This is kind of a spin-off of my previous thread about community. I've been thinking a lot about these subjects after reading a thought-provoking article a friend sent me:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paula-...b_2325700.html

The article is about things people do to cultivate happiness/contentment. One of the main points was about building a strong social fabric, which is where my other thread came from. But there was also this, which I found interesting:

They cultivate spiritual emotions. According to Lyubomirsky, there is a growing body of science suggesting that religious people are happier, healthier, and recover more quickly from trauma than nonreligious people.[5] In addition, authors Ed Diener and Robert Biswas-Diener explain in their book Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth that spiritual emotions are essential to psychological wealth and happiness because they help us connect to something larger than ourselves.

It made me wonder: If you are a nonreligious person, do you consider yourself spiritual? Do you need spirituality? A sense of connectedness? If you don't, do you feel content without it? If you do, where do you find it? Do you meditate, do yoga, practice gratitude and kindness (I am thinking of one particular friend of mine who, I think, practices kindness as her religion)? Do you practice any rituals that feel spiritual to you but may not to others? (Thinking here of a cousin, a marathoner who seems to find her daily run a spiritual experience.) Do you think ritual practice and spirituality can exist without a god or gods, and if it's not connected to worship of a god, can it still be an enriching part of life?