Thread: NICU breast pumps / insurance

Default NICU breast pumps / insurance

After my neonatal consult yesterday the doctor said that she feels I will deliver between 32 - 34 weeks because of the complications we are having. We discussed how at that age, being a twin, male and Caucasian can leave the babies more at risk for breathing and eating problems and that they may need milk through a tube in the nose.

Anyway now that I have given you an over abundance of information here is my question. Have you ladies had issues with insurance covering the use of the hospital breast pump? I'm waiting to hear from my insurance about if that is something they pay for. If not I will just pack my pump.

Also, if you used a hospital pump how was that experience? Im sure its different at various hospitals NICUs but I'm curious.

My BCBS insurance covered the use of the pump in the hospital. My DS2 was in the NICU for a little while and I had a pump right there at his "station" that only I used every time I pumped while I was there. They had a curtain so that I could close off our area completely for privacy. Our hospital uses the Medela Symphony and it was AWESOME for quality and suction. All the attatchments worked on my Medela PISA as well, which was great. I hope you have a smooth experience and that your insurance covers the use!
    Last edited by sunkiss; 01-08-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    ~Andrea~

Medela symphony is AWESOME! My insurance covered in hospital & NICU had some we could use but I went ahead & rented for 4 months. I didn't even try to have insurance cover it.

We never even thought to ask for insurance to pay for the hospital-rented pump that we took home once I was discharged. But presumably, they did pay for the 4 days of use while I was admitted. At least, I don't recall a separate bill. (It was standard hospital procedure to bring a mother the hospital-grade electric pump if her child/ren was in the nicu - but it was also standard hospital procedure to have the lactation consultants visit every mom on several occasions while in the maternity ward. i.e., they visit all patients unless one rejects the consultations. There was no extra charge for that either so maybe it depends on what your hospital baseline is on breastfeeding?)

Maybe pack your own pump anyway. If you've used it and are happy with it, that may be all that you need. Or at least you'll have that option if you dont like the feel of the more industrial electric one.

Good luck with the babies!
    Last edited by ibisgirldc; 01-09-2013 at 01:14 AM.

3andMe is offline Every day is a gift. It's just... does it have to be a pair of socks? Hopelessly Devoted

Mine covered my hospital pump plus a rental at home for the first month after discharge, but I know all plans are different. It's worth checking. My hospital pump was great. I also got fully set up with all kinds of supplies.

There is new women's wellness legislation that covers pumps in full- that is a rental of a hospital grade pump. Needs to be medically necessary, not just working moms unfortunately but it's something! Definitely ck with insurance!

The hospital that Luke was born at had lactation rooms equipped with pumps. I had my own pump parts and tubing that I would bring with me, and then I was able to use the pump (Medela Symphony) for free. The parts and tubing were covered by insurance. I also had my own pump, but I did not think to run it through insurance at the time. Since it was medically necessary, they probably would have covered it.

Definitely check!

I did buy a pump a few months ago, and I know my insurance won't cover that pump. I just hope they cover the use of the hospital pump while we are there. If not I can use mine but it would be nice to have one less thing to bring.

BCBS covers them. I didn't rent one, but did check into it at one point.

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

as far as breast pumps and insurance goes...insurance plans are now required to cover the cost of rental or a breast pump. that was part of Obama care. I read it in my benefits coverages...

my experience is that a hospital pump works most efficiently and best...but my husband's best friend's mom is a lactation consultant and head of dept and she said that the PISA is just as effective as the Symphony...really...

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

I don't know if this helps or not but, if you qualify for WIC they will let you use a pump with all new parts as long as you need. They normally don't for freshly born babies but, I struggled and a LC at the wic office came out and brought and showed me how to use it. It was a lifesaver at that time. The office here the LCs will come out to the hospital after you deliver to get you started as well and since the babies will be born prematurely you will qualify for a pump to rent. If you don't qualify call your insurance and see what your options are. FYI- This is the pump I was allowed to borrow but, new parts sort of bulky but, it worked well and did not hurt (I was afraid it was going to hurt). http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...ect-breastpump
    Last edited by hotpinkmomma0811; 01-09-2013 at 10:17 AM.