Thread: Raising Happiness

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Default Raising Happiness

Pepperlru's other posts got me thinking about happiness, and I thought I'd share one of the things that I try to do on a regular basis with my kids, an idea I got from the book Raising Happiness. I actually tend to think of myself as a pretty happy person, and I often think of the things I have instead of the things I don't have. A lot of it may be innate, but I do think some of it was how I was raised, with pretty much nothing in material goods but a mother who stopped to appreciate the beauty of a spiderweb covered in dew, or a laboring ant, or who would encourage me to touch the bark of a tree trunk and compare it to another one nearby.

Anyway, many times when I am the one reading to the twins, I ask them if they can tell me three good things that happened to them that day, right before they go to sleep. They don't have to be super awesome things. They can be little things. They start getting in the habit of thinking about good things that happened, and studies have shown that people often remember the ending more strongly, so it's a great way to wrap up the day.

I'm going to do this tonight w/DS. What a great suggestion!

Thanks for sharing your practice, L! Great idea.

I love that. Thank you.

Great idea!

I did this a lot with DD1 when she was young. It was really nice, especially before bed, and led to a lot of cozy discussions. I've definitely slacked off, but should get started again and include Noe. Heck, all of us in my family could use a daily reminder of how good we have it.
    -- mom to DD1 1/98 and DD2 10/09

Just now reading all of this and its such a great idea.

Lindsay (25) James (32) Cody (5) Sophia (2)

That is terrific and I will do that as well. I do it sometimes but I would love to get into the habit of doing it every day.

I try to point out nature to them - the moon becoming visible at dusk, the sunset, our garden, etc. But I feel like I don't spend enough time actually enjoying my kids. It is SO hectic with 2 kids in different schools and a needy 1yo. Sometimes I feel like all they see of me is "stressed" or "exhausted" mom. I send DH out with them on the weekends so I can clean They don't often spend quality time with ME and worse than that, I don't spend quality time with THEM. For MY benefit. So I am trying to work on that

Thanks for the reminder!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

I love this!
    Natalie [31] DH [40] with the terrible chiweenies Ozzie and Sharon 9/01, 1/06 NaturallyNatalie's Hair Accessories!