Thread: Preschool class size

Default Preschool class size

How many kids are in your child's preschool class? And how many teachers? I'm looking at a preschool for DS who will be 4.5 when he starts in Fall. It has 20 kids to 2 teachers. Is this big or average? He is a shy guy who might have problems separating when the time comes.

My DD currently has 14 students and two teachers. I think max is 16 at our school.

10 kids 2 teachers (she is in 3K). I think they can go up to 20 kids with 2 teachers in our 4K program.
    Becky

In our school, my 4.5 is 8 kids to 1 teacher, my ds2 is in a class where they are allowed to have 12 kids with 2 teachers but they have only 7 kids with 2 teachers. Their school is pricey, very expensive IMO. There is no way they can fill th e toddler classroom IMO. But for us it is worthy as ds1 is not an easy going child. In his previous school, he was in 20:2 ration and was overwhelmed by the number of students as well the presence of older kids.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

10 kids and 2 teachers is the max for DS's age (2) right now but when he moves to the 4 year old classes, it's 1 teacher with a classroom of 8-10 kids.

My son is also very shy, but has really warmed up to his teachers and "friends". Are there any other preschools nearby with a smaller student/teacher ratio?
    Angela, Andrew & Nicholas

Three sweet angels in heaven

My oldest is in a class of 11 kids with 2 teachers. It seems just the right size.
    Megan (29) and Jayson (31) Happily married 9 years

The triplets are in a peer program at our local Head Start school, this is their 2nd...and last, year there. I think there are 12-14 kids in their class, they have 1 teacher and 2 full time assistants.

~*~Katrina~*~ Momma to Xander, Hayden & Lily (6) and Jericho (3 1/2)
    Trying to complete our family...My Ovulation Chart for my LAST try !

In our preschool, the 4-yo class was max of 16 kids for 2 teachers (DS's class was 14 kids) Every other place I looked was advertised as 10-1 and they all had 20 kids and 2 teachers. I think 10-1 is the legal limit in our state.

Blog Entries

Ali's 3 y/o class is exceptionally small...5 kids. There is one teacher and one parent helper each day. When my older DD was in the 4's class she had 18 kids with 1 teacher, 1 assistant, and 1 parent helper.

~ Cassie, mama to Madison (8), Ali (4) & Wesley (new dude!)

It's going to depend on your state and what the child to teacher ratio is allowed to be. For my 4 year old the ratio is 9:1, so there are 18 kids in her class with two teachers. However there are two classes going on at once, and they sometimes combine to do signing, and play time...

*Kimberly* Mommy to Hayden (7), Alexis (5), Makenzie & Brooke (18m)!
    Looking for some bows for your little one? check us out --> www.sweetnsassycouture.com

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmom View Post
    Ali's 3 y/o class is exceptionally small...5 kids. There is one teacher and one parent helper each day. When my older DD was in the 4's class she had 18 kids with 1 teacher, 1 assistant, and 1 parent helper.

My DD2's 3 year old class is super small with only 5 kids as well. This is our first year at a cooperative preschool and while I loved the concept of being able to participate, I was really worried about the small class size. There is one teacher and one parent helper (most days). Turned out to be a great fit for both me and DD.
    Growing fast... DD1 (6) & DD2 (4)
    Forever loved, forever missed... Twin Girls with us for 19w3d 6/12/06

I wanted to add that in my DS1's case, it made a huge difference having a class of 8:1 versus the class of 20:2. Although the ratio is not that different, the smaller class was more welcoming and not intimidating.
    KEVIN (6) & MATTHEW (4)

20 kids, 3 teachers.

2 teachers with 15 kids, but other teachers come in as well to do teaching activities like french.

Fifteen kids with 2 teachers with other teachers rotating in to do specials such as Move, Music, Spanish.

10 kids to 2 teachers, but he's in the 2 yr old class.

In DS pre-k class 4/5 yr olds there are 18 kids, 2 teachers, and always a new student teacher every semester.

3 teachers for 21 students in DS' preK class
    Formerly villagespin

8 kids, 1 teacher

8 kids on tue/9 on thur w 2 teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    How many kids are in your child's preschool class? And how many teachers? I'm looking at a preschool for DS who will be 4.5 when he starts in Fall. It has 20 kids to 2 teachers. Is this big or average? He is a shy guy who might have problems separating when the time comes.
    Parker's class (she is in the 4-5 year old class right now) has 18-19 kids (one child doesn't come all the days) to 2 teachers.

In my son's VPK class it's 11 students and 1 teacher.
    Shelley-mom to DS, 6

My 4yo has 10 kids and 2 teachers. 12 is max at his school.

20 seems like way too many at that age.

I think Josh's was 12 kids and one teacher but she had high school student helpers for at least part of the year.
    20 kids seems like a lot. Josh's K class has 23 kids and one teacher (but again she has helpers from the high school and one other adult helper, I think)

The preschool Micah will go to (and Abby did attend) is 10 kids with 1 teacher. For those same classrooms on Tues/Wed/Sat/Sun when we use them for Bible class we have a ratio 15 kids with 2 teachers.

Mama to Abby, Micah & Alexis - Our Blog

Wow. My DS is in pre-k. There are 3 classrooms--each class has 22 kids, 2 teachers/room.

The 3 year old class has 12 kiddos/2 teachers, the 4 year old class has 14 kids/2 teachers.

Me (Jen), DH (Mike), DD (Amelia Corinne, born April 25, 2008), DD (Liana Elise, born Sept 28, 2010)