Thread: Urgent opinion needed

Default Urgent opinion needed

Has anyone experienced a side effect from Motrin in children? DD's fever jumped to 104C(40.1C) and I gave her Motrin since Tylenol hasn't been doing a good job. That was around 7.20pm. Her fever gradually came down completely, she was cheerful, ate and drank (she hasn't been eating much). At night she started waking up disoriented, complaining on horrible headache, all sweaty, freaking out. I am taking her to the doctor (it's 6am now) today as this simple cold is turning into something way too long (day 3 of fever).
    Any input appreciated. All she complains about is headache. Her throat is clear. Nothing else hurts, just her legs are uncomfortable. No rashes.
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook

Had no problems with it. We have alternated with tylenol, if directed by the doctor.

I think it is more likely the fever and illness, rather than a side effect. The flu had been bad this year in many places. My health department nurse MIL said the flu that is going around is not the one the vaccine covered so even vaccinated people are getting it.

Can you take her in to the doctor today? I'd be worried too. We haven't had that complication. Has she had enough liquids?

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

We've been making her drink juice and water. She had a PB sandwich around 1am. She really didn't know where she was but she could answer my questions like what the name of her teacher was and what the teacher's Chinese name was (we live in China). A month ago she her routine A+C meningitis vaccination and had another cold 2 weeks ago: 24 hours of 102 fever and then she was ok but coughed for a week. I am definitely taking her today to see a doctor, there is no question. I dreamed of her falling down and having a crack and a hole on her skull hence behaving so weirdly.

I hope she is okay and feels better very soon. Please KUP

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Out was probably the fever making her disoriented, fever dreams can be very strange and feel real. The sweating might have been the fever breaking. I had the flu with fever recently, it was the first time I had been sick like that on a long time. I think asd adults we further how weird it is to have a fever because it doesn't happen often. I how she is feeling better soon!

Thank you, ladies. I will keep you updated. Hope it goes away soon. 3 days is not a joke - last time she had fever like that was with gastro-enteritis and she got alopecia which hasn't recovered from yet.

I hope she is ok!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (20M)

Blog Entries

I am allergic to all nsaids and my first reaction when I took motrin/ibuprofen was an immediate bad headache. I've only taken it three times and the third time was awful enough that we figured it out and told my doctor about it. Since it was so delayed I do not think it had anything to do with the motrin. I hope that the doctor has some answers for you!
    Jessica (32) and Ryan (32). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    Check out our business, JRSolutions.

Hugs mama. Hoping for a good update.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

I hope you get answers asap!!!

Checking in... hope your LO is doing ok and you are getting answers!

Hope she is doing better...keep us posted.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (5 1/2) and Jericho (3)
    My Blog!

Sorry, I didn't update.
    She ended up being diagnosed with stomatitis (gingivitis?) - basically, herpes simplex 1 aka cold sores but all over her tongue and gums. The disorientation was due to high fever running for a few days. Totally fever stayed high for about 5 days, sores appeared on day 3 and went completely away on day 12. I kept her home from school till after the New Year's. Thank you for all good thoughts and suggestions!

sounds like she has influenza, not a cold..........

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

holy wow...my daughter had that when she was 23m. it was the most awful thing we ever experience. she had a temp of 104 for 14 days and finally on day 7 they put her on an antiviral Acyclovir to stop them from spreading more...it was seriously horrible.

On the flip side...the first 'herpes' infection is always the worst and now she does get cold sores here or there, but 1 at a time and no more than that and she is almost 7...

Hang in there, lots of thoughts and prayers.

Jenny~ Mama to Katelyn(7), Ben(my angel in Heaven, 6), Megan(5), Allie(2years), Nora(8m)

Oh wow. Erin and I got oral herpes like that one time when she was young. Erin got it first and then I caught it from her. One of the worst things I've ever experienced in my life. Neither one of us have had any issue like that since, no cold sores, nothing. Glad your LO is better.
    Lynne, Grandma to three beautiful girls and one handsome little man!