Thread: Ouch!

Default Ouch!

Nursing has been hurting lately. Tonight I realized that its gotten to the point where I am bleeding. Ouch. I think its mostly because she has started biting. Usually I say "OUCH!" somewhat loudly and pull her off sharply. But lately, I am so sore that I can't really feel if she is biting, or if the strong suction is just hurting the sores that are already there. I'm wondering if she has started grazing her teeth against me while she is nursing? I don't even know if that is possible. She has also been congested which is also causing her difficulty.

So help! How can I help myself heal? And how else can I teach her not to bite?

I wanted to nurse for at least a year. I nursed DD1 for 18 months. I had a beautiful mostly pain free (except the very beginning) experience. But with DD2, we started out with an ongoing thrush problem for the first 3 months, which was also very painful. I'm starting to wonder how long I can keep this up if its going to hurt all the time.

I remember that, their little teeth rubbing can really hurt. Lanolin can sort of help, as can airing out the boobies whenever you can. When it was too much for me I'd pull the baby off for a bit and say "ouch!" to him. If he got upset I'd wait a few moments and start again. DS2 was good about being more careful if I did that.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

I found that when DD was hurting from teething, her latch got really lazy and bad...she would slurp the nipple into her mouth, not be open wide, etc. Check your latch and make sure that you are maintaining good latching habits.
    She did bite (sort of) a few times, and I would pull her off and say, "OUCH! That hurts mama!" and then try again. The biting didn't really last and was never a full on genuine chomp.
    I have nipples of steel, lol, and haven't had to deal with much in the way of residual soreness, so I can't really comment on that. I'll just reiterate - check your latch. Hope it gets better soon!
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

I would focus on a correct latch and do lanolin on a disposable pad between feedings. I may even pump for one feeding just to get a break. I too have been having lots of pain and trouble with nursing after perfect nursing relationship with my other kids! I said to DH the other day that I can't wait until she is a year so I can stop I never thought I would say that but I am just not enjoy it

I hope they heal!

Oh, as for getting her to stop I have heard unlatching and ending the session or pushing your boob into their face but I don't understand that one....sounds like it would hurt more....
    Thing 1 (8), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)