Thread: running while pregnant

Default running while pregnant

Anyone else trying to keep running during the pregnancy? I would like to keep running as long as possible, realistically knowing that I'll probably switch to walking in the 2nd trimester. But, reaching a heart rate of 140 is really not much of a workout at all. I can easily carry on a conversation around 150 bpm. I'll ask my doc, of course, but just wondering if anyone else has any tips.

My friend is a runner and ran for a while during her 1st tri but had to stop when she started spotting. Other than that I don't have any experience bc I would have trouble running to save my own life

I did for the first and part of my second but I had to stop because I have getting bad pain in my lower abdomen.

I did until put on my heparin at 6 weeks. If it wasnt for my doc saying to do no excessive workouts and to stick to swimming and yoga I would still be running. I would talk to your doc and see what they say. Congrats on your pregnancy hun!

Sammi(me)~DH(Troy)~DS(Kyle)~DD(Rebecca)My Blog

I think as long as you are watching heartrate & temp, and listening to your body, it's fine. I dunno if it's just me, or if it's common, or if it's a multip thing, but watch out for mega horrible round ligament pains. If I pushed too hard, I would be debilitated the next day. It never kicked in til my 4th time in the 3rd trimester, even with working out daily with Jojo, so hopefully you'll stay clear of it this time!

Meg (30), DH (40) & the 4 J's (Almost 7, 5, 3.5, 21 months)

I've cut down my pace and am just keeping it to 2.5-3 miles at a time. Today I just tried to keep my heart rate around 150ish but mostly just went by how I felt. I just know that I feel so much better mentally when I run, so I want to try to do it as long as possible. Maybe I'll switch to the elliptical at some point to cut down on the joint issue. I had horrible hip pain with Finn starting in the 2nd tri but never really had it with Phoenix. Hopefully my hips are all good and stretched out by now!

I miss running already! I am getting so short of breath so quickly already. Between that and MS I think my running days are behind me for the next 10 months or so I cant even work up the motivation to go to go to the gym. Feel like it is pointless if I can run. Pretty sure you can just listen to your body though. Because I have seen, what seems like, very pregnant women still out there running. Wouldn't suggest marathon training though.
    Katy - 26, DH - 26, DD - 4

Make a pregnancy ticker

I ran through most of my last 2 pregnancies. I think with the last I ran until about 32wks when my hips just couldn't handle it. With the baby before I think I made it a few more weeks.

The 140 thing is extremely outdated. Go by percieved exertion. You want to avoid raising your core body temp for too long (same reason for no hottub). But as long as you aren't over doing it and everything feels ok, it should be.

I think its okay as long as you don't take it to the extreme. I would double check with your ob though.

Quote Originally Posted by runningmomofmany View Post
    I ran through most of my last 2 pregnancies. I think with the last I ran until about 32wks when my hips just couldn't handle it. With the baby before I think I made it a few more weeks.

The 140 thing is extremely outdated. Go by percieved exertion. You want to avoid raising your core body temp for too long (same reason for no hottub). But as long as you aren't over doing it and everything feels ok, it should be.
    Thanks! 140 seems very restrictive. I wish they would update the guidelines!

I run until 7months..kept it to 3mi or less at a time but would sometimes go for a second run later in the day. After that I do brisk walking :-) . My preference though is a combination of walking and running because it works different muscle groups.

With my last pg I didn't exercise in my first tri...hx of m/c and I felt my body needed to focus on baby-growing :-). I also took a break between 32 and 37wks for the same reason.