Thread: When to purchase breast pump?

Default When to purchase breast pump?

I found out today that my policy with United Health Care through my husband's work will not cover breast pumps because they are self funded and his company chose a grandfather clause so they would not have to comply by the new Health Care reform. What a pain! I am so disappointed. I didn't even know they could do that!

So my 1st question is, at what point should I purchase a pump? Do I really need one right away? I eventually want to pump so that Dad can help feed the baby, but not until we hit our groove nursing together. We are due in a couple of weeks. I will be a SAHM.

Also- Single or double? Manual or electric? Do we really need a $300 pump?

2/17/2012

I got my pump as a baby shower gift. I got an ameda purely yours. The plan was for me to go back to work, and that is why I bought it. However, I ended up staying home. I used it a few times with DS1, thinking that DH could help out. Well, DS1 didn't take a bottle well at all, so I gave up. With DS2, we never even bothered with a bottle since I was always around.

I don't think you really would need a $300 pump if you are only planning on using it occasionally. I also think that you have time to buy one since you won't need to build a stash as a SAHM, you can pump as soon as you are ready to introduce a bottle.

I wouldn't buy a $300 pump for occasional use. They gave me a manual pump at the hospital that worked really well the first few months. After that I bought the lansinoh double electric for less than $150. It was a great pump. This time im going back to work so I'll need a really good pump.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I would wait and see if you need one, and then figure out which kind might work best for you. That said, I didn't buy one ahead of time and DS wouldn't latch at all, so I ended up stopping to buy a Medela PISA, on the way home from the hospital. Best of luck!
    Jennifer

I say wait too. I had a medela and then an advent hand pump that worked really will for occasional pumping with my older kids. My last baby, who was early, was the only one I meded a good pump for. And I haven't used it once since she was 3m and was nursing well. Imo there are other easier ways for dad to bond with baby.

Thank you for the insight ladies! I will wait to see what we are working with after he comes.

2/17/2012

Oh and check with your insurance! They are now mandated to cover breast pumps. At least call and see what they will cover and how.

Mommy to Piper 6/5/09 and an 11/2011
    Make a pregnancy ticker

I love the Avent Isis manual. I pumped at work for a year each for my first 3 kids. The Avent Isis was just as good (but a single) as my Medela. I did get the Avent Isis IQ Duo (double electric) with my second and LOVE it but the manual would be plenty. If you do buy an electric, I'd order it after the baby is here so the warranty starts later. No point in it sitting around not being used and the warranty running down. I like having a manual pump while engorged the first week or two so I can easily pump off an ounce to relieve pressure. Milk Savers are a great way to save some milk without pumping at first too.

While I think you could wait and be fine I actually would buy one before the baby comes for a few reasons: 1) you can become familiar with how it works, the parts, etc. If you have never seen one or used one they take a little while to get used to. 2) When your milk comes in and your body is adjusting to your baby's demand you may get engorged and uncomfortable. You can pump a bit to relieve some of the pressure. 3) having a pump and having spent money on a pump will increase your chances of being successful at breastfeeding and decrease the temptation to supplement with formula (imo).

All that said, I would not buy a top of the line $300 pump. Something in the $150 range would probably be fine. I would definitely get an electric as opposed to manual and a single instead of a double. My kids always fed from one side at a time so before my body adjusted to that I would pump the opposite side and build a nice supply that way.

Good luck!
    Thing 1 (7), Thing 2 (5), Thing 3 (2)

Babidol- My insurance policy doesn't cover it. My husband's company chose the grandfather clause and will not be covering ANY of the new mandated reforms. Makes me so mad!

Maybe I will buy a single electric before he gets here. I forgot about engorgement!

UPDATE- I ended up finding a brand new double electric on ebay for about $100 that had good reviews around the web so I snagged it (and normally between 150-225). Hopefully the seller was truthful!
    Last edited by MellieOham; 01-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.

2/17/2012