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I had a VBAC almost three months ago, and am so glad that I did but I was pretty emotionally attached to having a VBAC, and I would have regretted not trying for it. On the other hand, while I anticipated feeling empowered from having a successful VBAC, I felt totally humbled by the experience because birthing really wasn't something I consciously did (well, except for drinking castor oil to get things started, lol), but my body really did all the work.

Recovery wise was interesting; I didn't have particularly difficult recoveries with either, but either way you go it just takes time. The recovery from the vaginal birth took longer than I anticipated it would but was totally typical of a first time vaginal delivery, and definitely hindered by chasing my three year old through a two story house on my own. I think if I'd had someone else there to help I would have recovered faster. My labor was quick and 100% unmedicated, and the high and the adrenaline from the actual birthing part was amazing - right after when the nurses offered me ibuprofen I told them "no thanks!" because I felt zero pain. A couple hours afterwards though, I was ringing that nurse bell!

All in all, I'm so grateful to have had a successful VBAC and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I had a C-section the first time after a 18 hrs of labor and three hours of pushing and baby got "stuck". I was told that my pelvis Is too narrow. Recovery was okay. But having to have that C-section was really upsetting to me

For my second baby I opted for a vbac Which was also a long labor not as long as the first But then two hours of pushing And the baby was in distress and i spiked a fever So they had to use a vacuum which popped off twice And the third time did the trick. My vbac Was successful however I had awful tearing And the recovery from that was pretty dreadful.

We are contemplating a third child And to answer your original question I do sometimes Think about just opting for a C-section. I would really like to do a vaginal delivery and hope for the best. But I'm scared. The doctors told me that they were worried if I didn't push that baby out with the third vacuum attempt they would have had to do an emergency C-section which would have been very dangerous And difficult for them because he was so far down.

I understand the risks of C-section are far greater than for a vaginal delivery But I would not want to go through the experience of having the baby stuck again and having an emergency C-section like that.

If we have a third child I am Hopeful for a vaginal delivery. I hear about all these women who pushed twice and the baby comes right out....and I wish and wonder if my body is ever capable of doing that.