Thread: Ready to start asking and prepping....

Default Ready to start asking and prepping....

But I am clueless as to where to begin. I have prefolds and covers and some AIO's. Most of them are used but a few are new. Can someone explain to me exactly what I need to do to get these ready?

I should also mention I have a front loader with steam option, I don't have an extra water option, and I can do extra rinse/spin cycles but not just an extra spin on its own.

I'm 35 weeks today so I'm working on diapers, clothes, and my hospital bag!
    Last edited by Babidol; 01-05-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

Blog Entries

I know nothing about front loaders. But here is a general guideline for prepping.

New Synthetic materials (microfiber) - wash once and you are good to go.
    New Natural materials (cotton, hemp, bamboo) - wash at least five times, often takes up to 8 times for full absorbency.
    Used materials - wash once and go.

As for your wash cycle, most people do a prewash to help prevent stains, a hot wash with soap and then two rinses. You'll have to play around with this once you have soiled diapers to see what is going to work with your water, soap and washing machine. You want the water level to be high enough that all the diapers float around but low enough that they rub against each other.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Thank you! I haven't started them yet but I have some new and some used. So this will take multiple very small loads. I think I will add white towels or baby blankets to help get the loads a little heavier.

Make a pregnancy ticker

I have a front loader, and it is really pretty easy. I usually do 2 cycles on the normal setting, no spin, heavy. Then I do one cycle switching no spin to high spin. I then do my "smell check" and move to the dryer if they pass, if not add in a rinse and spin. I honestly have not had any issues with mine, let me know if you have any questions.

Todays avatar was brought to you by shirtwoot!

As far as washing the used, add peroxide into the load and it sterilizes them.

Quote Originally Posted by JJorn View Post
    I know nothing about front loaders. But here is a general guideline for prepping.

New Synthetic materials (microfiber) - wash once and you are good to go.
    New Natural materials (cotton, hemp, bamboo) - wash at least five times, often takes up to 8 times for full absorbency.
    Used materials - wash once and go.

As for your wash cycle, most people do a prewash to help prevent stains, a hot wash with soap and then two rinses. You'll have to play around with this once you have soiled diapers to see what is going to work with your water, soap and washing machine. You want the water level to be high enough that all the diapers float around but low enough that they rub against each other.
    This is exactly what I've done with mine, and so far so good! I'm loving CDs!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by rachoochoo View Post
    As far as washing the used, add peroxide into the load and it sterilizes them.
    Where would I add th peroxide? In the drum or with the detergent?

Make a pregnancy ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I have a front loader, and it is really pretty easy. I usually do 2 cycles on the normal setting, no spin, heavy. Then I do one cycle switching no spin to high spin. I then do my "smell check" and move to the dryer if they pass, if not add in a rinse and spin. I honestly have not had any issues with mine, let me know if you have any questions.
    This is great info! Do you do normal with a warm/cold or hot/cold setting?

Make a pregnancy ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Babidol View Post
    Where would I add th peroxide? In the drum or with the detergent?
    With the detergent

Instead of washing your prefolds 5-8 times, you can boil them on the stovetop for 15-20 minutes with a tiny little bit of blue Dawn dish detergent (1/4 teaspoon). Then rinse well and do one wash cycle in the machine with no soap. Works great, saves time and water.
    D-Mama (37) D-Dada (43) and D-Baby (11/02/2011)

If the pre-folds are diaper service quality prepped do I need to actually do the prep thing with them again? I thought I could just wash them once with the other used diapers?

Make a pregnancy ticker

Blog Entries

If they are already prepped I would just wash them one time. If water beads on the surface they are not really prepped (that is how you can tell with all natural fibers. If you fling a few water droplets on the surface they should be immediately absorbed when they are ready to go).

I have never done anything but washed used diapers. A hot wash with detergent is good enough to kill the E.coli in poop so why would you need to do something else? If you really want to do something, you a small amount of bleach.
    Jessica (33) and Ryan (33). Madelyn born August 5, 2009; Malachi born December 23, 2010 and Nathaniel born July 19, 2013. Lost a loved baby 02/29/12, 05/14/12 and 07/05/12 all due a serious allergic reaction to fabric softener.
    My Ovulation Chart , My blog about MCAD

Do you have detergent just for your diapers? If you throw towels in, make sure they don't have fabric softener on them. I have an HE top loader and it has a Bulky setting that uses more water. I'm pretty sure I've read the steam setting can break down anything with Pul. Basically, the waterproof part on most diapers and covers shouldn't be any hotter than the "hot" setting.

I don't have detergent yet but I'm planning to use tide original powder. I stopped using any kind of fabric softener or dryer sheet months ago in preparation of the diapers. I'm hoping any residual build up is gone from both the washer and dryer. I won't use steam. I figured that would hurt the diapers. I do have a heavy setting so I'll try that. I've also heard to wet the diapers too and fool the washer into thinking there is more in the load.

Make a pregnancy ticker